APC battery backup power consumption oddity..

https://youtu.be/JOwwzO8IW9A

Maybe my tech buds here can wrap there heads around this one.   I never thought I'd have such results like this.  

This 4K Xfinity box is sucking up so much power.  And I'm not even sure if it's the box entirely.

Let me know what you guys think

Not even a tech bud really.  I don’t even have any idea what that app is you are using in the video.  I did take science(!  So as to differentiate Science! from the actual sciences) class in the 7th grade.  I also don’t care as much as some if I look like an idiot.  So I’ll take a whack at it with copious hubris and guessing.

Electricity makes heat.  So this box should be getting pretty warm. YouTube likely compresses their stuff a lot. They have to pay real money to upload stuff, so it makes sense to compress things as much as they can.  And Google gots skillz. Xfinity might not have to though because they own the delivery system.  They could even turn the speed of your internet up only when you are only downloading stuff from their site. It is good to be the king and own everything.  I’d be curious to know if your bandwidth is maybe going way up when you run your thing on xfinity.  If a lot more bits were coming in the thing would have to work harder so more electricity and thus more heat.  It could also be a codec thing.  Xfinity gets to make their hardware too.  They could be doing all kinds of things.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You were displaying a very bright image at the start, and the YT video you showed was mostly dark. Local dimming will reduce power consumption of the TV a bunch if the content is dark. 

Processing will make a difference too but main impact is certainly the backlight, which accounts for a good 80-90% of a TV's power consumption.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

You were displaying a very bright image at the start, and the YT video you showed was mostly dark. Local dimming will reduce power consumption of the TV a bunch if the content is dark. 

Processing will make a difference too but main impact is certainly the backlight, which accounts for a good 80-90% of a TV's power consumption.

There is an argument for a killawatt type device here to confirm where the power draw is actually coming from.  In my town you can check them out of the public library like a book so they don’t necessarily cost anything.   Not that they’re horrifically expensive to begin with.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The UPS does that already, just connect only one device to it at a time.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

The UPS does that already, just connect only one device to it at a time.

There is that I guess.  Might need some extension cords.