First time NAS owner & plex enthusiast - some ques

ElBirdo

Hello all,

A little background ....

So ever since i discovered PLEX is a thing, I always dreamed about having my own "Netflix" with b****s & blackjack, my own personal curated collection of TV shows and movies (as i am a compulsive TV show watcher <its just how i unwind at times be a couch pottato drink beer and watch ma fav TV shows>).

To this end i have invested some $$$ in the following NAS model from QNAP TS-653D, a model which i also upgraded a bit and now has 16 GBs of Corsair Vengeance ram and also (and just because i had the parts lying around) a PCIE expansion card to with 2x 256GB Sata m2 drives to serve as a cache. ( yes i know having a cache for what I'm doing with this device is overkill and prolly doesn't really do much but i had them lying around). The NAS bays are populated with 6x Iron Wolf Pros 4 Tbs. (RAID 10 - yes yes yes i know why on earth have redundancy on a media server u can just re-download the things later if push comes to shove - whelp like i said i will have a carefully curated library and if imma spent time on organizing sheet the way i like with a folder structure they way i like .... i don't wanna do this again anytime soon).

So once i have this little cute box in my hand i was off to the races and installed PLEX and like everything is groovy ....however ... some cogs got to spinning in ma head...

Not that familiar with the intricacies of video transcoding however i know as much that the intel proc in ma box can only handle so many concomitant streams, (my content will be 1080p with the occasional 4k-ish movie) and ideally i would like to share access with a couple of people no more than 4-5 ( a brother, couple of friends).

Question basically is .... should i ditch the cache PCIE in favor of a low profile 1050ti ? (read something that its compatible with the device ?)

Is it worth it ?

7 hours ago, ElBirdo said:

Hello all,

A little background ....

So ever since i discovered PLEX is a thing, I always dreamed about having my own "Netflix" with b****s & blackjack, my own personal curated collection of TV shows and movies (as i am a compulsive TV show watcher <its just how i unwind at times be a couch pottato drink beer and watch ma fav TV shows>).

To this end i have invested some $$$ in the following NAS model from QNAP TS-653D, a model which i also upgraded a bit and now has 16 GBs of Corsair Vengeance ram and also (and just because i had the parts lying around) a PCIE expansion card to with 2x 256GB Sata m2 drives to serve as a cache. ( yes i know having a cache for what I'm doing with this device is overkill and prolly doesn't really do much but i had them lying around). The NAS bays are populated with 6x Iron Wolf Pros 4 Tbs. (RAID 10 - yes yes yes i know why on earth have redundancy on a media server u can just re-download the things later if push comes to shove - whelp like i said i will have a carefully curated library and if imma spent time on organizing sheet the way i like with a folder structure they way i like .... i don't wanna do this again anytime soon).

So once i have this little cute box in my hand i was off to the races and installed PLEX and like everything is groovy ....however ... some cogs got to spinning in ma head...

Not that familiar with the intricacies of video transcoding however i know as much that the intel proc in ma box can only handle so many concomitant streams, (my content will be 1080p with the occasional 4k-ish movie) and ideally i would like to share access with a couple of people no more than 4-5 ( a brother, couple of friends).

Question basically is .... should i ditch the cache PCIE in favor of a low profile 1050ti ? (read something that its compatible with the device ?)

Is it worth it ?

I doubt you can use a GPU, but maybe it does support that? But regardless, for direct playback in Plex, you don’t need any GPU, you need little more then a potato to be honest. If you do need to transcode, I am not sure how well that NAS is going to handle it. But do you actually need to transcode? Will will be watching this via the internet or just over the LAN? If over the internet, what is your upload speed?

Also, why RAID10? How do you have the array set up across the 6 drives? Why not just use 2 drives for redundancy which would be more then enough parity for 6 discs. 

Rig: i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 4.8 Ring - - Z490 Vision G - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz 15-17-17-34 @ 3500MHz 16-19-19-38 - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 64 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - 10TB WD Red for expendable data - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Hello,

Thanks for feedback 🙂

Whelp i did RAID10 cause i dunno made sense in my head at the time and i just didn't know any better ? But thank you for your suggestion, i moved data off device and am now converting to RAID6 (yay moar space).

In regards to the transcoding question yeah, i mean primarily gonna be using it in my house over LAN but ideally I'd like to give access to a couple of close friends (even setup Ombi so they can make the occasional request).

Was just wondering from people with more NAS / Plex exp, if its worth the effort to try and jam a low profile card in there.

I know for a fact it can be done, just found an actual video from QNAP, i just don't wanna do it if like it will not be worth the hassle.

8 hours ago, ElBirdo said:

Hello,

Thanks for feedback 🙂

Whelp i did RAID10 cause i dunno made sense in my head at the time and i just didn't know any better ? But thank you for your suggestion, i moved data off device and am now converting to RAID6 (yay moar space).

In regards to the transcoding question yeah, i mean primarily gonna be using it in my house over LAN but ideally I'd like to give access to a couple of close friends (even setup Ombi so they can make the occasional request).

Was just wondering from people with more NAS / Plex exp, if its worth the effort to try and jam a low profile card in there.

I know for a fact it can be done, just found an actual video from QNAP, i just don't wanna do it if like it will not be worth the hassle.

Once it’s all set up in RAID 6, try and play a video locally, but via transcoding. See how it does. If it can transcode fast enough to not stutter, it’s fine. But the more important question is how fast is your internet upload speed? 

If your upload speed is fast (20mbps+), you may not need to transcode 1080p files anyways and would be able to stream full quality remotely. 

Rig: i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 4.8 Ring - - Z490 Vision G - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz 15-17-17-34 @ 3500MHz 16-19-19-38 - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 64 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - 10TB WD Red for expendable data - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air