Sony Xperia 1 iv

Modem56

How bad is the xperia 1 mark 4 overheating, should i get a 1 ii instead

Don't think folks here have the experience to say, but I've seen significant concerns. My real question is: does it have to be a high-end Sony phone? They have their appeal, but the cameras are actually less than ideal if you aren't willing to do significant tweaking. An iPhone 14 Pro, Google Pixel 7 Pro (when it's out next month) or Galaxy S22 Ultra would be a better pick if you're interested in sustained phone video recording.

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Don't think folks here have the experience to say, but I've seen significant concerns. My real question is: does it have to be a high-end Sony phone? They have their appeal, but the cameras are actually less than ideal if you aren't willing to do significant tweaking. An iPhone 14 Pro, Google Pixel 7 Pro (when it's out next month) or Galaxy S22 Ultra would be a better pick if you're interested in sustained phone video recording.

I've been looking at sony phones only since they're the only phones that have a headphone jack and no bezels, excluding massive gaming phone , or so old that they would be running years out of date software

14 hours ago, Modem56 said:

I've been looking at sony phones only since they're the only phones that have a headphone jack and no bezels, excluding massive gaming phone , or so old that they would be running years out of date software

I see. With that said, I'm not sure it's worth making numerous sacrifices just to avoid using a headphone adapter (or wireless audio) and to achieve a particular look. You can easily get used to leaving a dongle on your favourite headphones, or to seeing a cutout or notch on the display; you'll never get past a finicky camera.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, Modem56 said:

How bad is the xperia 1 mark 4 overheating, should i get a 1 ii instead

Just get the 1 iii instead.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:45 PM, Modem56 said:

You can’t get a dongle? 

Sony phones are alright but there’s a lot of sacrifices they make, they’re too expensive for what they are and they need to ditch the 21:9 aspect ratio 

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

You can’t get a dongle? 

Sony phones are alright but there’s a lot of sacrifices they make, they’re too expensive for what they are and they need to ditch the 21:9 aspect ratio 

Why?  Everyone in the desktop realm now seems to think 21:9 isn't wide enough.

Personally, I am getting tired of phones that are 1-hand grip like trying to palm a basketball.

7 hours ago, IPD said:

Why?  Everyone in the desktop realm now seems to think 21:9 isn't wide enough.

Personally, I am getting tired of phones that are 1-hand grip like trying to palm a basketball.

Not really? Some people use UW monitors but most (like over 90%) still use 16:9 with 16:10 or 3:2 being better for productivity. Plus on a phone it results in a lot of wasted space 

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Not really? Some people use UW monitors but most (like over 90%) still use 16:9 with 16:10 or 3:2 being better for productivity. Plus on a phone it results in a lot of wasted space 

Hey, if you can convince companies to go back to 5.0" 16:9 screens--I'm game.  But since the fetish is only offering something small with a god awful hinge in the middle of the display--I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 21:9 is a better and more realistic option.  Especially if they can integrate everything so it looks seamless and doesn't have that god awful notch.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

Hey, if you can convince companies to go back to 5.0" 16:9 screens--I'm game.  But since the fetish is only offering something small with a god awful hinge in the middle of the display--I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 21:9 is a better and more realistic option.  Especially if they can integrate everything so it looks seamless and doesn't have that god awful notch.

iPhone 13 mini? The notch makes it 16:9. Guessing because you’re complaining about the notch you’ve never used a phone with one 

12 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

iPhone 13 mini? The notch makes it 16:9. Guessing because you’re complaining about the notch you’ve never used a phone with one 

The day you can tell me how to install Android onto an Apple, add an SD card and a 3.5mm headphone jack, I'm there.

ONE FREAKING PHONE that is locked to iOS bullshit does not "Fix" the issue.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

The day you can tell me how to install Android onto an Apple, add an SD card and a 3.5mm headphone jack, I'm there.

ONE FREAKING PHONE that is locked to iOS bullshit does not "Fix" the issue.

Headphone jacks on phones are obsolete and SD cards are fairly pointless. By the time you’ve bought one that’s good enough to handle the storage speed demands of certain features you’re running at about the same cost as it would be to just  upgrade the internal storage. 

Ignoring a phone that meets your needs because of the logo is a bit dumb imo.

17 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Headphone jacks on phones are obsolete and SD cards are fairly pointless. By the time you’ve bought one that’s good enough to handle the storage speed demands of certain features you’re running at about the same cost as it would be to just  upgrade the internal storage. 

Ignoring a phone that meets your needs because of the logo is a bit dumb imo.

Spoken like an Apple fanboi.  SD card slots and headphone jacks aren't pointless--that's just Apple's marketing to convince people that the lack of features is a "good thing". 

It's not a logo issue (Foxconn makes like 90% of everything anyhow).  It's an ecosystem issue; an interface issue.  Don't go full i-Tard.

10 minutes ago, IPD said:

Spoken like an Apple fanboi.  SD card slots and headphone jacks aren't pointless--that's just Apple's marketing to convince people that the lack of features is a "good thing". 

Actually they kinda are. If you REALLY want an headphone Jack adopters are inexpensive and it opens up a ton of space internally, that’s if you don’t want to use the more convenient Bluetooth options which can offer features like ANC and multipoint. The SD card is just too slow. You need a UHS3 speed card for good enough read and writes to keep up with all the features on a phone which cost as much as upgrading the internal space which not only increases the resale value of the phone but also increases the speed and longevity of the internal storage. 

10 minutes ago, IPD said:

It's not a logo issue (Foxconn makes like 90% of everything anyhow).  It's an ecosystem issue; an interface issue.  Don't go full i-Tard.

Android and iOS are similar enough to hop between and be fine on either. The ecosystems are pretty much exactly the same, one just sells your data and the other doesn’t allow side-loading, they’re pretty much exactly the same otherwise.

19 hours ago, SinistralFern23 said:

Just get the 1 iii instead.

sorry i meant to type iii not ii, but still not sure as Sony does not support phones for long, I'm okay with installing custom ROM but i haven't seen any for a xperia 1/5/10 i/ii/iii/iv currently I thinking of getting a xperia 5 iv from Virgin media as they have a contract for £24 a month (uk)

17 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

You can’t get a dongle? 

Personally I'd like a 21:9 screen since i use more scrollable feeds

16 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Depends, if you have any text at all you’ll have less space as a 21:9 display gives you less area than a smaller aspect ratio on the same size screen. 

i currently have a pixel 4a which is around the same width so it would be roughly the same size on smaller aspect ratio content

47 minutes ago, Modem56 said:

i currently have a pixel 4a which is around the same width so it would be roughly the same size on smaller aspect ratio content

The 4a isn’t a 6.5” phone though is it. 

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

The 4a isn’t a 6.5” phone though is it. 

It's roughly the same width 

Just now, Mii Cube said:

It's roughly the same width 

Also he said he's thinking about a 5 iv so that's just 2mm less in width 

4 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Battery for one?

And that means now you can go for a week without charging?

Oh wait, you're still plugging it in every night.  FAIL.

41 minutes ago, IPD said:

And that means now you can go for a week without charging?

Oh wait, you're still plugging it in every night.  FAIL.

I mean I go 2 days most days now? When I’m camping etc I get 3-4 days. You’re also saving the space by not having a bad DAC and AMP in there too meaning you have more space for other chips or bigger chips. 

What’s the issue with just using a dongle again? You’re just plugging something in does the connector really matter than much? 

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

I mean I go 2 days most days now? When I’m camping etc I get 3-4 days. You’re also saving the space by not having a bad DAC and AMP in there too meaning you have more space for other chips or bigger chips. 

What’s the issue with just using a dongle again? You’re just plugging something in does the connector really matter than much? 

I barely go over a day without a power brick and when not i can use a powerbank , also i have had many USB cables bend often in my pocket

6 hours ago, Modem56 said:

I barely go over a day without a power brick and when not i can use a powerbank , also i have had many USB cables bend often in my pocket

What phone do you have? 

Also a dongle is short, if that’s bending so is an Aux cable