+12V rail selection switch on Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W PSU - which to use?

eeokin
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
5 minutes ago, eeokin said:

Thank you for your response. Would I be slowing down my components by using multiple? 

No.

With those power supplies Multiple rail mode just means that there is OCP (Over Current Protection) for each of the cables from the power supply. It's set to 40A, which is 480W at 12V, which is pretty unlikely to draw from a single cable under normal conditions. It's like a breaker for your PSU, like in your house if you have too much stuff plugged in to one outlet like a microwave and a toaster running at the same time or an electric heater and a TV plugged in to the same outlet. Setting to single rail mode just disables that 40A limit and lets it deliver as much power as the PSU can over any cable.

I would leave it in multi rail mode and if you have issues with the PC shutting down under load, switch it to single rail mode. Unless you're doing extreme overclocking like LN2 CPU cooling hitting 6GHz it's very unlikely you would ever draw enough power to trip the 40A limit.

Hi guys the HX1000 has a switch to select multiple or single:

373332435_linus2.png.d2487cdc279b49170ecef36bec3dde6e.png

Which option do you suggest I use to power my build?

• 7950x
  • 3080Ti
  • 64gb DDR5 memory

Multiple. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I'd say you can leave it on single.  Single just disables an extra protection mechanism.

Multi just means the power supply may shut down if it detects the video card or the cpu consuming more than 40A (12x40A = ~ 480w)  through one cable. 

The 3080ti  is very unlikely to trigger this protection, but not 100% impossible.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd say you can leave it on single.  Single just disables an extra protection mechanism.

Multi just means the power supply may shut down if it detects the video card or the cpu consuming more than 40A (12x40A = ~ 480w)  through one cable. 

The 3080ti  is very unlikely to trigger this protection, but not 100% impossible.

Thank you for your response. Would I be slowing down my components by using multiple? 

2 minutes ago, eeokin said:

No. The only difference is that the PSU will shut down if e.g. an SSD tries to pull 800W through the 12V rail, if it's set to multi rail, while single rail mode would happily let that happen. Leave it in multi rail mode, that's how they should ship out anyway. 

:)

5 minutes ago, eeokin said:

No.

With those power supplies Multiple rail mode just means that there is OCP (Over Current Protection) for each of the cables from the power supply. It's set to 40A, which is 480W at 12V, which is pretty unlikely to draw from a single cable under normal conditions. It's like a breaker for your PSU, like in your house if you have too much stuff plugged in to one outlet like a microwave and a toaster running at the same time or an electric heater and a TV plugged in to the same outlet. Setting to single rail mode just disables that 40A limit and lets it deliver as much power as the PSU can over any cable.

I would leave it in multi rail mode and if you have issues with the PC shutting down under load, switch it to single rail mode. Unless you're doing extreme overclocking like LN2 CPU cooling hitting 6GHz it's very unlikely you would ever draw enough power to trip the 40A limit.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450