Help me Choose a Graphics Card

ImRoma

Hey guys, i need some help choosing a graphics card, it is not because i have a lot of money and i can't make up my mind, it is because i don't want anything too powerful.

I'm rocking an Athlon 3000g, with a 400w PSU. unfortunately my mother board doesn't support overclocking.

I was thinking in buying a GTX 1650. I can't even use all of its potential anyway because the CPU.

I'm saving my money to Black Friday, anything @ $ 300 will do, i am also going to buy some RAM. any suggestions are welcome!

24 minutes ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

dont. upgrade your cpu.

Based on "I can't OC my CPU because of my motherboard", I doubt a decent CPU will be all that useful.

@ topic starter: 1050 ti might be for you. It's budget friendly, still slightly modern, WAY better then an APU and doesn't require an extra power source.

I've used one for a few years, up to almost 3 years ago. And I could play all the indi games I wanted on a 1280x1024 screen. After that I've upgraded my screen to 1080p and a 1060 3g GPU. It really sips power when @ idle, but it does require an extra power cable... Should be ok for your PSU, but I doubt you would see any improvements in performance going past such a GPU. (I don't know enough about the GPU you've mentioned, other then it's better then what I've got)

4 minutes ago, Jahee said:

Based on "I can't OC my CPU because of my motherboard", I doubt a decent CPU will be all that useful.

@ topic starter: 1050 ti might be for you. It's budget friendly, still slightly modern, WAY better then an APU and doesn't require an extra power source.

I've used one for a few years, up to almost 3 years ago. And I could play all the indi games I wanted on a 1280x1024 screen. After that I've upgraded my screen to 1080p and a 1060 3g GPU. It really sips power when @ idle, but it does require an extra power cable... Should be ok for your PSU, but I doubt you would see any improvements in performance going past such a GPU. (I don't know enough about the GPU you've mentioned, other then it's better then what I've got)

He didnt mention a gpu. Athlon came befor ryzen

2 minutes ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

Athlon came befor ryzen

Athlon is just a brand name AMD has used on and off for years, like Pentium with Intel. The Athlon 3000G he has is a is a Zen+ architecture chip, same era as the Ryzen 2xxx processors. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

He didnt mention a gpu. Athlon came befor ryzen

I once had a first-gen Athlon-named CPU. It's the same kind of a name, like Celeron or Pentium. Those names seem to last a long time.

10 hours ago, Jahee said:

I did some research, the 1050 is a pretty outdated card. If I'm getting something, it needs to have a little bit of 'life' ahead of it.

Pretty sure the 1050 is not going to be worth it, thinking in getting a 1650 Super.

I'll upgrade the processor later on.

3 minutes ago, ImRoma said:

I did some research, the 1050 is a pretty outdated card. If I'm getting something, it needs to have a little bit of 'life' ahead of it.

Pretty sure the 1050 is not going to be worth it, thinking in getting a 1650 Super.

I'll upgrade the processor later on.

Both 1050 (ti) and 1650 are a 1xxx series card. And you mentioned being on a budget. And a limited PSU. And you've mentioned probably not being able to use the full potential of a 1650. So my advice still stands. 😉

When considering a processor upgrade and having a "future proof" GPU, just buy the best darn thing you're able to afford. And pay attention to the first number of a GPU: that's the line/generation. Higher number usually means it's more modern. And in ye olden days: GTX 960 would be comparable with a 1050. 980 to a 1070 and such. But with a lesser demand on power. (IIRC, the RTX stuffs messed this up, same-ish performance but with an added feature which many games didn't support all that well during release)

3 hours ago, Jahee said:

Both 1050 (ti) and 1650 are a 1xxx series card. And you mentioned being on a budget. And a limited PSU. And you've mentioned probably not being able to use the full potential of a 1650. So my advice still stands. 😉

When considering a processor upgrade and having a "future proof" GPU, just buy the best darn thing you're able to afford. And pay attention to the first number of a GPU: that's the line/generation. Higher number usually means it's more modern. And in ye olden days: GTX 960 would be comparable with a 1050. 980 to a 1070 and such. But with a lesser demand on power. (IIRC, the RTX stuffs messed this up, same-ish performance but with an added feature which many games didn't support all that well during release)

Thanks man didn't know that. Appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Jahee said:

Both 1050 (ti) and 1650 are a 1xxx series card.

This is not true.

1050 is Pascal. 1650 is Turing. 16xx is the numbering Nvidia used for the Turing cards without RTX features, the ones that did have them were 20xx.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16