Need help deciding Cpu generation with the current ddr4/ddr5 debate

WoofyDaTechHound

So been looking through all the new tech and I knew ddr5 had become a thing. With my initial research and talking to others it seems rn its not worth the money/performance that ddr5 is giving rn due that it hasnt been optimized enough yet to fully unlock its potential hitting around the 6000mhz speeds. This seems like again a "early adopter" thing for people to invest now to wait X months/years before the full potential is unlocked and get very similar performance rn to ddr4 at a slightly higher price. 

My dilemma is to whether go Intel and just swap board and ram once these are no longer a early adopter thing or go with a 5000 series ryzen and go full ddr4. My current takeaway is go ddr4 for now and just buy into the new tech once its ironed out the efficiency  issues

17 minutes ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

My dilemma is to whether go Intel and just swap board and ram once these are no longer a early

Dont just keep your ddr4. By the time you want more performance its not gonna make sense yo swap board and ram to get a little extra performance vs just getting a new board, ram and cpu.

Currently ddr5 is in early adopter mode and I say about at where the ddr4 2666mhz range atm for speeds that arent too expensive to get. So give it a couple more years before we reach the good stuff at a good price.

19 minutes ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

My current takeaway is go ddr4 for now and just buy into the new tech once its ironed out the efficiency  issues

Pretty much but dont buy into it just to buy into it. If the system you use is still plenty good then dont bother.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Pretty much but dont buy into it just to buy into it. If the system you use is still plenty good then dont bother.

Rn got 2700x with 16gb of 3200 but along with my gpu (1660 super) that the amount of vram and L2 L3 cache that get used on some games make it almost unplayable. Damn even deep rock galatic and warzone struggle bc it maxes out my ram on them

1 minute ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

Rn got 2700x with 16gb of 3200 but along with my gpu (1660 super) that the amount of vram and L2 L3 cache that get used on some games make it almost unplayable. Damn even deep rock galatic and warzone struggle bc it maxes out my ram on them

Cache isnt "maxed" out its a very volatile type of memory and every couple miliseconds it can have changed fully multiple times.

Are you monitoring with msi afterburner?

How much ram do you have now?

If you have a 2700x and a compatible board just get a 5000 series ryzen. They are plenty good.

If you are indeed running out of vram then well lower your settings. The 1660 is a 1080p 60fps+ card at high settings but can do more with just dropping settings.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Cache isnt "maxed" out its a very volatile type of memory and every couple miliseconds it can have changed fully multiple times.

Are you monitoring with msi afterburner?

How much ram do you have now?

If you have a 2700x and a compatible board just get a 5000 series ryzen. They are plenty good.

If you are indeed running out of vram then well lower your settings. The 1660 is a 1080p 60fps+ card at high settings but can do more with just dropping settings.

Rn running 16gb of 3200mhz and a x270 so dead chipset. With 6gb of vram that gets maxed pretty quick even at moderate settings but some high it struggles if not almost caps out, in system says there is only like 5gb of usable vram tho. The small cache on the cpu seems to get maxed easily on newer titles

21 minutes ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

Rn running 16gb of 3200mhz and a x270 so dead chipset. With 6gb of vram that gets maxed pretty quick even at moderate settings but some high it struggles if not almost caps out, in system says there is only like 5gb of usable vram tho. The small cache on the cpu seems to get maxed easily on newer titles

x270 doesnt exist.

If you meant x370 most have a bios that allows up to ryzen 5000.

You cant see the cache being maxed. This is not revelant here. Do you mean shared ram between the gpu and system? Graphical assests or anything of thr kind are not stored in cache.

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

x270 doesnt exist.

If you meant x370 most have a bios that allows up to ryzen 5000.

You cant see the cache being maxed. This is not revelant here. Do you mean shared ram between the gpu and system? Graphical assests or anything of thr kind are not stored in cache.

x470, been so long since i ever looked at my mobo. However i need a new mobo anyway bc the one i got lacks all the connectors for fan controllers, rgb controllers or a few other hook ups

1 hour ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

So been looking through all the new tech and I knew ddr5 had become a thing. With my initial research and talking to others it seems rn its not worth the money/performance that ddr5 is giving rn due that it hasnt been optimized enough yet to fully unlock its potential hitting around the 6000mhz speeds. This seems like again a "early adopter" thing for people to invest now to wait X months/years before the full potential is unlocked and get very similar performance rn to ddr4 at a slightly higher price. 

My dilemma is to whether go Intel and just swap board and ram once these are no longer a early adopter thing or go with a 5000 series ryzen and go full ddr4. My current takeaway is go ddr4 for now and just buy into the new tech once its ironed out the efficiency  issues

I would honestly go for 5600X and DDR 4 16GB 3600Mhz CL16 and a better GPU if you have the possibility to uograde your 1660S and just sit back and enjoy gaming for the next 3, 4 maybe 5 years. 

This new hype for new generation is a problem of  consument devouring everything new.  I would just wait until october or early november to just check prices, because I think that will be the sweet spot for buying.

- Anyway, and although you will see ZEN4 CPU'S and RAPTOR LAKE CPU's punch in the face that 5600X by a bit, games aren't really demanding all that juice. It's like new NVIDIA's 4000 series gpu's. It's too overkill for nowadays... Don't go with the train, and above all do whatever you feel like, after, of course, making some research to clarify your doubts.

3 minutes ago, fAED said:

I would honestly go for 5600X and DDR 4 16GB 3600Mhz CL16 and a better GPU if you have the possibility to uograde your 1660S and just sit back and enjoy gaming for the next 3, 4 maybe 5 years. 

This new hype for new generation is a problem of  consument devouring everything new.  I would just wait until october or early november to just check prices, because I think that will be the sweet spot for buying.

- Anyway, and although you will see ZEN4 CPU'S and RAPTOR LAKE CPU's punch in the face that 5600X by a bit, games aren't really demanding all that juice. It's like new NVIDIA's 4000 series gpu's. It's too overkill for nowadays... Don't go with the train, and above all do whatever you feel like, after, of course, making some research to clarify your doubts.

Ill go with 5900x if i get a cpu. Im rn looking at either a 3080ti or 6800xt 

4 minutes ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

Ill go with 5900x if i get a cpu. Im rn looking at either a 3080ti or 6800xt 

In the Netherlands, the difference between a 5900X and a 12700K are 30€. I would rather choose a 12700K.

As for the GPU's, I guess the 3080Ti performs better than 6800 XT. So for a better comparison I would add a 6900 XT which is almost same price as a 3080 Ti.

And between 3080Ti and 6900 XT, that will only depend if you really care about Ray Tracing (3080 Ti). Other than that, 6900 XT would be just fine!

2 minutes ago, fAED said:

In the Netherlands, the difference between a 5900X and a 12700K are 30€. I would rather choose a 12700K.

As for the GPU's, I guess the 3080Ti performs better than 6800 XT. So for a better comparison I would add a 6900 XT which is almost same price as a 3080 Ti.

And between 3080Ti and 6900 XT, that will only depend if you really care about Ray Tracing (3080 Ti). Other than that, 6900 XT would be just fine!

6800xt performs within a few fps of a 3080ti at $200 less so its a much better option for the price but i prefer nvidia. 

As with intel, i need to look much much more into how these dual core design they are using for better performance

53 minutes ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

x470, been so long since i ever looked at my mobo. However i need a new mobo anyway bc the one i got lacks all the connectors for fan controllers, rgb controllers or a few other hook ups

Which one do you have? I can not remeber any x470 that lacks rgb n stuff. Fan controllers only need 1 header. What other connections do you need?

Could look for a board and do some price comparing then.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Which one do you have? I can not remeber any x470 that lacks rgb n stuff. Fan controllers only need 1 header. What other connections do you need?

Could look for a board and do some price comparing then.

x470 strix gaming f. when i went to plug in my corsair controllers i found that the needed pluggins were not on the board but could go buy adapters to fit 

50 minutes ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

x470 strix gaming f. when i went to plug in my corsair controllers i found that the needed pluggins were not on the board but could go buy adapters to fit 

Weird normally its just the 4pin rgb header.

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

Weird normally its just the 4pin rgb header.

Same, but when plugged in to what i thought was meant to work it just never got recognized

5 hours ago, WoofyDaTechHound said:

Same, but when plugged in to what i thought was meant to work it just never got recognized

Then I doubt its a board issue. Or the cable was turned arund as that does matter.

Dont forget it still needs power and it wont be recognized as a corsair appliciance just a rgb controller bybyour boards software