Does FreeSync only fixes the problems of screen tearing or it also help remove ghosting, smearing, blurring problems in monitor?

Go to solution Solved by baronvonsatchel,

It's just there to reduce tearing. All it does is vary the refresh rate to match the frame rate. This means you don't get a new frame while still drawing the last one, which is what causes tearing.

It can sometimes help with visible stuttering compared to traditional vsync. If your frame rate is less than your refresh rate, vsync will sometimes hold a frame back for two refresh cycles which helps with tearing, but you will perceive it as a micro-stutter. Freesync or Gsync will display frames as they are rendered without sticking to a rigid "schedule," up to the monitor's maximum refresh rate, which prevents tearing without the stutter.

The response time numbers from manufacturers are mostly BS, cherry picked from unrealistic testing conditions. A couple times on LTT they have talked about VESA's new clear motion standard which is meant to counteract this, but afaik it's not been rolled out yet. If you care about ghosting and other response time-related artifacts, for the time being you'll have to look at reviews.

Hi. I understand that FreeSync help fix screen tearing problems. But suppose a 60Hz monitor has high response time (e.g. 8 ms or even 20 ms, instead of low response time like 1ms or 4 ms) and you're playing games at 60 FPS. And you notice the games have ghosting/blurring/smearing problems. Now you enable FreeSync:

Then, does FreeSync only fixes he problems of screen tearing and stuttering or does it also help remove ghosting, smearing, blurring problems caused by bad (high) response time?

PS: I am not sure if this was the right thread to ask this question. Please let me know if I should have posted it in PC Gaming instead?

Basic FreeSync is just the variable refresh technology, but FreeSync Premium and any of the G-sync variations also includes requirements for display quality, so seeking a monitor with any of those will have some quality level.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It's just there to reduce tearing. All it does is vary the refresh rate to match the frame rate. This means you don't get a new frame while still drawing the last one, which is what causes tearing.

It can sometimes help with visible stuttering compared to traditional vsync. If your frame rate is less than your refresh rate, vsync will sometimes hold a frame back for two refresh cycles which helps with tearing, but you will perceive it as a micro-stutter. Freesync or Gsync will display frames as they are rendered without sticking to a rigid "schedule," up to the monitor's maximum refresh rate, which prevents tearing without the stutter.

The response time numbers from manufacturers are mostly BS, cherry picked from unrealistic testing conditions. A couple times on LTT they have talked about VESA's new clear motion standard which is meant to counteract this, but afaik it's not been rolled out yet. If you care about ghosting and other response time-related artifacts, for the time being you'll have to look at reviews.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

4 hours ago, baronvonsatchel said:

I am buying 75Hz monitor. Dell S2421HN. Luckily I found review about it on Rtings.com. They say it's decent but not good. Saying it has blurring ghosting problems. The official response time is 8ms (normal), 5ms fast, 4ms extreme. But review says it has around 20ms actually! So I was worried. I have played some games mostly on my Dell Inspiron laptop at 60Hz. Never noticed any ghosting problem or maybe I didn't notice. Only issue was low fps due to bad GPU. Unfortunately they don't mention laptop screen response time. Now, not sure if this monitor I am buying would be worse than laptop screen in terms of ghosting. 

Yeah that is a very budget-oriented monitor that isn't really targeted at gaming. So they haven't paid much attention to things like ghosting, but the marketing guys still wanted to put some numbers on the box. Maybe someone like Hardware Unboxed has done a "cheap gaming monitors roundup" type video that could help you find something decent.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G