Should I add a fourth display?

rangerkip

I just added a third display, I'm thinking about adding a fourth. Are there any good 32 or 40 inch monitors that don't cost an arm and leg?

That server rack has three of my computers and my home network equipment. I live on a farm out in the country, so no matter how good my home network is, the Internet is slow.

Anyone who is familiar with aggregating Cellular connections, I'm open to input.

IMG_20220510_183406340_HDR~3.jpg

that dpi makes my eyes sad

yes add another, maybe a vertical one on the left

for cellular it depends what carrier and what band. if you can get band66, then just get better antennas. if not then make sure your modem supports it first but consider raising antenna height till you maybe do. 
aggregation always is terrible, you could use one for video streams and one for everything else but trying to combine them sucks. 

Do you need it? I mean currently one is just empty doing nothing and for most people the 3rd screen is nothing more than a monitoring screen.

Aggregetion basically always is not worth it. Best you can do is get a good signal catcher and hope that does the trick or get a starlink. 60mbps is pretty good.

I don't think you need it.  I'd actually suggest finding something to replace 2 or all 3 of yours--rather than adding another into the hodge podge.

The ergonomics of your setup makes me cringe though.

p.s.

Is that a pinup on your wall that was hastily MS painted over?

Stop, before you do anything else, please just turn off overscan on the top monitor to avoid harming any more OCD people. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

the desk, the DESK,  WHAT IS YOUR BLACK KEYBOARD EVEN ONNNN, WHERE DO YOU EVEN SIT FOR THAT TO BE COMFORTABLE

rant over, enjoy your time on this planet however you like 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1. So the black keyboard is for daily use, then the older 1998 DIN mechanical keyboard is for when I want to type my research papers (no joke, it's amazing to use). Also, the black keyboard has a smartcard reader, was useful when I was in the army (recently out).

2. Overscan lol I was setting the new monitor up during that photo, so it is fixed now.

3. I use all the monitors, typically the top one for movies, the left one for work, and the right one for system monitoring, or when I'm oncall I can use it for reference.

4. I was thinking of using the 4th monitor for gaming while the other 3 do their thing. I multitask to an unhealthy level.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, jaslion said:

Do you need it? I mean currently one is just empty doing nothing and for most people the 3rd screen is nothing more than a monitoring screen.

Aggregetion basically always is not worth it. Best you can do is get a good signal catcher and hope that does the trick or get a starlink. 60mbps is pretty good.

Signed up for starlink over a year ago, I work for an ISP, so unfortunately there is no other options, and I know it lol.

11 minutes ago, rangerkip said:

Signed up for starlink over a year ago, I work for an ISP, so unfortunately there is no other options, and I know it lol.

Oof hope ya get one soon then. But as of right now its kinda sol

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Oof hope ya get one soon then. But as of right now its kinda sol

Yeah, the entire county, and surrounding counties, have coverage immediately, but my one small portion of the county does not.... It's kinda bs lol.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, jaslion said:

I do carrier aggregation with CBRS LTE all the time, but with cellular (1900mhz ish) units, it sucks at allocating packets per stream, with latency in the 80-120ms on average, maybe it's timing related?

Unfortunately I know why my home internet is slow, the network (my works network) can only carry so much, we don't own a ton of channels, so we are kind of limited in bandwidth overall. It's nice to have something better than frontier tho, they promise 5x1, give me 0.5x0.25, and then tell me I'm wrong over the phone about my internet speeds (their Network is overloaded, and the frontier techs near my house told it's really bad).

2 hours ago, rangerkip said:

3. I use all the monitors, typically the top one for movies, the left one for work, and the right one for system monitoring, or when I'm oncall I can use it for reference.

4. I was thinking of using the 4th monitor for gaming while the other 3 do their thing. I multitask to an unhealthy level.

I don't see what the point of a 4th monitor is.  You could get a 32:9 and combine the left one and right one, and then repurpose one of your existing monitors as a 3rd that you use for gaming.  And movie watching simultaneously with gaming simultaneously with work---seems like a bad idea.  I mean, I get 1x recreational activity while at work (call center, etc), but multiple is just task saturation.  Nothing being done well.

And with a proper display, things like background system monitoring or a browser for reference, can just be pulled up alongside something else.  You don't even need a full screen, just a sliver of the program that's running in the background, that you can click on to bring to the top.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2022 at 6:44 PM, IPD said:

I don't see what the point of a 4th monitor is.  You could get a 32:9 and combine the left one and right one, and then repurpose one of your existing monitors as a 3rd that you use for gaming.  And movie watching simultaneously with gaming simultaneously with work---seems like a bad idea.  I mean, I get 1x recreational activity while at work (call center, etc), but multiple is just task saturation.  Nothing being done well.

And with a proper display, things like background system monitoring or a browser for reference, can just be pulled up alongside something else.  You don't even need a full screen, just a sliver of the program that's running in the background, that you can click on to bring to the top.

Price, each monitor I can get for $200-300 new. They are only 1080p 60hz, but they work awesome for what I need, plus, the commanding stance you get from being in front of a big wooden L desk with 4 giant monitors brings me back to the "Hacker Computer Setup" you see in movies lol.

I am not a hoarder, but I am def not a minimalist in any way, shape or form. Go big or go home lol. I have a 7ft server rack in my room JUST for my home network and computer, because its overkill lol.

Well I currently have 15 displays, to all I can say to you is GO FOR IT! 😛 

Może być zdjęciem przedstawiającym w budynku

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, OhYou_ said:

that dpi makes my eyes sad

yes add another, maybe a vertical one on the left

for cellular it depends what carrier and what band. if you can get band66, then just get better antennas. if not then make sure your modem supports it first but consider raising antenna height till you maybe do. 
aggregation always is terrible, you could use one for video streams and one for everything else but trying to combine them sucks. 

not sure how I missed this comment, but thats a very astute observation. Since I used a Microtik routerboard, as well as attempted with PPPOE servers using 3 TP Link TP740t's (I think thats the right model? been a while) to test aggregation. I have been successful with up to 3 units at the same time (Netgear LB1120's running Band 5 4g), but it will pull a large load from one, and small loads from the other (at the rate of 5mbps on one, and 80kbps on the other two.... useless). Needless to say, load balancing didnt help either.

So I relegate myself to my slow internet until I get Band 41 access.