GPU Encoding: Hardware Acceleration Vs On-Die Encoding

Hello All,

This is my first post. I have quite a niche use case for encoding so I will try to keep this clear.

I regularly process time lapse AVI files that average 11minutes long (timeline). I am looking to speed up my processing time, whilst finding the components that offer the best value for money. I am unable to compromise the AVI container at the moment and change to MP4 or anything else.

Currently, I use hardware acceleration to encode my video files. I need help understanding how to perform GPU encoding and how it is different/better than CPU encoding for my use case.

Here is a list describing my compression rig so far:

CPU: I7-9700

GPU: Nvidia Quadro T1000 (no NVENC encoder present)

Current compression settings: (keep fixed if possible)

Software: movavi Video converter - hardware accelerated (CPU performing encoding, aided by the GPU)

File size's range: 0.5-4gb
Codec: h.264
KBPS (bitrate): 2000
FPS: 30
Resolution: 720p
Container: AVI > AVI. (does not change)
Output file size: 168mb

My research so far indicated that if I continue to use the CPU method, I will be able to cut my processing time in half by upgrading to the Ryzen 9 5950x. Further research showed that on-die hardware encoders (NVENC, Quick Sync, VCE) will be able to process the files even faster but may lead to increased file sizes due to the lack of B-frames.

Question time:

1) What batch video encoders are capable of maintaining the AVI format and also utilising ON-Die GPU Encoders? The software will prioritise using the GPU instead of the CPU (current).

2) If I need plugins, what may those be?

3) Am I indeed better off with a GPU at all, or should I proceed as I am and purchase a beefier CPU?

4) What Video encoders/GPUs will offer the best value for money?

5) Are there any articles that indicate how much better a GPU encoder would perform vs a 5950x for encoding?

I am a relative newbie when it comes to this so any help is welcomed.

TIA to you all, I look forward to hearing from you!

Your gpu rn has cuda acceleration try it with that if its available. You also have a intel igpu so you cab try quicksync

How important is filesize?

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Your gpu rn has cuda acceleration try it with that if its available. You also have a intel igpu so you cab try quicksync

How important is filesize?

Hi quick sync alone is slower than with acceleration. Apologies if the post was not as clear as I intended. I do use hardware acceleration currently. The cuda cores do significantly help performance, however, I am exploring ways to improve the encoding time even more. File size is important in the sense that they cannot double, I think a 25% increase would be acceptable. 

4 minutes ago, NeilsTechNeedsTips said:

Hi quick sync alone is slower than with acceleration. Apologies if the post was not as clear as I intended. I do use hardware acceleration currently. The cuda cores do significantly help performance, however, I am exploring ways to improve the encoding time even more. File size is important in the sense that they cannot double, I think a 25% increase would be acceptable. 

Nvenc can help a lot but filesizes can almost double. Not much to do about that.

If that reallt inst an option cpu would ve the best option.

Just now, jaslion said:

Nvenc can help a lot but filesizes can almost double. Not much to do about that.

If that reallt inst an option cpu would ve the best option.

would you know what software packages I could use that support GPU encoding and AVI -> AVI conversion simultaneously?

2 minutes ago, NeilsTechNeedsTips said:

would you know what software packages I could use that support GPU encoding and AVI -> AVI conversion simultaneously?

What do you use rn? I currently use handbrake and adobe media encoder togheter

3 minutes ago, NeilsTechNeedsTips said:

What codecs? AVI is just a container.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

What codecs? AVI is just a container.

Hello,

'File size's range: 0.5-4gb
Codec: h.264
KBPS (bitrate): 2000
FPS: 30'

Thanks,

Neil

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What do you use rn? I currently use handbrake and adobe media encoder togheter

I currently use Movavi Video converter. It looks like it only supports hardware acceleration and not hardware encoding.

I am unable to use Handbrake (stopped supporting avi output)

I am yet to try using Adobe Media Encoder.

Thanks,

Neil