Gaming/Workstation Upgrade? Noobie needs HELP

Budget (including currency): ~4000-5000 € (Euro)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: playing a variety of retro/indy/AAA games, streaming, video editing, game developing in Unity and programming, basic office work/web browsing, beginner graphic desing, music producing as a hobby

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Hey, so i have a pc that i built around like 4-5 years ago and i dont know if i should upgrade or just build a completely new one.

I'm aware of new hardware coming rn and willing to wait a little bit til around like early next year, max march or something idk. 

My existing pc and its parts: 

- MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x 

- CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Dark rock pro 4 (~1,5 years old, i had an AIO but it died)

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3000mhz

- GPU: Asus ROG Stirx Geforce GTX 1080 OC

- PSU: Corsair RM750x 750 Watt 

- Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB m2 ssd (4 months old), WD Black 1TB HDD, Toshiba P300 3TB HDD;

+ Samsung 970 evo 500gb which i used when i built it but recently swapped it to a new one

- Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung SHG50; Mouse: Logitech g703; Keyboard: cheap membrane one; Headphones: HyperX Cloud II; Camera: Logitech c920 

- Case: NZXT dont remember the exact type 

Preferred brands: asus, corsair, samsung, logitech - since i have a good experience with them but change my mind 

Since i have a monitor i want to use it as a secondary and buy a new one to be my main monitor, oh and definetly need a new keyboard, myb mouse too. And need recomendations for drawing tablets i belive they are called that.

I think i pretty much listed everything, but if you have questions or i left something out feel free to bombard me with them.

How hardcore is the video editing?

Otherwise update bios, slap a 5800x3d in it and depending on the new gpu upgrade the psu.

Also what case? If you dont know send pictures. Most nzxt cases have garbage airflow and can severly limit cooling which can be problematic when you add too powerfull hardware.

Here are some pictures from it. I think it was called h150 elite or something but it is kinda nonexistent now.

Editing is only for personal use and myb friends or commisions so not that extreme. (So max 2-3 times a week I guess) 

20220930_000215.jpg

20220930_000232.jpg

20220930_000243.jpg

Well your motherboard should be able to run any of the Ryzen 5000 CPU since the 1700 could draw quite a bit of power.  But on that note, with a huge cooler like that, have you OC'd it to 4.0/4.1GHz yet?  Should be doable with 1.4 or 1.4125 volts, and you'll see a pretty tasty performance bump.  That GPU should OC nicely too if you run the OC scan in MSi Afterburner. 

If that's not enough a 5700x and a 3060 should do really well in unity, but in gaming the 3060 wouldn't be worth upgrading over the 1080.  For a meaningful gaming upgrade you're probably gonna wanna wait for new GPUs.  12GB of VRAM makes a big difference when rendering in UE5 and Unity, and nVidia tensor and RT cores can do some pretty sweet acceleration in these.  SO right now, the 3080 12GB would be the only GPU to upgrade to for your use case (3060 would be great for unity, but it will only game a little faster than the 1080) , but new ones should be better if AMD implements better RT cores or has an answer to tensor cores, or if 12GB nVidia cards get cheaper or better.

Try OCing the CPU, see how that does, and maybe think about getting a new GPU later this year, and taking a sweet discount on a ryzen 5000 CPU when Ryzen 7000 hits the market.  The 5700x or 5900x would be nice if your OC'd 1700 still isn't cutting it, or a dirt cheap 5600 if you aren't doing a ton of hardcore editing (it'll game pretty much the same).

The case's airflow isn't spectacular, but those vents at the top and bottom should be big enough to get enough air in for the radiators on your CPU cooler and GPU.  So long as you have good exhaust it should be fine.  Try turning your intake fans up to full speed at all times and see if that improves anything.  You'll get over the dull hum, it becomes white noise very quickly.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

I would suggest waiting a bit, probably to Jan 2024. By that time B650 AM5 motherboards and locked Raptor Lake CPU with B670 motherboards should be available.

The PSU, CPU cooler, and storage could be reused. Although you may find it easier to go all new and sell the existing system.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 hours ago, TheWortex said:

Here are some pictures from it. I think it was called h150 elite or something but it is kinda nonexistent now.

Editing is only for personal use and myb friends or commisions so not that extreme. (So max 2-3 times a week I guess) 

20220930_000215.jpg

20220930_000232.jpg

20220930_000243.jpg

Yeaaaahhhh so you have their second worst case every released in terms of airflow.

So I really would recommend a new airflow focused case when upgrading.

Plenty options out there but you might specifically like the phanteks p300a, p360a, p400a

Bequiet 500dx, 500fx

Fractal pop air

As for upgrades:

5700x if you focus on budget, 5800x3d for max performance.

Then well slap whatever card in there you want (maybe hold on just a little for rx7000?) and a psu upgrade if going to 3080 or up or a rx6900 or up.

Then you once again have a top of the line gaming system for about 1500?

Hey, so after a few days of testing with overclocking and all i have come to the conclusion that my temps are bad compared to other builds that i checked with fans running at full speed. So i definetly need a new case. What do you guys think about a corsair 5000d airflow or Bequiet 500dx maybe?

Oh and the other thing is i think i need more RAM couse fl studio needs a lot when i load in plugins and all. Any recommedations? I thought about getting 2x16 gb or 2x32 gb idk which one will be better in the long term. 

About the upgrade, i think i might end up buying an rtx 3090 or rtx 3090ti paired up with myb the ryzen 5800x3d later this year. Or should i buy instead an another cpu with it? Any thughts about it? And what is a good psu for this combo?

Oh and i almost forgot, since i need a new monitor (~500-1000€) and mouse (~100) any recommedations? I need the monitor to be my new main one so myb 1440p or 4k with min. 144hz? For the mouse i like my current one but it is in a very bad state since it is old, i might just get the same one (logitech g703) or do you guys have better alternatives?

All in all the conclusion is that rn i need RAM, a monitor and a mouse. But i might just end up passing this system over to my friend for a lil cash since he needs a pc for only gaming, or myb i will just make a simracing setup from it for my stepdad and me. So yeah but that will be later this year, since i basically need almost everything to get chantged thats why i will myb just end up building a new one. If it comes to that what motherboard and cpu cooler should i go with?