eGPU Razer Core X (Chroma) - Discussion about issues and fixes.

My system:

Spoiler

Os = Windows 11 Pro & Debian Budgie

model = Tuxedo Book XP14 Gen12

CPU = Tiger Lake i7-1165G7 (4x4.70 GHz) + Intel Iris Xe iGPU (1.30 GHz)

RAM = 64 GB DDR4-3200 LPDDR4x-4267

BIOS = INSYDE UEFI

SSD: Samsung Pro Evo 980 2TB

eGPU = Razer Core X Chroma + Aorus Nvidia RTX3060

Issues:

Spoiler
  • If a USB device is connected to the dock, the system dont want to boot or fails after 5 minutes of operation and Windows BSOD shows sometimes driver_verifier_dma_violation (This Razer support answer doesnt solve the Problem for me) or Dpc_WatchDog_Violation (I mean this error is caused by the Aorus vga  utility)
  • If the keyboard or mouse is connected to the dock, both will have a long delay or will stutter (e.g Hhhheelllloooo).
  • The ASM3242 host controller (PCIe to USB 3.2 bridge with 20 Gbps) of my external SSD doesnt work, in short: I cant read from the ssd(dock specs: 4 X USB 3.1 Type-A)(It must work with TB3 at 10 Gbps).
  • The system sticks on high load.
  • With the connected Razer dock, the system freezes (GPU fans run at maximum speed) after 30 minutes - 120 minutes and after i disconnect the Razer dock, the system comes back to life or restarts.
  • The GPU looses much Performance (Razer dock: PCIe 3.0 x 16 with 16 GB/s Bandwidth)(The Nvidia Support says:"16 GB/s is enough for RTX GPUs")

Razer core x chroma supportet GPU:

Spoiler

GPU Max Power Support = 500 Watts

Windows 10 Compatible Graphics Chipsets  =

Compatible NVIDIA® graphics chipsets:      Geforce™ RTX 30 Series     GeForce™ Titan RTX Series     Geforce™ RTX 20 Series     GeForce™ Titan GTX Series     Geforce™ GTX 16 Series     Geforce™ GTX 10 Series     Geforce™ GTX 980 Ti – GTX 750     Quadro® RTX Series     Quadro® P Series 

Compatible AMD graphics chipsets:      Radeon ™ RX 5000 Series     Radeon ™ RX Vega Series     Radeon ™ RX 500 Series     Radeon ™ R9 Series     Radeon ™ Pro Series

Nvidia supportet TB3 GPU:

Spoiler

Edited by Alex B.
Additional information

What is the issue you're having? All you posted is your specs. I have this eGPU (non chroma version) so I might be able to answer your questions.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

Ok so, I have the non chroma version, which doesn't include any USB ports or a second USB C for thunderbolt daisy-chaining. I also used mine with an AMD GPU, so I'm not sure if Nvidia is the same way, but I can share a few things that might or might not help:

I discovered that when I disconnect mine I have to eject it like a flash drive (there is an icon in the tray to do it) before I unplug the cable, otherwise it won't reconnect properly until I restart my laptop. Razer also says in the manual to only connect it while the computer is off, in my experience this isn't necessary as long as I eject it properly when I'm done using it, but it can't hurt to try.

Another thing to note is that even though it's an X16 sized slot because that's what most graphics cards require, TB3 actually only runs PCIe Gen 3 X4. But the bandwidth should be more like 40Gbps rather than 16.

Try updating your BIOS if you haven't already, that's one of the things Razer recommended in the manual. It's good to do anyway even if it doesn't solve this problem.

How is everything connected? It sounds like the keyboard and mouse are plugged into the Razer box, which is plugged into your computer. Where does the external SSD fit in? Is it connected to a separate port on the computer, or is it also connected to the Razer?

Are you using the cable that came with the eGPU or one that is specifically sold as Thunderbolt 3/4 cable? Many manufacturers of USB C cables cheap out and don't connect all the pins, which limits them to USB 3.0 speeds and will not carry a Thunderbolt signal.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G