Apparently Samsung battery had a far more tendency to inflate what's your thought on this issue?

e22big

Watched this video just now and it's rather worrisome. 

To be fair, what he said is true to any Lion battery, the eletrolyte evaporated, that's how you get the depreciation in battery capacity (and also how heat basically kill your battery overtime.) But it's definitely not normal for this to keep happen to such a large number of device from the same brand. 

I've had mostly Samsung for the good portion of the decade. Starting with the Note 4 (which I used for nearly 10 years), then A51 and then back to S22 Ultra. And I actually can confirmed those issue on the Note 4. It was years after I had been using that phone, the battery capacity is nearly gone and I can barely commute back from work with the kind of SoT it offers. So one day I had decided to replace it with a third party brand but still keep the old Samsung battery around in case I need an extra juice for emergency (got to love the old replacable battery design), after a few week, that old battery inflated massively and I eventually had to get rid of it. 

It doesn't happened to A51 though which I had used for 3 years (and now gave it to my mom) and that was an older phone than Note 20 FE which Arun found the problem. It's also not the last time I encounter this problem, but second one is with LG phone.

What's your experiences so far?

Its happening to any brand striving for thinness and making removal of batteries not possible.

I have experienced strangely disproportionate charge times as opposed to battery life per charge from my one-year-old S21 Ultra 5G. Probably the last Samsung device I'll ever buy.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Samsung always had battery issues. Battery performance usually degrades massively after 2 years and especially the S3 and S4 were some of the worst offenders.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. I thought they had their issues fixed with the S8. I bought one, after 2 years the battery turned to shit. 

Just recently the company I used to work for got new phones for their employees, all of them Samsung S22 and from day 1 they loose their charge faster than a 2 year old OnePlus 8. 

21 minutes ago, e22big said:

To be fair, what he said is true to any Lion battery, the eletrolyte evaporated, that's how you get the depreciation in battery capacity (and also how heat basically kill your battery overtime.) But it's definitely not normal for this to keep happen to such a large number of device from the same brand. 

I've had mostly Samsung for the good portion of the decade. Starting with the Note 4 (which I used for nearly 10 years), then A51 and then back to S22 Ultra. And I actually can confirmed those issue on the Note 4. It was years after I had been using that phone, the battery capacity is nearly gone and I can barely commute back from work with the kind of SoT it offers. So one day I had decided to replace it with a third party brand but still keep the old Samsung battery around in case I need an extra juice for emergency (got to love the old replacable battery design), after a few week, that old battery inflated massively and I eventually had to get rid of it. 

It doesn't happened to A51 though which I had used for 3 years (and now gave it to my mom) and that was an older phone than Note 20 FE which Arun found the problem. It's also not the last time I encounter this problem, but second one is with LG phone.

Just because you can’t see it expanding doesn’t mean it hasn’t, especially on plastic backed phones with bow out rather than pop up 

this is actually scary, thinking about my grandparents and how they have samsungs , they wouldnt know what to check for and may think this is normal.  i checked my dads note and saw his back glass is loose , glad hes gonna ge a new one

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

Samsung always had battery issues. Battery performance usually degrades massively after 2 years and especially the S3 and S4 were some of the worst offenders.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. I thought they had their issues fixed with the S8. I bought one, after 2 years the battery turned to shit. 

Just recently the company I used to work for got new phones for their employees, all of them Samsung S22 and from day 1 they loose their charge faster than a 2 year old OnePlus 8. 

Eh, like I've said, I own quite a few Samsug phone over the years. Note 4 is the only one that really had battery issue. A51 works fine just like the day I've got them even years after. Although arguably, it had never been that amazing to begin with,

Same thing could be said about S22 Ultra. That wasn't battery depreciation, it was just wasn't quite enough to sustain the hardware of the phone to begin with. 

1 hour ago, ThatTenshiTales said:

this is actually scary, thinking about my grandparents and how they have samsungs , they wouldnt know what to check for and may think this is normal.  i checked my dads note and saw his back glass is loose , glad hes gonna ge a new one

Samsung need to release a statement about this I think. Although now that I think of it more closely, Arun investigation seems to focus on an old phone from his fellow Youtubers, which probably mean it was wased in the exact same condition - that is kept quietly in a storage until it's time to make a video. 

Battery will depreciate even if you kept it unused, and will arguably depreciate even faster because it will lose its charge over time and the more you kept your phone at 100 percent or near 0 percent battery, the faster you will lose the electrolyte. Kept it in storage without occasionally charging your device is definitely not an ideal way to maintain your battery health (in fact, for Lion, if your charge actually reached zero, it will die right then and there, manufactuerers will typically leave a certain percentage to make sure that will never happen under normal use) 

I've remember Zack from JerryRig mentioned that he's still using his Note 10 and it had been working fine without issues, despite claiming that he experienced some on the other devices he kept for testing. This is just pure speculation, but maybe that was one of the catalyst of the issue.

Samsung already spent months with those phones in their lab, they need to produce an answer. I had been a faitful user of Samsung phone and will probably continue to do so but I am really not feeling too comfortable about the possibility that my phone will turn into a grenade one day in my pocket.  

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The vendor supplying phone batteries to Samsung, also supplies to other phone brands

Trying to single out a phone manufacturer for bad batteries is not really a smart thing to do

Actually do they? 

I wonder if that's the case, then maybe it's the phone itself that had an issue rather than battery

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Yes.

You could take the battery out to see if it changes anything. Or do you think Samsung is making a conscious decision to ruin its reputation?

I don't think I can tell from a glance, visually they defintiely doesn't look like Apple or OnePlus battery (and have the big Samsung logo on)

Also, I am not entirely sure about this but I am pretty sure that back in the day when I replaced my Note 4 battery, it had 'made in Vietnam' stamp like the rest of Samsung component. If true is likely to mean that they did not share the battery factory with Apple and the rest of the brand that are all made in China. 

Samsung and LG are the only two manufactuerers I knew that either made their phone entirely or mainly out of China - and both of them suffered from the battery bloat in my experience.

13 hours ago, e22big said:

Isn't is weird that out of all brands, it is Samsung that is getting called out for this? Literally the company who became infamous for exploding batteries. 

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Yes.

You could take the battery out to see if it changes anything. Or do you think Samsung is making a conscious decision to ruin its reputation?

Just because they’re from the same vendor doesn’t mean they’re the same. Samsung make displays for apple for example but the iPhone displays crush the ones on Samsungs own phones. 

I think they’re trying to widen their margin. It only ruins their reputation if it comes out and because a lot of people get new phones every 2-4 years it’s not likely to get picked up. 

I saw somewheres that Samsung does make batteries. Not sure if they make phone batteries. So that leave a question are these batteries designed and built by Samsung directly or do that use a 3rd party? 

18 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Or do you think Samsung is making a conscious decision to ruin its reputation?

At the end of the day its about money. If its cheaper to ignore the problem and payout the lawsuits then it is to fix the problem, then thats what they will do. Thats assuming Samsung is making a conscious decision to ignore the problem. 

Also, do you really thing its going to hurt their reputation that much? Remember BP caused the worse ecological disaster in probably my life time in the Gulf of Mexico, on top of the fact that people died. If BP can continue to sell oil and gas and stay in business, I dont think Samsung has any issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Does LTT have an extensive phone collection? They should check on their Samsung phones.

Lots of battery issues like inflation v

My old Fold 2 is still ok but my S20 Ultra  and Note 10+ are broken.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I saw this too. I'll probably sell my S20FE off sooner than later and perhaps consider moving to something that's not Samsung.

You'd think they'd have learned from the Note disaster.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

33 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Does LTT have an extensive phone collection? They should check on their Samsung phones.

Merged to earlier thread about same thing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Do you use that phone actively or all of them were in storage? I asked because it seems keeping the phone in storage seems to be a common trends among the Youtubers Arun interviewed 

To all the people who are now scared of Samsung phones, please remember that Samsung made about 300 smartphones in 2021 alone. 

If this was a big issue then we would have heard about it, and not from some YouTuber. 

The risk of you getting damaged from a Samsung battery is next to none. You are more likely to get struck by lighting. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

To all the people who are now scared of Samsung phones, please remember that Samsung made about 300 smartphones in 2021 alone. 

If this was a big issue then we would have heard about it, and not from some YouTuber. 

The risk of you getting damaged from a Samsung battery is next to none. You are more likely to get struck by lighting. 

I don't think explosion is a concern (although there's a risk to be sure)

However, with the glued together, none-removable back, an inflated battery will destroyed your phone quite essentially. And if there's a risk of it happening in even 2 years time, that's a major risk. 

But like you've said, I suspect that this may have something to do with their long term storage practice. If it's happened at such intensity, we should be hearing about it by now (or maybe it's happened but no body care to bother, Samsung don't exactly have a great reputation for QC anyway and people may write it off as just that)

I have a Z Fold 3, and I've focused on protecting my battery for long term use. I use Wireless charging, but have rapid charge disabled, and just charge it overnight. Never gets hot, always have a fully battery in the morning.

I did this with my S10+, and after 3 years of use, the battery still has 87% of it's original capacity left. That phone got retired, though, so no more 'testing' to be done to it.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

but have rapid charge disabled, and just charge it overnight. Never gets hot, always have a fully battery in the morning.

There’s the issue. Fast charging can’t be too healthy for these batteries. While I charge via a cable l, I use a lower powered charger on my iPhone XR, my battery still have over 90% left in it and I’ve probably have had it over 3 years. Slow and steady wins the race. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

There’s the issue. Fast charging can’t be too healthy for these batteries. While I charge via a cable l, I use a lower powered charger on my iPhone XR, my battery still have over 90% left in it and I’ve probably have had it over 3 years. Slow and steady wins the race. 

I had battery capacity anxiety when I first got my Fold 3, but after putting a mostly black background on it, and turning down the display brightness, I've had no issues.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I am more worried how the battery drains on my Samsung device and Samsung's "battery saving technique" is to hard limit battery to 85% charge. My S10E lost 10% charge from full in 9 minutes after unplugging from the charger. On-screen time was 4 minutes.