Why was the ouraring video removed?

Mikezz
Go to solution Solved by CPotter,

10 hours ago, Mikezz said:

Like in the title. I get that most of the comments were quite negative (not offensive) because those rings are quite expensive and still require a subscription fee (you can buy a 3-year VPN subscription for a yearly fee, which is crazy), but it's uncommon for LTT to remove the video because it might make the sponsor look bad. 

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the confusion on this, I was working with our team on this and was a little too quick on the trigger to take the video down. It wasn't because of this, it was because of a much stupider reason. We're ending our partnership with them, and then won't be posting any further sponsored Oura content. Linus will touch on it during WAN Show.

Like in the title. I get that most of the comments were quite negative (not offensive) because those rings are quite expensive and still require a subscription fee (you can buy a 3-year VPN subscription for a yearly fee, which is crazy), but it's uncommon for LTT to remove the video because it might make the sponsor look bad. 

Doubt anyone but LTT or Oura can answer that. Might be they aren't willing or allowed to talk about it either.

Have you considered that it may have been removed because LTT doesn't want to be associated with a questionable product, rather than the other way around?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Probably because the ring you buy becomes a paperweight when the subscription ends,

And it looks bad for LMG to advertise companies that do $h!tty things like that.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Yeah I'm a little sad it got taken down, I started it, made it a few minutes in then had to get up to take care of a cat, by the time I sat back down the video was gone.

Today's TechLinked also had Ouraring as a sponsor, so i doubt it's a deeper issue.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

28 minutes ago, Crad said:

Maybe the video was released ahead of schedule?

Oura were also a sponsor of that day's Techlinked, so unlikely.

My guess is that it's just YouTube being YouTube (IE, the video got deleted/taken down by accident?)

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I believe OP is talking about Floatplane. At least, that's where I got the notification and was wondering where the video went.

2 hours ago, Sarra said:

My guess is that it's just YouTube being YouTube (IE, the video got deleted/taken down by accident?)

earlier it had been privated.

11 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

What video? It seems everyone here seems to be in loop and I am like oura-what?

There was a sponsored Short Circuit starring Linus about the Oura Ring which is a ring shaped device for sleep tracking and activity tracking that Linus likes and has been using. Though it does cost both a lump sum for the hardware as well as 6$ a month subscription fee unless like Linus you got a ring before the shift to subscription model.

Considering its premium product and considered luxury item even in wealthier audience, why would anyone with their right mind whine about its price? Can't afford it? Too bad, not made for you.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, Mikezz said:

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the confusion on this, I was working with our team on this and was a little too quick on the trigger to take the video down. It wasn't because of this, it was because of a much stupider reason. We're ending our partnership with them, and then won't be posting any further sponsored Oura content. Linus will touch on it during WAN Show.

14 hours ago, CPotter said:

Hey everyone,

Dang are you getting fired again?!

On 9/29/2022 at 1:07 PM, CPotter said:

Hey everyone,

Bummer was looking to get one for my wife and I and was hoping for some discount link/code.

Screenshot_2.png.b71f5f5651d6ae1acc17d14b5dee6fd5.png

On 9/30/2022 at 3:07 AM, CPotter said:

We're ending our partnership with them, and then won't be posting any further sponsored Oura content. Linus will touch on it during WAN Show.

They really got pissed because their name was pronounced wrong to the point of ending the partnership?

Though i am surprised to learn that the first time the sponsor sees the video is the same as the public when it's published.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

After I watched the WAN Show last night, I looked up some Oura promotional videos and didn't hear their name pronounced even once. Seriously. 

Was interested, and managed to watch the video on Floatplane, but nothing very interested in such a petty company. 

They pronounced the name wrong, LMFAO

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Am I the only one thinking of the recurring "aural" pronunciation joke in Austin Evans's videos? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Was there never any video conference or voice calls with the sponsor when ironing out the sponsorship details? It's probably a Finnish pronunciation thing but boy there seemed to be dozens of opportunities for both parties to catch this and ultimately both failed. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Was there never any video conference or voice calls with the sponsor when ironing out the sponsorship details? It's probably a Finnish pronunciation thing but boy there seemed to be dozens of opportunities for both parties to catch this and ultimately both failed. 

The thing with Finnish pronunciation and name Oura is that its not really easy word to say in Finnish. Makes mouth go weird when said in Finnish way. Finnish pronunciation says letters like they are written. So it really is o-uu-RA. (Which is why I was so confused about pronouncing Asus in different ways).

So if it was pronunciation, then they marketing head should get fired. Any Finnish company working internationally knows that getting things going needs preparation. Like Nokia, Rovio, Outokumpu (this one is easier since its t instead of r), Kone...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/2/2022 at 2:48 AM, LogicalDrm said:

The thing with Finnish pronunciation and name Oura is that its not really easy word to say in Finnish. Makes mouth go weird when said in Finnish way. Finnish pronunciation says letters like they are written. So it really is o-uu-RA. (Which is why I was so confused about pronouncing Asus in different ways).

So if it was pronunciation, then they marketing head should get fired. Any Finnish company working internationally knows that getting things going needs preparation. Like Nokia, Rovio, Outokumpu (this one is easier since its t instead of r), Kone...

I personally think LTT should step up and make sure that this doesn't happen again. I think Oura ring is also partly to blame, since they didn't cover this, either.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

• 1 month later...

Hopefully there isn't an aggressive "don't necro a thread" policy, or I'm gonna be up a creek w/ this response.

Recently, Linus mentioned that, while he is truthful in sponsored videos, they are vetted by the sponsor.

If I was to wager a guess (and this is only a guess), this is likely the events that lead to this rather unfortunate event:

1. LTT makes the video. Oura is mispronounced.

2. LTT send the video to Oura for final vetting. Without realizing the mistake, they greenlight the video as-is.

3. Video airs on Youtube. It has now eaten one of LTT's few available slots for publishing, algorithm-wise.

4. Oura management notices the error in pronunciation. Someone makes a frantic call to pull the video back.

5. Oura does not realize that they are not asking for a simple correction. That was something they needed to do during step 2. Step 3 is the point of no return. And so, they ask for the nuclear option, to basically burn a video at the base vertebrae of what is a very short tail in publishing, because of a mistake they let through on their inspection pass.

6. The video being taken down makes its way up the chain, and this bridge is very much burned.

Hopefully Oura learned from this one. The "Here's the video; Are we good to publish?" e-mail is not to be taken lightly.

2 hours ago, mukiex said:

And so, they ask for the nuclear option, to basically burn a video at the base vertebrae of what is a very short tail in publishing, because of a mistake they let through on their inspection pass.

Did you just create a story out of thin air and then conclude said story with a lesson for Oura? Linus mentioned in the WAN show that it was an LTT team decision to pull the video.