Wich part do I upgrade first for more fps?

Einvi

Budget (including currency): 300.000-350.000 CLP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: cyberpunk2077, rdr2, gta5, skyrim modded

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

- gtx 1650 d6

- i3-10100F

- Gigabyte H410M H

-16gb ram

- EVGA 500 W1

Hello people, I was wondering wich part should I upgrade first to get more fps in games like cyberpunk2077, rdr2, gta5, skyrim modded and more open world games, right now I was thinking on replacing the cpu for an i5-10400F but idk if that's enough to get 1080p60fps. in another place they told me that if I wanted to see a difference I should upgrade the gpu(right now thinking an rtx2060 as they are cheap on amazon) so I would like some advice, also if i upgrade the gpu would I need to upgrade the psu too or is 500w enough?. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Einvi said:

Budget (including currency): 300.000-350.000 CLP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: cyberpunk2077, rdr2, gta5, skyrim modded

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

- gtx 1650 d6

- i3-10100F

- Gigabyte H410M H

-16gb ram

- EVGA 500 W1

Hello people, I was wondering wich part should I upgrade first to get more fps in games like cyberpunk2077, rdr2, gta5, skyrim modded and more open world games, right now I was thinking on replacing the cpu for an i5-10400F but idk if that's enough to get 1080p60fps. in another place they told me that if I wanted to see a difference I should upgrade the gpu(right now thinking an rtx2060 as they are cheap on amazon) so I would like some advice, also if i upgrade the gpu would I need to upgrade the psu too or is 500w enough?. Thanks.

Find out what is currently limiting your performance. Use a tool like MSI Afterburner that can monitor your gpu and cpu usage. If your gpu usage hits 99-100% and cpu is still (well) below 70-90%, you're gpu limited and upgrading graphics card will give you more fps. If the cpu is also used quite a lot, upgrading the cpu can help, but only if your graphics card is used less than 100%.

You can also monitor this with task manager in Windows, just leave it open while gaming and alt-tab out to check the graphs.

Probably the CPU ... but if you plan to go 12 gen, you'd have to also upgrade the motherboard.

The GTX1650 is very close to performance to a RX570 from AMD, and with the right graphical quality settings I can do well over 60fps at 1920x1200 in most games - with the Ryzen 5800 I have. Before I had a FX8320 and the performance was worse.

Cyperpunk is cpu intensive, as is rdr2 and gta5 (both use kind of the same engine, rdr2 would be an improved gta5 engine)

I only played Cyberpunk for a couple hours when it was released, so I don't remember what fps I had

Here's a video with the 1.5 patch and comparison between 1650 and rx570 on low/medium/high quality settings ..so you could compare with your results.

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Probably the CPU ... but if you plan to go 12 gen, you'd have to also upgrade the motherboard.

The GTX1650 is very close to performance to a RX570 from AMD, and with the right graphical quality settings I can do well over 60fps at 1920x1200 in most games - with the Ryzen 5800 I have. Before I had a FX8320 and the performance was worse.

Cyperpunk is cpu intensive, as is rdr2 and gta5 (both use kind of the same engine, rdr2 would be an improved gta5 engine)

I only played Cyberpunk for a couple hours when it was released, so I don't remember what fps I had

Here's a video with the 1.5 patch and comparison between 1650 and rx570 on low/medium/high quality settings ..so you could compare with your results.

Are you insinuating that upgrading from a 10100 to a 5600 would meaningfully improve fps in anything while still using a 1650?  I can't wrap my head around that.  It's essentially a slightly faster 6700, which is wide open for much faster GPUs than the 1650.

A used 1070 is a VERY cheap thing on eBay right now, and that would almost certainly double OP's fps in nearly everything for a lot less than a platform upgrade.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Just now, Queen Chrysalis said:

Are you insinuating that upgrading from a 10100 to a 5600 would improve fps in anything while still using a 1650?  I can't wrap my head around that.  It's essentially a slightly faster 6700, which is wide open for much faster GPUs than the 1650.

A used 1070 is a VERY cheap thing right now, and that would almost certainly double OP's fps in nearly everything for a lot less than a platform upograde.

I've felt the performance just from FX8320 to my 5800x , with my RX570.

If I go by the benchmark scores from https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php it's a jump from 5400 points for the FX 8320 to 28100 points for the 5800x .. and 5600x has around 22k points. 

The 10100 scores around 8700 points so.... 

Ok, these scores are a bit bullshit, but nevertheless there's a huge jump in IPC with the newer gen processors, you do more instructions per clock, the cores are faster, so the driver is more responsive and can feed the video card with more data and you can get more frames.

The thing is he mentions games that are particularly sensitive about cpu, like Cyberpunk and RDR2 ... other games may not care that much about CPU.

You can see in the video above, the guy mentions he has a 10400F (6 core, up to 4.3ghz boost , though I see it mostly hovering at 4 ghz) and the game is cpu bound, all cores above 85-90%.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I've felt the performance just from FX8320 to my 5800x , with my RX570.

If I go by the benchmark scores from https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php it's a jump from 5400 points for the FX 8320 to 28100 points for the 5800x .. and 5600x has around 22k points. 

The 10100 scores around 8700 points so.... 

Ok, these scores are a bit bullshit, but nevertheless there's a huge jump in IPC with the newer gen processors, you do more instructions per clock, the cores are faster, so the driver is more responsive and can feed the video card with more data and you can get more frames.

The thing is he mentions games that are particularly sensitive about cpu, like Cyberpunk and RDR2 ... other games may not care that much about CPU.

You can see in the video above, the guy mentions he has a 10400F (6 core, up to 4.3ghz boost , though I see it mostly hovering at 4 ghz) and the game is cpu bound, all cores above 85-90%.

Bulldozer to zen 3 is incomparable to rocket lake to alder lake.  Like, not even in the same solar system.  The rest makes sense, but with a 1650 that scenario is never gonna be the case.  That's also at 900p, and threads 8-11 aren't doing anything that can't be easily multitasked to threads 6 and 7.

i suspect both your gpu and cpu are limiting factors in this build.

However a 10400 wont make your slow GPU any faster.

so the GPU is more important. 

However once the GPU is upgraded you'll likely find the i3 will be holding you back in many of the more demanding titles.

And what do you guys say about the psu? enough? if I wanted to buy an rtx2060. Somebody told me that it was D tier and I should change it

8 hours ago, Einvi said:

And what do you guys say about the psu? enough? if I wanted to buy an rtx2060. Somebody told me that it was D tier and I should change it

Yeah it's not good.  If you get a new GPU you should get a new PSU, but it depends on what GPU you get.