WFH Macbook Pro -> Windows PC switching solutions needed

P1ro

Howdy folks,

I recently started a WFH job and have been putting of making the most of my desk and PC setup which is costing me in productivity.

I'm running a main desktop PC for personal use: WIndows 10, wired mouse/keyboard + 2x 27" 2k monitors. For work I have a 16" Macbook Pro M1Max 2021. I need to, as seamlessly as possible, switch my peripherals and monitors between these two machines. I know there's some good solutions to this that exist but I can't seem to find them. Here are my requirements:

1) Mac and PC need to output to both displays at 2k resolution. PC needs to maintain 2k @144 bandwidth on main gaming monitor without hurting latency

2) Mac and PC need to be able to switch between at LEAST 2 USB 3.0 peripherals (mouse+keyboard) and optimally, USB C wireless headset dongle without hurting latency

The nitty gritty:

1) Both monitors support 1x HDMI and 1x DP connections

2) Mac has 3x USB thunderbolt type c connections and 1x HDMI

3) Desk real-estate is tight but two feet to the left of the desk/pc is another table I could possibly set the mac/switchers/hubs on

4) Mac needs to be able to turn on when shut (idk if this is only possible with a proper docking station or if there are other solutions)

Affordances:

1) I'm fine with manually switching one or both monitor's display inputs (source input buttons) if needed

2) I'm fine with only 2 USB switches since I can use my airpods for meetings, but my webcam makes 3 total so 3-4 switchable USB ports would be optimal

3) Don't need to do anything with audio

4) Can use standard magsafe charger if solution does not also involve thunderbolt charging

I would greatly appreciate any help finding a good solution for my setup. I'm sure there are articles or posts that I can't find with good solutions so if you happen to know of any please link me. I'd like to keep the solution as cheap as possible but if needed I can spend the money on a good solution. Thanks a ton guys!

If you can get two displayport outputs out of the Mac using Thunderbolt, Level1Techs makes the king of DisplayPort KVM's that should do it. 

https://store.level1techs.com/products/14-kvm-switch-dual-monitor-2computer

...if you're willing to pay

Much cheaper that might work is using the native HDMI port and then a Thunderbolt to HDMI output on the Mac to the HDMI inputs on the displays, then the PC using the DisplayPort inputs on the displays. A simple USB A-B switcher to move your keyboard and mouse between the computers. This would require you changing inputs on both displays.

Or you give up the idea of using the Mac with the monitors and just use Synergy to move your mouse and keyboard seamlessly between them. 

Might be other ways but frankly my brain wants to think about other things lol

ITX & Ultrawide Enthusiast

55 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

If you can get two displayport outputs out of the Mac using Thunderbolt, Level1Techs makes the king of DisplayPort KVM's that should do it. 

https://store.level1techs.com/products/14-kvm-switch-dual-monitor-2computer

...if you're willing to pay

Much cheaper that might work is using the native HDMI port and then a Thunderbolt to HDMI output on the Mac to the HDMI inputs on the displays, then the PC using the DisplayPort inputs on the displays. A simple USB A-B switcher to move your keyboard and mouse between the computers. This would require you changing inputs on both displays.

Or you give up the idea of using the Mac with the monitors and just use Synergy to move your mouse and keyboard seamlessly between them. 

Might be other ways but frankly my brain wants to think about other things lol

I appreciate the suggestions. The KVM is definitely out of budget, I think that's pretty overkill for what I'm trying to do. I def. might be able to get away with using the built-in hdmi and a thunderbold->dp for the monitors and do manual switching - I can give that a shot as it's a pretty cheap and easy solution.

Regarding the USB switching, I need a good solution for this. Are there any switches that are easy to recommend? I I'd have to go USBC from the macbook and either USB A or C from the PC to 2-4 USB A ports. My biggest concern is that I need a powered hub since I don't think a single port will supply enough for all my peripherals, and I'm also worried about latency when using with the PC. Would appreciate any suggestions.