One pair of headphones, multiple input devices

Sarra

So, I have two computers, a Steam Deck, and plans for more computers soonish.

I'm currently using Windows, Windows with Linux in a VM, and my Steam Deck (in desktop mode unless I'm gaming), and everything runs through cables to a 4-1 Audio combiner/volume mixer, then into a hardware EQ, then my headphones.

My gaming machine, running Windows, has a decent DAC, and my headphones are DJ headphones, IE, reasonably decent quality. I love the setup, absolutely no complaints. The problem is that I watch youtube, listen to music, and use my Deck, and when gaming, I get a buzzing in my headphones that is in line with GPU load. I can stop this buzzing, by turning the volume knob for my second PC's input, down. I've replaced that cable. Both PC's are on separate a separate UPS, and even if I plug them into different outlets, the buzzing persists (separate outlets, as in, I run an extension cable and plug into an outlet in my kitchen for one, leaving the other one in my computer room). Hell, I get the buzzing if both UPS are unplugged and running off battery.

So, I think I'm going to try Audio over Ethernet.

I'm reverting to this as a last resort. It absolutely sucks butt to have NO audio if my gaming PC is rebooting. The mixer isn't the issue, I've swapped cables, added in clamp-on ferrite core magnets, etc., I just can't figure this out. It is almost inaudible, even at max volume, until it gets humid or rains, then it gets really obnoxious.

So, anyway, back to Audio over Ethernet.

What software should I look at for multi-platform? Goggle returned SonoBus, but I've got no experience with it. So, what would be best recommended for Windows, Linux, and my Steam Deck? Keep in mind, in the future, I will be running Linux on everything, Window's future is very limited in my personal computer builds.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

If I'm reading this correctly, you're gaming on PC1, the buzzing corresponds to the GPU load on PC1, but the buzzing goes down with the volume on PC2?  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

2 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

If I'm reading this correctly, you're gaming on PC1, the buzzing corresponds to the GPU load on PC1, but the buzzing goes down with the volume on PC2?  

Correct. And yes, my brain is absolutely destroyed over this, as well. It follows the audio cable from PC2, as well, so it's not the volume mixer.

Edit: Today, when I get home, I will grab my multimeter and check for voltage between the earths on the outlets my PC's typically use, as well as voltage between the hot and neutral pins between the outlets. We might have a bad ground wire somewhere, but I sorta doubt it.

Does switching the DAC from PC 1 to PC 2 stop the buzzing? If it does you can probably resolve it with a cheap USB DAC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Does the buzzing persist if you close the Linux VM?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

4 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

Does the buzzing persist if you close the Linux VM?

Yes, the Linux VM is mostly irrelevant, though that machine will soonish switch over to Linux with a Windows VM instead.

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Does switching the DAC from PC 1 to PC 2 stop the buzzing? If it does you can probably resolve it with a cheap USB DAC.

I'm not sure, I will try that when I get home today.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:35 AM, BobVonBob said:

I gave this a shot, and the buzzing was still coming from PC2's input, even through the DAC. Plugging my headphones directly into an output on PC2 has no buzzing, though, so... I'm baffled.

I THINK I have a solution. I'm going to get a minisforum mini PC, and it's going to be a print server, network monitor, linux test box, etc., and it shouldn't be difficult to simply run my DAC from that, and use software Audio over Ethernet, with that as an Audio server. I can keep my DAC, move it into the SFF PC mounting bracket (get it off my desk), and eliminate several wires from the nightmare made up of multiple other nightmares behind my desk. 😄

• 1 month later...

Okie dokie, I'm updating this for the final time (yay.mp3).

I was looking at a Level1 KVM, and noticed that Wendell recommended getting a ground loop eliminator for audio solutions. So, I loaded up Amazon.com and found just one of those, and wow, it's completely eliminated the buzz.

I bought one with a removable/replaceable cable, and hoy, it's smaller than it looked in the images (this is good). Best $10 I've ever spent. 😄

My final sound setup is: 4 inputs (two PC's, Steam Deck, and my Phone) all running from their audio outputs (DAC for my gaming PC, onboard audio for the Steam Deck and my server, and an Audio DAC for my phone)  running into a Little Bear audio Mixer with the server's audio running through the GLE, the Little Bear runs out to my EQ, and the EQ dumps into my headphones.

I'm extremely happy, so much so that I'm buying another TP-Link USB 3.2 Gen1 USB hub. Because why not. :3