Massive case, need to upgrade cooling to fill up empty space.

Budget DIY

I've bought a new-to-me Corsair Graphite 780T black computer case. I've got an ATX mobo + Ryzen 3600 + Asus dual fan 1060 3g + 4 sticks of 8 gb memory + 4 HDD's + 1 SSD + 850 watts 80+ gold PSU + 4x 120 RGB fans inside this pc. CPU is being cooled with an CoolerMaster 240 AiO.

My issue is: when I put all this hardware inside this new case, it will look VERY empty. So I'm looking at upgrading my AiO, on the cheap. I could buy a random 360mm AiO for about 80-90 euro's. With the Ryzen 3600, even a trash (non-leaking) 360mm radiator would be overkill. But that would still leave some MASSIVE open spaces. I could benefit from a reservoir. That would mean a custom loop, which usually are kind of expensive. So this is what I'm thinking...

Modify my current CoolerMaster 240mm AiO. Buy an (AliExpress) 360mm radiator and a fancy tall reservoir. Few cheap fittings, and some clear flexible tubes. Remove the stock tubes, and add the reservoir + 360mm rad to the loop. This would get me a 240mm + 360mm + fancy reservoir custom loop. For about the same price, as a brand new cheap 360mm AiO.

-Downsides to this setup: the pump will be the weakest link. However, with a Ryzen 3600, I don't NEED all the flow. As long as it's moving trough the system, everything will be ok. Right? Pump is currently already set to max RPM, and I don't notice the noise. There might be a risk of leaks, however I'm confident I can make this loop watertight. (teflon tape, hose clamps)
-Positives: fills up the case, easy way to fill up the loop, can see volume, easy to add more components in the future. (flow meter, temp sensor, you get the idea) I could probably also add some colours to the liquid.

How horrible of an idea is this? Has it been done before? Didn't find much about this on Youtube.

Why don't you just swap the huge case for a smaller one ? You really have so much space to waste ? 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Why don't you just swap the huge case for a smaller one ? You really have so much space to waste ? 🙂

This case is really fancy to me. It has all the cooling options, which I like. But my main reason for getting this case: 6x 3.5" no-tools trays, and 3 trays for an SSD. And I like having them at an acceptable temp. + I've got larger hands, so cleaning it makes it much more easy.

Also, it's an (older) flagship case, in perfect condition, which I got for the price of a tin can. (paid 30 euros for it) It might be an older case, but still has just about all the modern requirements for an higher-end case. (cable management and such)

38 minutes ago, Jahee said:

This case is really fancy to me. It has all the cooling options, which I like. But my main reason for getting this case: 6x 3.5" no-tools trays, and 3 trays for an SSD. And I like having them at an acceptable temp. + I've got larger hands, so cleaning it makes it much more easy.

Also, it's an (older) flagship case, in perfect condition, which I got for the price of a tin can. (paid 30 euros for it) It might be an older case, but still has just about all the modern requirements for an higher-end case. (cable management and such)

Ok

Your cheap watercooling idea makes sense then 🙂

If you want to reduce failure risk you could get a decent DC pump, it's not that expensive

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

If you want to reduce failure risk you could get a decent DC pump, it's not that expensive

I've seen some affordable reservoir/pump combo's. But what would I do with my current CPU block with integrated pump? Would I just have both pumps running at the same time? Or should I remove the internals from the original pump, so I would improve waterflow? (if I'd leave the CPU block pump unplugged)

If I would have to buy a new CPU block, it would add allot more cost. Not only the block itself, but most likely also new fittings for soft tubing. And at that point, there isn't all that much to salvage from my current AiO.

*my current pump is really silent, although it runs at 100% 24/7*

12 minutes ago, Jahee said:

I've seen some affordable reservoir/pump combo's. But what would I do with my current CPU block with integrated pump? Would I just have both pumps running at the same time? Or should I remove the internals from the original pump, so I would improve waterflow? (if I'd leave the CPU block pump unplugged)

If I would have to buy a new CPU block, it would add allot more cost. Not only the block itself, but most likely also new fittings for soft tubing. And at that point, there isn't all that much to salvage from my current AiO.

*my current pump is really silent, although it runs at 100% 24/7*

You can keep both pumps, it's no issue, it'll even help waterflow

I did the same in my rig, I've just added a D5 pump to existing AIO

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I did the same in my rig, I've just added a D5 pump to existing AIO

Do you have pictures of your modified AIO on these forums?

1 hour ago, Jahee said:

Do you have pictures of your modified AIO on these forums?

Can share that here, but I had the advantage of having Alphacool stuff which already has QR connectors so only had to "build" the tubing of the pump

I've also added a GPU block (gfrom Alphacool as well) to the loop

1215109938_2022-03-1413_30_48.jpg

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Can share that here, but I had the advantage of having Alphacool stuff which already has QR connectors so only had to "build" the tubing of the pump

I've also added a GPU block (gfrom Alphacool as well) to the loop

1215109938_2022-03-1413_30_48.jpg

Your case for sure looks filled up. 😛 And I can see the mix 'n match tubes in there. Ever considered replacing all the tubes, and making it more uniform? More the same, with a slightly cleaner look? Or would that just mess up your fancy pre-attached connectors.

4 hours ago, Jahee said:

Your case for sure looks filled up. 😛 And I can see the mix 'n match tubes in there. Ever considered replacing all the tubes, and making it more uniform? More the same, with a slightly cleaner look? Or would that just mess up your fancy pre-attached connectors.

Yeah yeah I know I should redo all the tubing with nice transparent tubes, I just never have the courage to do it ... if it works why fixing it  ? 😉

Plus and foremost the case is under my desk on the left against a wall, so it's not visible except for photoshoots sessions 😄

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah yeah I know I should redo all the tubing with nice transparent tubes, I just never have the courage to do it ... if it works why fixing it  ? 😉

Plus and foremost the case is under my desk on the left against a wall, so it's not visible except for photoshoots sessions 😄

Agreed up to a point. With those thick tubes, you might actually be restricting airflow a fair bit. Not that important with your CPU in mind, and probably not 110% horrible for your GPU. However, imagine the important components on your motherboard being toasty...

*PS:my current PC is on the left side of my desk. So I bought a early 2000's crappy computer case from a thrift store, and modded every panel. I even flipped the motherboard to the left side and added glass to the right side panel. 😛 But yea, time to upgrade.

Btw, this is a topic I started, where I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to build my own custom reservoir.

1 minute ago, Jahee said:

Agreed up to a point. With those thick tubes, you might actually be restricting airflow a fair bit. Not that important with your CPU in mind, and probably not 110% horrible for your GPU. However, imagine the important components on your motherboard being toasty...

*PS:my current PC is on the left side of my desk. So I bought a early 2000's crappy computer case from a thrift store, and modded every panel. I even flipped the motherboard to the left side and added glass to the right side panel. 😛 But yea, time to upgrade.

Btw, this is a topic I started, where I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to build my own custom reservoir.

Well indeed my temps aren't that good inside, even with everything watercooled board reaches 60C 

The case is enclosed except on the front, that may be the main issue for airflow...

Anyway it all looks quite good imo 🙂

1853690797_2022-03-1413_38_05.thumb.jpg.2add065367f369024b0883fb20c7a511.jpg

WP_20200804_12_16_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.9b80a1f998d8c8e093a867a46be20ce6.jpg

Pre-me-using-it-for-5-minutes. It's clean here. Never really took the time to install the front cover of this pc. As you can see, it's a HIGHLY modded junk case. All temps are good. (big hole in the wall currently contains a small aquarium, very well visbible from both sides)