NEW BUILD on a budget! 1500€

Go to solution Solved by fAED,

Greetings,

Below is the build completed, thank you!

On 9/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, Jahee said:

On 9/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, Fasauceome said:

On 9/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, Jahee said:

On 9/29/2022 at 3:00 AM, brob said:

On 9/29/2022 at 3:25 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

On 9/30/2022 at 10:12 AM, thewelshbrummie said:

Greetings,

It's time! - I want to build my 2nd gaming desktop.

Previous one was build with your help back in 2013 with an i5-4670K and a MSI HD 7970 TwinFrozr III BE OC. (A link to previous build will be left below)

After 9 years, I guess the time has come and what better time could I ask, since GPU prices are getting lower!

So, without further ado, let's check what I've been planning on:  https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/NhmhBj

I am a little bit above my budget which is 1500€.

• CPU:   Ryzen 5 5600X
  • CPU Cooler:   Cooler Master ML240L
  • Motehrboard:   Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
  • Memory:   Kingston FURY Beast RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17
  • Storage:   Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME SSD
  • Video Card;   Gigabyte EAGLE OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB
  • Case:   Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Power Supply:   EVGA 650 GQ 650 W 80+ Gold
  • Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27BQ 27.0" 165 Hz 1ms

I am trying to gather as much information as possible, to prices also. Probably I will wait until November for Black Friday deals By the way, even though I know there are coming new AMD CPU and Graphics cards to the market, I don't think I will get one of those since I'm expecting that AMD 6000 series and NVIDIA 3000 series drops price even further!

Link to previous build: (2013) 

Please tell me what do you think I can improve! Let's build this together!

If you want to keep your future pc for another 10 years, you might want to go for the most recent Ryzen stuffs. Might be a bit more spencive right now, but it should have an upgrade path. With your current mobo, there isn't that much of an upgrade path left to you.

1 hour ago, fAED said:

Probably I will wait until November for Black Friday deals By the way, even though I know there are coming new AMD CPU and Graphics cards to the market, I don't think I will get one of those since I'm expecting that AMD 6000 series and NVIDIA 3000 series drops price even further!

I hope the new releases lead to price drops, but it may not happen. Also, Black Friday deals are not common on CPUs and GPUs, you may see a CPU/mobo bundle or some such with $10 off but rarely any better than that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

55 minutes ago, Jahee said:

If you want to keep your future pc for another 10 years, you might want to go for the most recent Ryzen stuffs. Might be a bit more spencive right now, but it should have an upgrade path. With your current mobo, there isn't that much of an upgrade path left to you.

I know, but it will be much more expensive that what I can do right now. new AMD 7600X is at 359€ in The Netherlands/Germany market. + I would also need DDR5 memory, a quck search gave me Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 2x16GB 5200 at 169€, + motherboard will be another 180/200€ easy.

I totally agree with you, but unfortunetly I don't have the budget for new generation... and to be honest, I don't think I will upgrade, since I didn't upgrade anything from my last build. Somehow I managed to play everything what I wanted... even tryed the beta for new COD: MW II and I could run it at LOW settings with my current build at around 50 FPS.

50 minutes ago, fAED said:

I know, but it will be much more expensive that what I can do right now. new AMD 7600X is at 359€ in The Netherlands/Germany market. + I would also need DDR5 memory, a quck search gave me Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 2x16GB 5200 at 169€, + motherboard will be another 180/200€ easy.

I totally agree with you, but unfortunetly I don't have the budget for new generation... and to be honest, I don't think I will upgrade, since I didn't upgrade anything from my last build. Somehow I managed to play everything what I wanted... even tryed the beta for new COD: MW II and I could run it at LOW settings with my current build at around 50 FPS.

As you yourself mentioned: it's a list of parts you will be buying in the future. Check how the prices are in the future. Only then make up your mind about AM4 vs AM5. (or wait with your upgrade/new pc till you can afford it, because AM5 has a total new upgrade path while AM4 is CLEARLY at a dead end for future upgrades)

5 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I hope the new releases lead to price drops, but it may not happen. Also, Black Friday deals are not common on CPUs and GPUs, you may see a CPU/mobo bundle or some such with $10 off but rarely any better than that.

I'm actually couting on those prices to drop especially with the upcoming AMD/INTEL CPU's and when NVIDIA'S 4000 series hit the market in October and when AMD launches new graphics, prices will certainly drop... AMD 5000 series CPU and NVIDIA's 3000 GPU will drop price, especially cuz I guess there will be a flood of used gpu's on the used market due to end of 'mining ethereum'.

4 hours ago, Jahee said:

As you yourself mentioned: it's a list of parts you will be buying in the future. Check how the prices are in the future. Only then make up your mind about AM4 vs AM5. (or wait with your upgrade/new pc till you can afford it, because AM5 has a total new upgrade path while AM4 is CLEARLY at a dead end for future upgrades)

Yeah, deffinetly will pay attention to prices and market after new generation of cpu's and gpu's arrive!

Raptor Lake CPU will work on 600 series motherboards. This may offer a viable compromise with latest CPU and better priced memory and motherboards.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The question is, 5600X and RTX 3070 are future proof enough for, let's say, at least 5 years in 1080p?

Some relevant info to consider:

• The 5600 and 5600x are the same CPU, one just has a higher base clock which means absolutely nothing (outside of minor binning variance) as you can just set the frequency in the UEFI.  You will get an identical framerate in games for $40 less with the 5600 opposed to the 5600x.
  • You'll get the same performance for a lot less going with an air cooler over a liquid cooler, consider the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120, Scythe FUMA 2, or Deepcool AK620 for high power CPUs, but frankly with a 5600 any aftermarket cooler will keep it at it's max frequency and be much quieter than the stock cooler.  Also no risk of leaks or pump failure.
  • You can run a cheaper motherboard and it won't affect anything.  So long as heatsinks cover relevant components and you have enough I/O for the things you wanna attach (outside of known bad boards) you can save some money here.  All of the b450 boards work perfectly with Ryzen 5000 at this point, they've been shipping with new BIOS for almost a year now, and you can usually swing at b450 for a decent discount of equivalent b550.
  • The 980 Pro is a waste of money for gaming.  Any m.2 SSD is gonna load games very quickly and boot windows almost immediately.  The features on SSDs like the 980 Pro don't really benefit gaming in the way that they benefit users who spend all day moving very large files for work.  Just go with the cheapest price/GB Gen 3 M.2 SSD.  All of of them are assembled using samsung, hynix, or micron memory modules anyway, so don't worry about brand.   The Silicon Power A60, Crucial P2, and TeamGroup MP33 are usually the best values (1TB under $60).  Either would be way faster than whatever drives you are coming from if you've never used a gen 3.
  • If you like the aesthetic of the 4000d, go for it, but most cases with mesh front panels are gonna have more than adequate airflow.  You can usually get one with all the fans preinstalled for $55-$75 (The 4000d only comes with 1 fan so you have to buy more).  I feel like more than half the parts lists here just default to the 4000D because it has the best airflow, but we're splitting hairs over something that just needs to be adequate, and doesn't provide much benefit outside of adequacy.  A mesh front panel with intake fans is gonna be more than enough airflow for anything really.
  • 95% of monitor panels are all made by LG or Samsung, so if you are going with ASUS out of concern over a cheaper brand, you can probably save some money here.
1 hour ago, fAED said:

The question is, 5600X and RTX 3070 are future proof enough for, let's say, at least 5 years in 1080p?

Nothing is ever future proof.  Core speed is fast enough to play anything you want for the foreseeable future, as the cores on the PS5 are a little slower than zen 2, and the 5600 is zen 3.  The 3070 is significantly faster than the ps5's GPU, so I don;t see any issues coming up any time soon, especially since games while looking awesome on ultra, have never looked better on medium or high.  The difference is usually very small, so even if you weren't max ultra on everything in5 years, the games would still look very good and you'd probably never notice.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Something like this would fit your budget, but see above post for general purchasing advice if you aren't buying today:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€172.95 @ Megekko) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX 97.18 CFM CPU Cooler  (€37.71 @ Megekko) 
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€104.90 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€64.85 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€77.98 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card  (€619.00 @ Azerty) 
Case: KOLINK Citadel Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€57.69 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850 GQ 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€83.90 @ Megekko) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2718-2KPC-MHD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor  (€256.94 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Total: €1475.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-29 15:43 CEST+0200

Alternately, if you got a 6700xt instead of the 3070, you'd be well under budget and they trade frames game to game, across the board, they're about the same.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€104.90 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€64.85 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€77.98 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 BLACK Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  (€494.00 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Case: KOLINK Citadel Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€57.69 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850 GQ 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€83.90 @ Megekko) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2718-2KPC-MHD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor  (€256.94 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Total: €1350.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-29 15:48 CEST+0200

27 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Something like this would fit your budget, but see above post for general purchasing advice if you aren't buying today:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card  (€619.00 @ Azerty) 
Total: €1475.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-29 15:43 CEST+0200

Alternately, if you got a 6700xt instead of the 3070, you'd be well under budget and they trade frames game to game, across the board, they're about the same.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 BLACK Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  (€494.00 @ Amazon Netherlands) 
Total: €1350.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-29 15:48 CEST+0200

41 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Some relevant info to consider:

• The 5600 and 5600x are the same CPU, one just has a higher base clock which means absolutely nothing (outside of minor binning variance) as you can just set the frequency in the UEFI.  You will get an identical framerate in games for $40 less with the 5600 opposed to the 5600x.
  • You'll get the same performance for a lot less going with an air cooler over a liquid cooler, consider the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120, Scythe FUMA 2, or Deepcool AK620 for high power CPUs, but frankly with a 5600 any aftermarket cooler will keep it at it's max frequency and be much quieter than the stock cooler.  Also no risk of leaks or pump failure.
  • You can run a cheaper motherboard and it won't affect anything.  So long as heatsinks cover relevant components and you have enough I/O for the things you wanna attach (outside of known bad boards) you can save some money here.  All of the b450 boards work perfectly with Ryzen 5000 at this point, they've been shipping with new BIOS for almost a year now, and you can usually swing at b450 for a decent discount of equivalent b550.
  • The 980 Pro is a waste of money for gaming.  Any m.2 SSD is gonna load games very quickly and boot windows almost immediately.  The features on SSDs like the 980 Pro don't really benefit gaming in the way that they benefit users who spend all day moving very large files for work.  Just go with the cheapest price/GB Gen 3 M.2 SSD.  All of of them are assembled using samsung, hynix, or micron memory modules anyway, so don't worry about brand.   The Silicon Power A60, Crucial P2, and TeamGroup MP33 are usually the best values (1TB under $60).  Either would be way faster than whatever drives you are coming from if you've never used a gen 3.
  • If you like the aesthetic of the 4000d, go for it, but most cases with mesh front panels are gonna have more than adequate airflow.  You can usually get one with all the fans preinstalled for $55-$75 (The 4000d only comes with 1 fan so you have to buy more).  I feel like more than half the parts lists here just default to the 4000D because it has the best airflow, but we're splitting hairs over something that just needs to be adequate, and doesn't provide much benefit outside of adequacy.  A mesh front panel with intake fans is gonna be more than enough airflow for anything really.
  • 95% of monitor panels are all made by LG or Samsung, so if you are going with ASUS out of concern over a cheaper brand, you can probably save some money here.

Nothing is ever future proof.  Core speed is fast enough to play anything you want for the foreseeable future, as the cores on the PS% are a little slower than zen 2, and the 5600 is zen 3.  The 3070 is significantly faster than the ps5's GPU, so I don;t see any issues coming up any time soon, especially since games while looking awesome on ultra, have never looked better on medium or high.  The difference is usually very small, so even if you weren't max ultra on everything in5 years, the games would still look very good and you'd probably never notice.

Thankyou for your time to explain everything! This is really helpful and for sure will take into account what you've said!

CPU - actually when I compare both 5600X vs 5600 the 5600X wins by 3%... I mean, I guess all the hype behind the 5600X made me choose that one!

As for the GPU, it's that headache that you don't take medicine, but is there, at night! I never had NVIDIA before, but this 3000 series look sick!

Case, I fell in love with it. I didn't put it on my parts list, but I would love to built a white theme build, and that airflow 4000D with some RGB's looks very nice!

SSD I also thought that was a bit overprice but when comparing the reading and writting speeds, that definetly stands out, but I will have to search more to get to your conclusion that a gamer doens't need all that speed.

Eventually this was really helpful! Thank you once again!

5 minutes ago, fAED said:

Thankyou for your time to explain everything! This is really helpful and for sure will take into account what you've said!

CPU - actually when I compare both 5600X vs 5600 the 5600X wins by 3%... I mean, I guess all the hype behind the 5600X made me choose that one!

As for the GPU, it's that headache that you don't take medicine, but is there, at night! I never had NVIDIA before, but this 3000 series look sick!

Case, I fell in love with it. I didn't put it on my parts list, but I would love to built a white theme build, and that airflow 4000D with some RGB's looks very nice!

SSD I also thought that was a bit overprice but when comparing the reading and writting speeds, that definetly stands out, but I will have to search more to get to your conclusion that a gamer doens't need all that speed.

Eventually this was really helpful! Thank you once again!

No worries, just keep in mind that a lot of what you read will explain small theoretical variances in performance between some components, but it's important to keep in mind what that actually amounts to in real-world usage.  For example, the 3% difference in uncapped fps between the 5600 and the 5600x will likely not show up unless paired with a 3090ti at 1080p, so a rather unrealistic situation, especially if the framerate difference amounts to something like 190 fps vs 185 fps when the monitor refreshes at 165Hz.  Same goes for a 3-5 second difference in load time (or no difference at all) when you play the game for an hour.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:41 AM, fAED said:

Previous one was build with your help back in 2013 with an i5-4670K and a MSI HD 7970 TwinFrozr III BE OC. (A link to previous build will be left below)

As I've said elsewhere, it's probably time to upgrade from Haswell - I have that CPU in my last UK build and if I was still living there, now would be the point at which I would upgrade. (I've already done so since I there was no way I would move a 20kg+ PC over 5500km.)

That said:

I'm expecting that AMD 6000 series and NVIDIA 3000 series drops price even further!

That's unlikely I'm afraid, at least on the CPU side of things. I can't answer for AMD but for Intel, they price CPUs in $USD - and prices you pay locally = the tray price, multiplied by the currency exchange rate in to €, plus local sales tax, plus whatever cut the retailer wants to take. With the $USD being extremely strong right now - at historic highs against the £ and €, you might want to wait for the exchange rate to drop somewhat. I can't answer for AMD but I wouldn't be surprised if they go the same way based on current AMD pricing I'm seeing in Europe.

(as an aside, I remember when I got my Q9650 in 2008 I was annoyed at having to pay £50 more because the £ dropped from £1-$2 to £1-$1.80 - how times have changed).

I've not seen similar pricing behaviour on GPUs but that's more likely to work to your advantage with the rumoured oversupply that Nvidia has - that said, prices of the 3070 and lower just haven't dropped. I bought my 3060 for $410 (not including sales tax) back in early June - and nearly 4 months later, it's still around the same price despite MSRP allegedly being $70 lower than that. I suspect that the time to buy a 3070 would be the the week prior to the 4070 being launched. Or go AMD, which right now does seem to be the better choice for price to performance, at least in the US.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

Below is the build completed, thank you!

On 9/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, Jahee said:

On 9/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, Fasauceome said:

On 9/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, Jahee said:

On 9/29/2022 at 3:00 AM, brob said:

On 9/29/2022 at 3:25 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

On 9/30/2022 at 10:12 AM, thewelshbrummie said: