Are iPhone's more private than Pixel's

Telesko

I have a pixel and am considering making changes in my life to have more privacy online. I am not super hardcore but I would like to tell google to get bent with how much they data they collect on me. Does getting an iPhone actually give me anymore privacy like it seems (provided I don't use google apps) or am I just trading one evil mega-corp for another?聽

I suppose there are no good solutions here. Are you more comfortable with Apple having your data instead of Google? That's pretty much the only difference realistically speaking... Besides, there's a good chance that Google already has your data so you'd kind of be willingly sharing it with another giant corporation 馃檪

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

If you don't want your data sold to advertisers yes Apple is the better choice. If you are worried about governments or law enforcement then it doesn't matter.

Just remember that third party apps like certain social media are worse than both of them.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I suppose there are no good solutions here. Are you more comfortable with Apple having your data instead of Google? That's pretty much the only difference realistically speaking...

I don't know too much about how apple handles data I guess is part of my problem. I've heard things about them keeping things like health data encrypted on devices so even they cant see it and not selling data to advertisers, so to me that all sounds more appealing than the way google handles it. But what Apple is doing with the data they do collect is beyond me. Maybe I should be doing some more research on that.聽

6 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If you don't want your data sold to advertisers yes Apple is the better choice. If you are worried about governments or law enforcement then it doesn't matter.

In an ideal world neither but obviously that won't happen using either of those devices. At this point in my life I would rather tell the advertisers to butt out

1 minute ago, Telesko said:

I don't know too much about how apple handles data I guess is part of my problem. I've heard things about them keeping things like health data encrypted on devices so even they cant see it and not selling data to advertisers, so to me that all sounds more appealing than the way google handles it. But what Apple is doing with the data they do collect is beyond me. Maybe I should be doing some more research on that.聽

I don't think anyone can really know, and I don't think we can believe what Apple says, so really it comes down to who do you "trust" more.
Thinking another way, you could also argue that Google may already have your data (from Search, Gmail, YouTube and other services) and that Google being larger, and primarily a software company is harder to "hack" than Apple.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I don't think anyone can really know, and I don't think we can believe what Apple says, so really it comes down to who do you "trust" more.
Thinking another way, you could also argue that Google may already have your data (from Search, Gmail, YouTube and other services) and that Google being larger, and primarily a software company is harder to "hack" than Apple.

True. I've been using Gmail, Chrome, YouTube, Drive, Photos, Docs, etc. on my Android devices so heavily for so many years now I almost wonder if its even worth caring about at this point.聽

I would say you're just trading one evil megacorporation for another.聽 I don't think there is any real privacy benefit to any one manufacturer/provider.

I personally use a Pixel, after years of using Samsung devices.聽 I could not make the switch to Apple; using the device would be so frustrating to me.聽 I miss the days when Apple聽actually聽tried to be innovative for the sake of innovation, and not just trying to make everything proprietary - that ended in the early 2000s.聽 But now I am going off on a tangent, and that has little to do with your original question.

Current rig: ASUS ROG Strix G15CK

Intel Core i7-10700KF

ASUS Strix B460-G motherboard

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3000

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060S

Previous rig: HP Omen 870-255xt

Intel Core i7-7700

Thimphu-K (OEM motherboard)

4x8GB DDR4-2133

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Apple is聽generally聽more respectful of privacy than Google (see: asking apps not to track you), but that doesn't mean you're living in a dystopian nightmare on Android. If you're all-in on Google services, the impact of switching will be somewhat muted. I also won't pretend that either company does things solely out of the goodness of its heart. Apple is using privacy as a sales angle; it just happens to benefit users.

With that said, an iPhone would make it easier to ditch Google in the future. Android without official Google apps can sometimes be painful outside of China.

As far as I know apple allows you to toggle off targeted ads in system settings and they don鈥檛 share or sell any data too 3rd parties anyway. Also things like health data are encrypted on device and you can tell apps not to track, just open links in your actual browser rather than the one that pops up in the app.聽

I don鈥檛 believe a word google says about privacy, it鈥檚 literally their business model to sell ads.聽

馃槑馃槤 Cynical take: privacy died decades ago & it doesn't matter anymore.聽

So let everyone else have your data, along with Google & Apple. Now none of them can sell it, because anyone else who would have previously bought it, already has it - - and now you're worthless!聽

I saw an article a year or two ago that even the collection of fonts installed in your browser to render the various pages you frequent are being used as an identifier.聽

On 9/29/2022 at 12:19 AM, Telesko said:

I have a pixel and am considering making changes in my life to have more privacy online. I am not super hardcore but I would like to tell google to get bent with how much they data they collect on me. Does getting an iPhone actually give me anymore privacy like it seems (provided I don't use google apps) or am I just trading one evil mega-corp for another?聽

The reason I use an iPhone as my primary phone is the privacy part and surprisingly I feel Google Apps work better on the iPhone聽馃槄聽I do use a backup Android phone with location tracking and most data sharing turned off. Tempted to jump on the Pixel bandwagon. I do use a lot of Google services.聽

Sooner or later Apple will start showing ads on the iPhone too聽https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-08-14/apple-aapl-set-to-expand-advertising-bringing-ads-to-maps-tv-and-books-apps-l6tdqqmg