Caught in a boot loop. All parts have been replaced

Luke Trewern

Hi all, I'm really hoping someone may have the answer for me, as I'm pulling my hair out here. 

A while ago I was using my PC and it crashed. Then when I tried to restart it, it the fans would start to spin up, but only at a very low RPM (not as fast as usual), the rgb would come one, but I do not get any video output. It's not booting.

I tried an alternate PSU and that didn't do it, same problem.

I then tied other Ram, but it was ddr3 that was not compatible with my board. I didn't know this at the time.

This led me to believe it was either the CPU or MOBO. So I then replaced the CPU to see if it was that, but still same issue.

Then I replaced the Mobo and was confident this would be it. Nope same issue.

Now I was really pulling my hair out, did some more research and found out that I the DDR3 I tried would not have been compatible with my board. So bought new DDR4. Replaced it, and couldn't believe my eyes when I still had the same issue.

I essentially have a new PC with these 3 components, and somehow the issue has carried over to it.

I'm really stuck with what to do, I've been fixing and building computers for the last 10 years so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, but this has stumped me. Please send help.

Ryzen 3700x & 5600x

2x Aorus pro wifi x570 mitx

2 x Corsair vengeance RGB pro 16gb 3600

750w gold PSU. Can't remember what make.

I do have a 5700xt but this is not the issue as it's not in when I've been trying the new parts. I have also tried with it in as well at all stages of new parts.

Just looking at the title either that is not actually true, or (more likely) it is a software problem.

Looking at the description, a PSU, memory, and a cpu do not a new machine make.  Very conspicuously the motherboard (which has over a dozen components on it) is absent from that list.  It is imho the second most likely hardware component after the PSU to be a potential problem.  My real first suspect here is software.  In particular the bios.  The machine as described would want a PSU of probably around 650w to work well.  I don’t know if you’ve got that or not.

Things to try:

make sure your PSU is actually up to snuff

reset the CMOS. 
try it
reflash the bios with whatever is current from a NEW DOWNLOAD It might be the exact same thing as what you already have on there.  That’s ok.  Do it anyway.

reset the cmos

try it

IF THAT doesn’t work we can start worrying about the motherboard for which the make and model will be needed.

It is possible I suppose that you can’t reflash the firmware because you can’t get the thing to post in the first place.  Your motherboard may have an off board bios flash system involving a USB key.  Your manual will know.  I personally consider that feature de rigueur  for any ryzen system, as they need a lot of bios flashing.  There are a lot of boards made without it though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:52 AM, Bombastinator said:

Just looking at the title either that is not actually true, or (more likely) it is a software problem.

Looking at the description, a PSU, memory, and a cpu do not a new machine make.  Very conspicuously the motherboard (which has over a dozen components on it) is absent from that list.  It is imho the second most likely hardware component after the PSU to be a potential problem.  My real first suspect here is software.  In particular the bios.  The machine as described would want a PSU of probably around 650w to work well.  I don’t know if you’ve got that or not.

Things to try:

make sure your PSU is actually up to snuff

reset the CMOS. 
try it
reflash the bios with whatever is current from a NEW DOWNLOAD It might be the exact same thing as what you already have on there.  That’s ok.  Do it anyway.

reset the cmos

try it

IF THAT doesn’t work we can start worrying about the motherboard for which the make and model will be needed.

It is possible I suppose that you can’t reflash the firmware because you can’t get the thing to post in the first place.  Your motherboard may have an off board bios flash system involving a USB key.  Your manual will know.  I personally consider that feature de rigueur  for any ryzen system, as they need a lot of bios flashing.  There are a lot of boards made without it though.

So, I have just tried a known working PSU and still nothing. I have also tested my PSU on another system and it works.

I have tried to flash my bios over the weekend, but I'm not getting any feedback from the board. There should be a les that flashes if bios is being flashed successfully, but doesn't come one.

When powered on fans start to spin but absolutely zero video output. Video cable is known good as well as monitor. 

I have replaced CPU, MOBO and RAM. Not at the same time, but in that order. Is it possible that because all parts weren't replaced at the same time, the issue has carried over to one of the parts? Seems unheard of to me.

Or is it possible that something was DOA.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, without actually taking it to someone with spare parts to try everything out. 

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

CPU - R7 3700X & R5 5600X

MOBO- AORUS PRO WIFI X570 MITX

RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600

PSU - EVGA 750 GOLD PLUS MODULAR 

1 hour ago, Luke Trewern said:

So, I have just tried a known working PSU and still nothing. I have also tested my PSU on another system and it works.

I have tried to flash my bios over the weekend, but I'm not getting any feedback from the board. There should be a les that flashes if bios is being flashed successfully, but doesn't come one.

When powered on fans start to spin but absolutely zero video output. Video cable is known good as well as monitor. 

I have replaced CPU, MOBO and RAM. Not at the same time, but in that order. Is it possible that because all parts weren't replaced at the same time, the issue has carried over to one of the parts? Seems unheard of to me.

Or is it possible that something was DOA.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, without actually taking it to someone with spare parts to try everything out. 

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

CPU - R7 3700X & R5 5600X

MOBO- AORUS PRO WIFI X570 MITX

RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3600

PSU - EVGA 750 GOLD PLUS MODULAR 

Or you didn’t replace the part that is broken to include software/firmware

you apparently have access to another machine. There is the Linux liveCD trick where you pull all the drives so the machine can’t even tell they exist and then try to boot off a Linux bootable thumb drive. If it’s the bios though that won’t work, but does work would tell you it’s probably not (but still could be because versions) the bios firmware, likewise if it doesn’t the bios firmware come under heavy scrutiny.

the PSU is taken out of the equation though which simplifies things.  
Is there anything up with your thumb drive you were attempting to flash with btw?  Probably not, but may be worth checking. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Was your CPU installed? What port did you put the USB in? And what was the BIOS file named?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Was your CPU installed? What port did you put the USB in? And what was the BIOS file named?

@IkeaGnome seems to be looking at your flash process.  I don’t know enough about it to be able to even comment.  That gnome has a long beard though and his hat is very pointy.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

@IkeaGnome seems to be looking at your flash process.  I don’t know enough about it to be able to even comment.  That gnome has a long beard though and his hat is very pointy.

Here ya go.

image.png.e7a8fa860519cb2b40d7478452eb25ab.png

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Here ya go.

image.png.e7a8fa860519cb2b40d7478452eb25ab.png

Cool.  I’m also wondering about thumbdrive formatting.  Big thumdrives are formatted exFAT but can be reformatted to almost anything else. So it could be something else.  It’s also possible the board can only read FAT though it seems unlikely in this day and age.  Stuff  that can read exFAT can also read FAT as a rule, but they shave those boards down as thin as they can.  Might require a specific format.

Edited by Bombastinator

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s also possible the board can only read FAT though it seems unlikely in this day and age.

It's highly likely.

I didn't realize I cut the first set of steps off above.

image.png.1faa8dbe499afa78a5404c121947f3af.png

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

It's highly likely.

I didn't realize I cut the first set of steps off above.

image.png.1faa8dbe499afa78a5404c121947f3af.png

Ugh.  FAT has a really low max address.  It’s 32bit.  There probably aren’t any thumbdrives formatted in it anymore that aren’t yellowed with age.  Windows will still format something in FAT for you if you demand it.  If you paid money for the drive though (or even if you didn’t) expect it to shrink in size a lot.

Edited by Bombastinator

14 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

CPU - 5600x

Thumb drive went into the bios flash port.

File named gigabyte.bin 

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ugh.  FAT has a really low max address.  It’s 32bit.  There probably aren’t any thumbdrives formatted in it anymore that aren’t yellowed with age.  Windows will still format something in FAT for you if you demand it.  If you paid money for the drive though (or even if you didn’t) expect it to shrink in size a lot.

I made sure to format it in FAT32 as well.

CPU - 5600x

Thumb drive went into the bios flash port.

File named gigabyte.bin 

And was your cpu installed in the motherboard when you tried to flash bios?

gigabyte.bin or GIGABYTE.bin?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I made sure to format it in FAT32 as well.

First or second time?  If it was first the formatting isn’t the problem.

Edited by Bombastinator

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

First or second time?  If it was first the formatting isn’t the problem.

First time.

4 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

And was your cpu installed in the motherboard when you tried to flash bios?

gigabyte.bin or GIGABYTE.bin?

CPU was installed.

gigabyte.bin

3 minutes ago, Luke Trewern said:

CPU was installed.

gigabyte.bin

Try again following the directions from Gigabyte. They want the file name to be GIGABYTE.bin and no CPU installed.

image.png

Notice how it wants your motherboard completely bare except for the 8 pin CPU power and 24pin motherboard power connectors. Nothing installed, nothing plugged in besides those and your USB drive. "Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will shut down upon completion." 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Try again following the directions from Gigabyte. They want the file name to be GIGABYTE.bin and no CPU installed.

image.png

Notice how it wants your motherboard completely bare except for the 8 pin CPU power and 24pin motherboard power connectors. Nothing installed, nothing plugged in besides those and your USB drive. "Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will shut down upon completion." 

I renames the file, and removed CPU. 

Still no feedback from the LED. 

Tries with RAM installed and not installed. Still nothing