USB C ports no longer transmit data

braymond21

Hi everyone, I've got a very odd problem I've never heard of before.

For some background, I have a Dell XPS 15 (although it thinks it's a Razer Blade, not sure why) and it's been working great for the last year or two. Recently, I got a Vivo X Fold (imported into the US and bought used from owner) and wanted to remove the bloatware. I plugged it into my computer with the cable included with the phone to run some adb commands and as soon as I enabled usb debugging, my laptop black screened, hard crashed, and was immediately off. Sort of like if there was a short of some sort. After struggling to get it to boot up, I got it running normally but noticed that my usb ports don't quite work. 

Here's the rundown on the current situation. All ports can deliver power, including receiving/outputting charge from the wall charger or out to a phone/tablet/headphones/whatever to charge them. I'm also able to plug in my dock and have my external display work. However, I can't connect any usb thumb drives, mice, my stream deck, or my ethernet adapter. 

I've tried a full wipe and reinstall of Windows, updating drivers, and mixing up the ports things are plugged into. I thought maybe I fried the ports somehow and I'm still not sure what happened, or why it affected all of the ports, but they still work, just not for data.

Any chance someone has an idea of what's going on? 

8 hours ago, braymond21 said:

Any chance someone has an idea of what's going on? 

Fryed the part where it processes data.

Maybe a slightly bent pin somewhere, or just random crap in the port. Sending the USB power part, trough the data lines. Doesn't have to create loads of smoke, but probably farted a little bit.

1 hour ago, Jahee said:

Fryed the part where it processes data.

Maybe a slightly bent pin somewhere, or just random crap in the port. Sending the USB power part, trough the data lines. Doesn't have to create loads of smoke, but probably farted a little bit.

I guess I should have specified that I only plugged into one port, and all 3 are now not functional so it's not just a bent pin or stuff in the port. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I can find out what does the processing of data specifically and just fix that part if it's possible 

25 minutes ago, braymond21 said:

I guess I should have specified that I only plugged into one port, and all 3 are now not functional so it's not just a bent pin or stuff in the port. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I can find out what does the processing of data specifically and just fix that part if it's possible 

There is most likely only 1 data controller, for all (3) USB ports. I'm not an electronics expert, but if you had USB-2.0 and USB-3.0, it might be using different chips.

1 hour ago, Jahee said:

There is most likely only 1 data controller, for all (3) USB ports. I'm not an electronics expert, but if you had USB-2.0 and USB-3.0, it might be using different chips.

Ah ok that makes sense. Maybe it's time to take it over to a repair shop then. Thanks for the info 

1 minute ago, braymond21 said:

Ah ok that makes sense. Maybe it's time to take it over to a repair shop then. Thanks for the info 

You might want to give us a bit more info on the laptop, before it broke. Some of us might be able to tell you if it's even worth getting the thing fixed. Because if it is indeed a fried chip, it's probably not worth fixing it.

*EDIT: Nvm, you've listed what the thing is. I don't know laptops, and how new/old this thing is.