Weird display driver crash, black screen flicker

DzHdfo
Go to solution Solved by DzHdfo,

It was the microsoft app store..

I reinstalled windows and this time didn't install any drivers or anything at all, was going to see if I get issues.

Something was installing the drivers and I couldn't find what. Took me a bit and found out it's the microsoft app store. Didn't even show up, wasn't open, nothing.

I thought only windows update downloads drivers so I disabled that, but apparently goddamn app store does too.

Disabled the app store's auto update, killed it, no crash since.

Feels really stupid but I hope that was the actual solution.

Hello. I've built my first PC and I'm having an issue I'm trying to figure out. I don't really know much, except basics.

My build is:

Windows 10 pro 64-bit

CPU: i5-12600k

GPU: RTX 3070 (Inno3D twin x2 LHR)

PSU: Cooler master v750 Gold V2

Motherboard: Msi Pro B660M-A wifi DDR4

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16 3200mhz 16 gb (2 sticks of 8 gb)

Randomly while doing anything, the screen flickers black for a moment and programs crash. Chrome shows a ''out of memory'' error and sometimes I have to restart because nothing is responding anymore.

Usually when it happens the nvidia driver crashes (shows an error for a moment) and the resolution changes.

The crash happens randomly, I can't cause it to happen myself. I could be just browsing or watching a video. Games usually run perfectly fine and temps are low, still they randomly crash.

Things I tried:

I tested both RAM sticks with memtest, no errors. Physically re-plugged everything. Some random tests with OCCT. Did benchmark tests for the GPU but nothing crashed while testing.

Used DDU and reinstalled nvidia driver, and done a windows repair. Updated BIOS, re-installed windows. Made a new windows user, disabled every non-microsoft service/program.

Replaced my PSU from 600w to 750w + changed RAM to kingston 3200mhz, the issue remains.

Not sure what else to try, before sending the GPU back.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Reliability Monitor error screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/r2HZonf

Doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me.  what voltage are you running your ram at?  

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

hwo does the screen flicker black, so you mean it's being interrupted for a bit? check if it's static electricity, jayztwocents has experienced this before and that was the culprit for him.

as for other crashers. if you did initial debugging, im not sure i'd go anywhere, try running a linux live usb, and then try to browse on firefox for example qith many tabs and see if it crashes, otherwise some of those components might be defective... or may be a RAM issue and check if downclokiung it to see 3000Mhz CL17 or checking voltage or something helps

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

23 minutes ago, DzHdfo said:

Hello. I've built my first PC and I'm having an issue I'm trying to figure out. I don't really know much, except basics.

My build is:

CPU: i5-12600k

GPU: RTX 3070 (Inno3D twin x2 LHR)

PSU: Be Quiet! Pure power 11 600w (80+ Gold)

Motherboard: Msi Pro B660M-A wifi DDR4

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16 3200mhz 16 gb (2 sticks of 8 gb)

Randomly while doing anything, the screen flickers black for a moment and programs crash. Chrome shows a ''out of memory'' error and sometimes I have to restart because nothing is responding anymore.

Usually when it happens the nvidia driver crashes (shows an error for a moment) and the resolution changes.

I wasn't planning to get a 3070 at first so my psu is just 600w, but I want to make sure it's the psu before replacing it.

Things I tried:

I tested the RAM with memtest, no errors. Physically re-plugged everything. Some random tests with OCCT. Did benchmark tests for the GPU but nothing crashed while testing.

Used DDU and reinstalled nvidia driver, and done a windows repair.

Is there a way to know for sure it's the PSU?

Should I just get a 750w+ one?

Thanks a lot in advance.

maybe its old drivers problem?

It may not be a PSU problem at all, but based on your specs, a 600w would be the minimum recommended.  750 or larger would be preferred.  Try the other troubleshooting suggestions first, but getting a bigger PSU might be a good option either way.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

16 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

It may not be a PSU problem at all, but based on your specs, a 600w would be the minimum recommended.  750 or larger would be preferred.  Try the other troubleshooting suggestions first, but getting a bigger PSU might be a good option either way.  

an rtx 3070 is enough with just 650W, since we are talking about 600W, OP is within minimum psu so that's not the issue, it could be either voltage on ram, drivers or maybe defective component like ram

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

2 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

an rtx 3070 is enough with just 650W, since we are talking about 600W, OP is within minimum psu so that's not the issue, it could be either voltage on ram, drivers or maybe defective component like ram

First rule of thumb for PSU sourcing is that you never stick with the minimum recommended.  You may not have issues, but you're gambling.  Add in extra peripherals and other hardware, and even minor overclocks and you'll be overtaxing it.  If NVIDIA says you need a minimum of 650W to run the card, you should absolutely have that or higher.  Under-sizing your PSU is asking for trouble.  

I'm not suggesting the power supply IS an issue, I'm just saying that based on all the numbers, 600W isn't the right supply for this system and it's worth the upgrade regardless of weather it has problems or not.  If RAM dies, it's just the RAM.  If the CPU dies, it's just the CPU.  If your PSU kicks the bucket, it can take out every component in your system (I know this from personal experience).  For the amount of money OP has in hardware, cheeping out on the PSU is not a wise choice.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

The power supply shouldn't be the issue. 

The 3070 consumes what, maybe 250-300w when gaming and that cpu maybe 100-140w also when close to 100% load. 

They recommend higher wattages like 650w / 750w / 850w to rule out ancient designs of power supplies that can't handle video cards pulling high amounts of power in short bursts, or to rule out power supplies that simply lie on the labels. 

Especially if you're just in WIndows browsing the nets, watching Youtube etc and you get errors, the video card at those moments will consume less than 30-50 watts, so it's not a power consumption issue. 

I would be looking at testing the Corsair ram sticks ... Make a bootable USB stick with memtest - https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm - and test the ram. If you get errors, maybe try to configure the sticks at 3000 Mhz and try again. 

The HDMI issues (flickering , going black) could be caused by a marginal HDMI cable, transmission errors or HDCP encryption failures if HDCP is enabled - I'd suggest if possible to try a good quality DisplayPort cable instead.

5 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Doesn't sound like a PSU issue to me.  what voltage are you running your ram at?  

I tried xmp on, then it uses 1.36v. I tried also switching it to 1.35v because I think it said that somewhere online.

I tried reverting motherboard's settings to default, xmp off, not sure what voltage it uses then. But the problem still happens.

5 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

how does the screen flicker black, so you mean it's being interrupted for a bit? check if it's static electricity, jayztwocents has experienced this before and that was the culprit for him.

It's like, black screen for a full moment, then flickers quickly after like twice or so. Sometimes makes a disconnected windows sound (like when you plug out a usb stick).

How do I check if static is the problem?

I did try to open as many tabs and going on a game but it's VERY random. Sometimes a lot of tabs are fine and sometimes 4 of them with music on is a crash.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

The HDMI issues (flickering , going black) could be caused by a marginal HDMI cable, transmission errors or HDCP encryption failures if HDCP is enabled - I'd suggest if possible to try a good quality DisplayPort cable instead.

I had a HDMI cable with both a monitor and 4K TV. Now I also got a display cable for the monitor. It's really random when it happens, I tried to switch around but happens on both.

It's really really strange and yeah I'm doubting it's the PSU because I do try to push the GPU to a high load and it doesn't crash when I do. Either on benchmarks or games.

Memtest didn't have any errors on either of the RAM sticks..

I'm worried that even when I switch the PSU I'll get the same problem.

Could it be the GPU?

Replaced my PSU. Same issue.

Did a windows full reinstall, will see if it still happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my RAM with kingston fury beast. 3200mhz as well. Still crashing.

I managed to use the PC for around 6~7 hours until it crashed. Screen went full black for like 5 seconds, then display came back and everything crashed and windows was unresponsive.

Nvidia support had me change a few settings but the issue is still happening.

The weirdest, most annoying part is that testing the card and benchmarking it doesn't cause a crash.

Going to contact the store I bought the GPU from.

Maybe l'll try to use the PC without the card in the meantime.

Getting tired of using up so much time effort and money on this.

• 2 weeks later...

It was the microsoft app store..

I reinstalled windows and this time didn't install any drivers or anything at all, was going to see if I get issues.

Something was installing the drivers and I couldn't find what. Took me a bit and found out it's the microsoft app store. Didn't even show up, wasn't open, nothing.

I thought only windows update downloads drivers so I disabled that, but apparently goddamn app store does too.

Disabled the app store's auto update, killed it, no crash since.

Feels really stupid but I hope that was the actual solution.