Cat 6 Cable Questions: Buried Conduit to Garage

Cavalry Canuck

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

PoE is low voltage so whatever low voltage codes might apply to you would apply here but otherwise no best practice aside don't run them with high voltage power as well.

I would say underground cabling would be best just in case something happens to the conduit.

Good Day,

I wish to install several of PoE devices in my detached garage. I intend on running the cables for these devices through buried conduit between the house and garage. Depth of conduit will be below the frost line, approximately 3 feet/1 meter.

Do I require underground rated cables when run through conduit?

Is there a limit for the number of PoE runs within a single conduit, be it a code requirement and/or general best practices?

Thanks, Matthew

PoE is low voltage so whatever low voltage codes might apply to you would apply here but otherwise no best practice aside don't run them with high voltage power as well.

I would say underground cabling would be best just in case something happens to the conduit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You could try it, with the POE runs, if you do run into problems you could use one CAT6 cable under the ground (without POE) and then add a POE injector switch in your garage to power your multiple devices with the short runs.

22 minutes ago, Allan B said:

You could try it, with the POE runs, if you do run into problems you could use one CAT6 cable under the ground (without POE) and then add a POE injector switch in your garage to power your multiple devices with the short runs.

Given they want PoE for all the devices I think its safe to assume they have no power in the garage.

Router:  Intel Celeron N5105 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~915Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average down)

Folding@home Live Stats  Folding@home Recent WUs

23 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Given they want PoE for all the devices I think its safe to assume they have no power in the garage.

There is power to the Garage. However, the device locations would require new electrical runs as well. Just easier to go the PoE route. I already have a PoE switch in the house, but the injector idea might be worth considering. Regardless, I’ll still need to run at least two separate cables between the two buildings.

@Allan B I’ll keep the idea in mind, thanks.

It's best practice to run underground rated wire even though you are using conduit. Most likely you will get moisture exposure. There's no need to have the conduit below the frost line. 18 inches is minimum depth for non metallic conduit, but it could be even shallower since it's low voltage. I don't think there's a limit to how many low voltage cables you can have in a conduit.

6 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

There is power to the Garage. However, the device locations would require new electrical runs as well. Just easier to go the PoE route. I already have a PoE switch in the house, but the injector idea might be worth considering. Regardless, I’ll still need to run at least two separate cables between the two buildings.

@Allan B I’ll keep the idea in mind, thanks.

If PoE between buildings is not required, then I'd consider fibre as it avoids the risk of lightening taking out everything.

Router:  Intel Celeron N5105 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~915Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average down)

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If PoE between buildings is not required, then I'd consider fibre as it avoids the risk of lightening taking out everything.

Thank you for the suggestion. If I was doing this from scratch, I’d consider going this route.

However, this seems like an unnecessary expense at this time. A single injector for the garage isn’t that expensive. Two new switches for a fibre connection would be. I already have everything I need to do PoE except the cable. Fibre would require new cable, new switches, etc. If lightening takes everything out, then I’ll have an excuse to go fibre. In the meantime, I’m working with what I’ve got. 

They make Ethernet suge protectors. If your worried about lightning.

24 minutes ago, Bdavis said:

They make Ethernet suge protectors. If your worried about lightning.

Not foolproof though like fibre is.