EVGA Z20 Keyboard Replacement

I bought the  EVGA Z20 when it came out originally. Since buying it, I've had nothing but issues even after doing an RMA. The keyboard works great for a few months, then the keyboard will freeze while typing and shut itself off. The only way to get it to work again is to reach behind my computer to unplug the USB cables and plug them back in. I've used different USB ports to see if it was an issue with the ports, but it still does the same thing. After doing my last RMA I received what I "think" is a refurbished version, except this one has squeaky keys and keys that get stuck when pressing them. It is also having the same issues as the original one.

TLDR: This keyboard has sadly been junk.

Does anyone have good recommendations for mechanical keyboards used for gaming and typing? I'm going through videos from LTT but there's a lot to go through. There aren't any reviews that take place after months of use either, so I'm looking for first hand recommendations from keyboards that have weathered use and still perform great.

Your safest option is Logitech. They are one of, if not the biggest brand in computer accessories, and therefore have the best support. They also make really great keyboards. I personally have a Logitech G Pro keyboard that's over 2 years old at this point and it is still rock solid, not a single defect.

Some other options I've heard good reviews from are Corsair and Keychron, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Still, they make good keyboards.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, lw88 said:

How much are you willing to spend and what features/switches do you want?

As for 'used for gaming and typing' literally any keyboard or keyboard switch can be used for both. That's just a thing people who don't know much about mechanical keyboards, or marketing drones, use to describe switches.

If you just want a general recommendation for a solid board from a good manufacturer that'll last - get the keychron V1. But, again, it might not even be the right layout for you.

When I refer to gaming and and typing there are some specific aspects to this.
One of the most importing aspects is being able to have multiple buttons register at once. Running, strafing, shooting, jumping, etc. Some keyboards will not handle more than a few simultaneous keystrokes and will stop registering. So there are keyboards that would be fantastic to type on, but horrible for gaming. Durability also comes into play when gaming. Sitting there mashing keys as fast as I can as part of a game mechanic. Not thinking about how hard the keys are being pressed, but rapid and hard presses can cause damage to keyboards not designed for it.
Then obviously for typing, I need something that is comfortable to type on for long periods of time. Whether that's key spacing, firmness/resistance when pressing the keys, actuating at a comfortable level and returning to position quickly enough so you can type the next word. Really important for fast typists. 
So really, I just need a multi-purpose keyboard. 
Though, I do understand where you're coming from in regards to some marketing terms that are baseless around keyboard functionality. Really, any marketing with any product though.

I did end up going with the K70 from Corsair. The key presses are taking a little to get used to. There's a lot of travel and I tend to bottom out the keys when typing out of habit, so its a little more work than some others. It is comfortable though and feels great to type/game on.