Ryzen 5800x3D as an upgrade

Hunlight
9 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

to add it up, hell no 500 eur spending on just cpu makes me cringe. I thought of going intel 13k just for satisfaction on a whole new build, new part, fresh start etc.

Thats gonna be a loooot more than 500 togheter 馃槢

15 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

Im getting 120fps, then 60fps, then random drops to 20fps in the middle of nothing special happening around. While people with worse cpu as someone mentioned, getting much more stable fps around 60 with drops to like 50-40 tops but for just a moment. Just double checked temps and clock speed, all around 4.0 and 60C while in game.

Pbo should be in the oc tweaker thingy.

Also the other people are they playing in 16:9 resoltions or your 21:9?

This is because at your aspect ratio you see more on screen. Something the game wasnt designed for. Which means more drawcalls, interactions,... will be happening on your screen compared to people with a normal monitor which can explain the heavier drops.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Pbo should be in the oc tweaker thingy.

Also the other people are they playing in 16:9 resoltions or your 21:9?

This is because at your aspect ratio you see more on screen. Something the game wasnt designed for. Which means more drawcalls, interactions,... will be happening on your screen compared to people with a normal monitor which can explain the heavier drops.

I tried to launch game in 16:9 same thing happened had little higher average but same weird fps drops.

and yes I knows all together its more than 500 but the satisfaction of new rig is well enough 馃槃聽but yeah would may pref only cpu switch if I could know that it could help even a little.

2 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

I tried to launch game in 16:9 same thing happened had little higher average but same weird fps drops.

and yes I knows all together its more than 500 but the satisfaction of new rig is well enough 馃槃聽but yeah would may pref only cpu switch if I could know that it could help even a little.

It should. Its faaaar better than a 8600 and matches/beats a 12900k

Just now, jaslion said:

It should. Its faaaar better than a 8600 and matches/beats a 12900k

okay may be an idea for upgrade, will see if I can catch it used for cheaper or new on a discount. may wait a month or two till we see inte l13k tests.

1 hour ago, Hunlight said:

okay may be an idea for upgrade, will see if I can catch it used for cheaper or new on a discount. may wait a month or two till we see inte l13k tests.

13th gen launches oct 20th.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

13th gen launches oct 20th.

yep thats why Im still waiting, I had a thread created for people to help me out wit h13th gen intel setup as I havent used intel for almost what 8 or so years so know barely anything about their mobos sockets etc. but they suggested 5800x3d.

Hi OP! I just did this exact upgrade, although I got my 5800x3d for $300 + tax rather than the retail price of $400 + tax.聽

For me it was worth it because I had zero plans to upgrade to an AM5 or whatever the new Intel things would be since I only just rebuilt my PC right before the pandemic. I'd rather just spend the little bit of money now to pair it with my 3080ti rather than spend even more money to buy a new build for a negligible performance gain, esp since Ryzen 7XXX has proven to trade blows w/the 5800x3d. Could it eke out some more performance with a 7XXXx3d chip variant? Maybe. But will it be enough at high resolution gaming? I'm at 2560x1440p myself.

My big things were the 1% lows, and getting the most performance per dollar I could for the max length of time. the 5800x3d even if I paid $400 was a no brainer for me.

I have 7 Days to Die and a 5800X3D - But have a 3090...

5120x1440 - Ultra

Getting 90-120fps, it varies a little... Super smooth though. Doesn't really peg any one core at 100%.

image.thumb.png.055b457523819974f7f5101fc84eefcf.png

1 hour ago, Solarisfire said:

I have 7 Days to Die and a 5800X3D - But have a 3090...

5120x1440 - Ultra

Getting 90-120fps, it varies a little... Super smooth though. Doesn't really peg any one core at 100%.

image.thumb.png.055b457523819974f7f5101fc84eefcf.png

amazing to hear, is it stable ? my general problem is that whenever zombies is in the picture or nearby my fps begins to drop massively to mid 40s and if theres like 10+ zombies and some special effects its 20fps and stuttering as if its 5fps 馃槃

1 minute ago, Hunlight said:

amazing to hear, is it stable ? my general problem is that whenever zombies is in the picture or nearby my fps begins to drop massively to mid 40s and if theres like 10+ zombies and some special effects its 20fps and stuttering as if its 5fps 馃槃

Hmmmm... I'd need to round up more zombies...

8 hours ago, HorseBattery said:

The only thing I could find related to 5800X3D performance in 7 Days to Die was this Steam forum post:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/4/4990570993584200598/#c4990570993591607183

Couldn't even find the original post, so there is not a lot to go on.

wow if alot of cache really helps then it might be a good thing to try.

Just now, Solarisfire said:

Hmmmm... I'd need to round up more zombies...

IF you could, try running into a bigger city like mid town with apartments, and then see how it works with zombies. Yes I do run Undead Legacy mod on tops, but from creator I heard no actual fps hits occurs (tops 5-10 fps drop when u already have 100+fps)

21 hours ago, cyndagon said:

Hi OP! I just did this exact upgrade, although I got my 5800x3d for $300 + tax rather than the retail price of $400 + tax.聽

For me it was worth it because I had zero plans to upgrade to an AM5 or whatever the new Intel things would be since I only just rebuilt my PC right before the pandemic. I'd rather just spend the little bit of money now to pair it with my 3080ti rather than spend even more money to buy a new build for a negligible performance gain, esp since Ryzen 7XXX has proven to trade blows w/the 5800x3d. Could it eke out some more performance with a 7XXXx3d chip variant? Maybe. But will it be enough at high resolution gaming? I'm at 2560x1440p myself.

My big things were the 1% lows, and getting the most performance per dollar I could for the max length of time. the 5800x3d even if I paid $400 was a no brainer for me.

1% stability is the most important imho, what for are those 200fps in some shooter if 1% is like 20fps 馃槃

what about your rams? mines are only running 3200, I remember ryzen loves speed, how about 5800x3d ?

11 hours ago, Hunlight said:

1% stability is the most important imho, what for are those 200fps in some shooter if 1% is like 20fps 馃槃

what about your rams? mines are only running 3200, I remember ryzen loves speed, how about 5800x3d ?

I'm running 3600mhz CL16. I can't speak on whether or not the 5800x3d likes 3200 or 3600 more, but I wouldn't worry about upgrading your ram Tbh.聽

Been using the chip for a couple days now, it's fantastic btw. Cyberpunk has been silky smooth. I'll be testing Tiny Tina tomorrow.聽

2 hours ago, cyndagon said:

I'm running 3600mhz CL16. I can't speak on whether or not the 5800x3d likes 3200 or 3600 more, but I wouldn't worry about upgrading your ram Tbh.聽

Been using the chip for a couple days now, it's fantastic btw. Cyberpunk has been silky smooth. I'll be testing Tiny Tina tomorrow.聽

sounds amazing, finally some people who uses it give some real info. thanks all!

7 hours ago, cyndagon said:

I believe the 5800x3d doesn't need the fast ram because that has to do with matching the infinity fabric for overclocks. But the 5800x3d doesn't overclock so it doesn't care.

Good decision over going 13th gen. Saved a lot of money

On 10/1/2022 at 7:11 AM, StarsMars said:

I believe the 5800x3d doesn't need the fast ram because that has to do with matching the infinity fabric for overclocks. But the 5800x3d doesn't overclock so it doesn't care.

Good decision over going 13th gen. Saved a lot of money

Thanks! Yea I felt no need going 13th gen/DDR5. I was on a 3770/DDR3 until just before the pandemic when I did the upgrade to the 3600/DDR4. I didn't even really NEED to upgrade, but I felt it was a good time to do it.

BTW, Tiny Tina runs great. Getting between 140-200fps everything maxed @ 1440p.聽