Windows doesn't boot with AMD R9 280x

SUEHT4Mo

Hey there!

I've gamed with my GTX 1050 TI for a long time, then I got a R9 280x and started gaming with it because it gives me more FPS.

But now I got a problem, my computer just doesn't boot anymore with the GPU, it only does if I remove the two PCI cables from the GPU and plug the HDMI cable to the motherboard integrated video card.

However, I can still get into the BIOS, but with I little screen bug as you can see in the attached images.

My computer specs:

• CPU - Intel Pentium G4560
  • Ram - 12GB
  • PSU - Bluecase gamer 500W
  • GPU - AMD Radeon 9 280x MSI
  • Motherboard - ASRock H110m-HG4 

I thought it could be the PSU, but the GPU worked for few days before it stops.

By the way, I'm using the GPU UEFI Bios.

Do you guys have an idea of what is the problem and how can I fix it?

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 18.26.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 18.26.36 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 18.26.36.jpeg

Looks like the memory is starting to fail on the graphics card since you're getting weird artifacts in display.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If that is the problem, would there be any way to fix it?

5 minutes ago, SUEHT4Mo said:

If that is the problem, would there be any way to fix it?

No, as either the memory chips themselves are failing or the solder joints between the chips and pads on the PCB of the graphics card.

Unless you can do high-level board repair and replace them with correct memory chips, then repair is possible.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I hope it's not the GPU memory because I can't repair it.

Could it be the PSU? If so, maybe I could make an underclock.

42 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Looks like the memory is starting to fail on the graphics card since you're getting weird artifacts in display.

If I read the topic starters first message correctly, he didn't get any output from his GPU. He only got output from his iGPU. So these artifacts are not related to his GPU memory?

@ topic starter:
-Did you only get iGPU output after removing the 2 power cables to the GPU?
-You didn't actually have to remove the GPU itself?
-Do you perhaps still have the 1050, for trouble shooting?
-Can you test the monitor with a different device? (laptop perhaps?)

With the iGPU in use, boot up into windows. Add some random .MP3 file into your start-up folder, so "it should make noise once fully booted". Reconnect your cables and plug in your monitor into your GPU, and "start the pc". Wait some time, and see if you managed to hear something playing/windows fully booted. (then it's kinda for sure your GPU, if it's not your monitor acting up)

Others might also want to know what PSU you have, to compare it with the power requirements for your system. (I can't be bothered to do that math mysefl)

Edited by Jahee
Fixed a typ0.

I can only get output from IGPU if I remove the 2 power cables from the GPU. If I remove the GPU, the IGPU doesn't works. Probably because of a BIOS configuration.

I don't have any other monitor, and I JUST SOLD MY 1050 TI THIS MORNIG!!! My unlucky is extremally high today.

I also tried removing and inserting the GPU, didn't work at all.

10 minutes ago, Jahee said:

If I read the topic starters first message correctly, he didn't get any output from his GPU. He only got output from his iGPU. So these artifacts are not related to his GPU memory?

It sounded as if he unplugged the PCIe power to the graphics card and still had HDMI plugged in, giving an output. My mistake.

Still though, OP should not be having those lines in the output on BIOS. No drivers are loaded into BIOS.

OP can try using a different HDMI cable to see if these are symptoms of a bad cable.

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

It sounded as if he unplugged the PCIe power to the graphics card and still had HDMI plugged in, giving an output. My mistake.

Still though, OP should not be having those lines in the output on BIOS. No drivers are loaded into BIOS.

OP can try using a different HDMI cable to see if these are symptoms of a bad cable.

It's not the cable because it works perfectly on IGPU, like now.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 19.42.26 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 19.42.26.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SUEHT4Mo said:

I can only get output from IGPU if I remove the 2 power cables from the GPU. If I remove the GPU, the IGPU doesn't works. Probably because of a BIOS configuration.

I don't have any other monitor, and I JUST SOLD MY 1050 TI THIS MORNIG!!! My unlucky is extremally high today.

I also tried removing and inserting the GPU, didn't work at all.

Yea, never be left with only one device. 😛 I sold my old 1050 ti when I upgraded to a 1060 3g, but only months after having used the new-to-me card. And to be sure I had a back-up system, I still have my old AMD A8 5600k APU based system in storage.

But yea, GPU with no output, iGPU with loads of artifacts... You might have external issues?

2 minutes ago, SUEHT4Mo said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 19.42.26 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 19.42.26.jpeg

Might still be a cable, with just now incidentally works as intended. Did you try that suggestion with having 110% confirmation your OS won't boot if you've plugged in both power cables to your GPU? Did you list what PSU you have?

3 minutes ago, SUEHT4Mo said:

~Snipped~

It's highly unusual to have those lines in BIOS. At least this rules out the cable and the problem lies with the graphics card.

Just now, Jahee said:

Might still be a cable, with just now incidentally works as intended. Did you try that suggestion with having 110% confirmation your OS won't boot if you've plugged in both power cables to your GPU? Did you list what PSU you have?

I listed my PSU and I tried booting up my PC with the 2 cables about ten times and didn't work.

And it might be my bad English, I'm sorry, the IGPU is not having any screen artifacts.

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

It's highly unusual to have those lines in BIOS. At least this rules out the cable and the problem lies with the graphics card.

Yeah. Now I'm using my PC with the graphic card on the motherboard without the 2 power cables, so it's off. And the HDMI cable is also plugged in the motherboard, using the IGPU. 

Ok, I just plugged the 2 power cables and the HDMI in the GPU. These are the results.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 20.03.29.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 20.03.03.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 20.02.51.jpeg