VLC showing darker image than other media players

So here, we see VLC on the right showing a darker image. This is the same video by the way in about the same spot. The whole video is like this and it wasn't edited to be like that in Hitfilm. also, VLC is at absolute default. Here's a screenshot of both players on the same screen. Can anyone tell me why VLC is dark like this and how to make it... not be like this?

image.thumb.jpeg.99714bfa130c144c70a4259f5adce540.jpeg

So we found out that Nvidia GeForce exp. Had it listed as a game it wanted to optimize. Also under the codec section of vlc, it has hardware acceleration. Turn it off and this problem will stop. If I knew how to push this post up to the top of Google search, I would because nobody has answers and here it is 

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.d3fbe61b2a0661da0dbb93c629f3ccec.png

Made an account to say the same! However disabling hardware acceleration did not fix this issue for me as in this screenshot it is disabled, and Nvidia Experience is not effecting VLC currently. Very frustrating.

Make sure also that effects and filters under the tools menu are all off and that any sort of HDR isn't affecting the player. I can see from your screenshot that HDR might not be since you have 2 different images, but it's worth mentioning. See if you can install an older version of VLC from the website, maybe that'll do it. Also, you only mentioned Nvidia Experience, try looking at Nvidia Control Panel as well if you haven't already and make sure VLC isn't being "enhanced" by that. Under Hardware Accelerated Encoding in the Codec and Inputs section in preferences, try all of the options. For now, that's all I can come up with is just these small things to do, but if none of those work, come back and I'll try to come up with something else.

• 6 months later...

Changing "output" from Auto to Dx9 fixed it for me.

image.png.778d914e30ae4c124e9dec76b35e861c.png

There are alternatives to VLC.

Also, doesn't VLC also have plenty of options when it comes to renderer? Mayke you can change that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking