Am I misunderstanding FreeSync? Still getting tearing

Shoopman

I recently upgraded my monitor and went from Gsync to Freesync. AFAIK these two technologies are basically identical. They are supposed to sync your monitor's refresh rate to the output of the GPU, displaying exactly one frame every time one is rendered. This eliminates tearing because the display is not trying to show two halves of different frames at once.

Here is where my confusion starts: I am playing Resident Evil 8 with Freesync on and Vsync off, with a framerate cap of 116 and refresh rate of 120. However, I am still getting tearing. Not all the time, but it pops up fairly often. How I understand it is that Vsync is not needed with G/Freesync as long as your FPS is not exceeding the refresh rate of the display, hence the fps cap. If I'm wrong please let me know because this is driving me crazy. I triple checked that everything is set correctly. If I turn Vsync on, the tearing goes away.

The only thing I can think of (if I'm not just wrong about how this all works) is that 116 is somehow not low enough of a cap? Is it possible that the game is spiking above 116 momentarily, too fast for to be compensated for? I was to be clear that this doesn't happen in other games, not even other Resident Evil games which use the same engine, so it's very weird to me.

Have you tried restarting PC? Switching between full screen exclusive and borderless windows? Reinstall graphics driver? 

You did the right thing with capping FPS just below refresh rate, I went one step further and cap at exact refresh rate and turn on enhanced-sync / fast-sync. But yes, sometimes freesync just don't like to work on certain games for no reason and going through some simple troubleshootings usually solves the issue.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

1 hour ago, Shoopman said:

I recently upgraded my monitor and went from Gsync to Freesync. AFAIK these two technologies are basically identical. They are supposed to sync your monitor's refresh rate to the output of the GPU, displaying exactly one frame every time one is rendered. This eliminates tearing because the display is not trying to show two halves of different frames at once.

Here is where my confusion starts: I am playing Resident Evil 8 with Freesync on and Vsync off, with a framerate cap of 116 and refresh rate of 120. However, I am still getting tearing. Not all the time, but it pops up fairly often. How I understand it is that Vsync is not needed with G/Freesync as long as your FPS is not exceeding the refresh rate of the display, hence the fps cap. If I'm wrong please let me know because this is driving me crazy. I triple checked that everything is set correctly. If I turn Vsync on, the tearing goes away.

The only thing I can think of (if I'm not just wrong about how this all works) is that 116 is somehow not low enough of a cap? Is it possible that the game is spiking above 116 momentarily, too fast for to be compensated for? I was to be clear that this doesn't happen in other games, not even other Resident Evil games which use the same engine, so it's very weird to me.

I wouldn't cap the FPS in the game engine, but I would turn on fast sycn in nvidia control panel. This lets the game run at full speed (since having the engine hold it back can cause issues, potentially what your seeing), but only allows the GPU to actually output frames within the adaptive refresh FPS window. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Turn on V-Sync globally in your GPU driver, but OFF in the ingame settings. Then the rest of the tearing will go away and you won't have the input lag from ingame implementations.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.