Unusually high temperatures, was my CPU tampered with?

kiroma
Go to solution Solved by Tegneren,

The 5800X is a hot one. I have it myself, and like you I saw the 90+C quite often.

What I found worked best was a negative 0.1V core voltage offset as well as PBO Curve Optimizer set to negative 20(milage may vary here).

This reduced the temps from 90+ down to about 75C during Cinebench without any performance loss. This is with a air  cooler

So I have a rather peculiar issue, I bought a refurbished R7 5800X, and it works fine (albeit it had a bent pin when it came, but I unbent it without much of an issue), however no matter what cooling I employ on the CPU it seems to be prone to overheating. I had a SilentiumPC Fortis 3 on it, and now have switched to Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, and I saw essentially no change in thermal behaviour. It still goes straight to 90 degrees when I put load on it. This of course limits its boosting capabilities. Is it possible that someone has tampered with the CPU before returning it to the shop and now has caused the temperatures to be substandard?

unknown.png

Refurbished can save money, but doesn't always end well. I also am not a fan of liquid cooling, too many ifs with it. How much thermal paste did you use on the CPU plate? I gave my 5900X three small dots center mast triangle formation and had very little excess. Is the cooler properly tightened against the CPU lid? Have you purged all the air from the cooling system?

These are the biggest problems with cooling, especially with liquid cooling. Feel your lines and see if any areas are warmer or cooler than others, that could indicate airlock or blockage. Also, what case do you have? If your case can't flow enough air, nothing you do will fix this otherwise.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I used most of the provided tube, large dot on the centre of the IHS, I usually had good spread with that. Tightened fairly well, gave it a good twist with my hands and then a bit with the screwdriver. Hopefully over-torquing shouldn't be an issue?

It's an AIO, so I can't really purge air from it lol.

And the case is completely disassembled right now so there's loads of airflow.

The previous air cooler I tried re-mounting twice too with very little effect on the temperatures, if any.

12 minutes ago, kiroma said:

So I have a rather peculiar issue, I bought a refurbished R7 5800X, and it works fine (albeit it had a bent pin when it came, but I unbent it without much of an issue), however no matter what cooling I employ on the CPU it seems to be prone to overheating. I had a SilentiumPC Fortis 3 on it, and now have switched to Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, and I saw essentially no change in thermal behaviour. It still goes straight to 90 degrees when I put load on it. This of course limits its boosting capabilities. Is it possible that someone has tampered with the CPU before returning it to the shop and now has caused the temperatures to be substandard?

unknown.png

170W PPT is pretty high for a 5800X, no surprise it's cooking, did you tamper with power limits or OC/PBO ?

With my 5900X at such PPT I also go to 85C+, using a bigger 280 rad and a DC pump and reservoir..

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

The 5800X is a hot one. I have it myself, and like you I saw the 90+C quite often.

What I found worked best was a negative 0.1V core voltage offset as well as PBO Curve Optimizer set to negative 20(milage may vary here).

This reduced the temps from 90+ down to about 75C during Cinebench without any performance loss. This is with a air  cooler

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

No, stock PBO settings, it just sits on an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max.

Also the temperature just goes straight to 90 degrees, within like 1 second load starting, I don't think that's enough time to heat up all the liquid in the loop?

19 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Well, I'll give it a shot I guess, thanks.

I just reviewed the AIO mounting instructions...

I put the mounting bracket on wrong

I'll try to re-do the mount and report with further developments.

Yeah it's now boosting to 170W PPT and it's still below 90 degrees, just barely but makes a massive difference.

I needed to take a hard look at this illustration to realize that I screwed up.

am4-installation-015.jpg