Dell Poweredge T620 SSD upgrade

aaronf15

Hi,

I have a poweredge t620 I'm going to buy which is in a SAS config. I was wondering if its possible to install an SSD as the boot drive. How would I go about doing that? 

Thanks, Aaron

You can install a SAS or SATA SSD just like any other drive. SAS controllers can handle SATA drives.

You'll get mixed results from NVME adapters, though. I tried a 250 gig Optane SSD in a passive riser in an R720, it just threw PCIe slot errors and wouldn't POST.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

31 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You can install a SAS or SATA SSD just like any other drive. SAS controllers can handle SATA drives.

You'll get mixed results from NVME adapters, though. I tried a 250 gig Optane SSD in a passive riser in an R720, it just threw PCIe slot errors and wouldn't POST.

NVME adapters are a waste of time. I never managed to get one working without problems. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, m9x3mos said:

NVME adapters are a waste of time. I never managed to get one working without problems. 

I been rocking this for 3 years no issues, nice upgrade for Sandy, Ivy, and Haswell that don't have PCI 3.0 NVMe onboard. Make sure you're using up to date BIOS firmware.

http://sabrent.com/products/ec-pcie

1 hour ago, HBC Triage said:

I been rocking this for 3 years no issues, nice upgrade for Sandy, Ivy, and Haswell that don't have PCI 3.0 NVMe onboard. Make sure you're using up to date BIOS firmware.

http://sabrent.com/products/ec-pcie

Were you and to boot from it and it was stable? Mine was very flaky (using as cache drive) and I couldn't get it to boot from it (old workstation machine). Linus ran into it in his video about the cheap gaming computer too.

21 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Were you and to boot from it and it was stable? Mine was very flaky (using as cache drive) and I couldn't get it to boot from it (old workstation machine). Linus ran into it in his video about the cheap gaming computer too.

I've only used it in a 4790K and a 3770K i7, but both have been running very stable, unlike the built-in PCI-E 2.0 NVME that haswell motherboard came with. The builtin one use to BSOD almost daily. The Sabrent hasn't induced a BSOD and it's running the exact same OS that was BSOD on the builtin PCI-E 2.0.

Like I said, do you due diligence, update your BIOS, your PC has to support a few things. I have a third I can try in an older PC too.

4 hours ago, HBC Triage said:

I've only used it in a 4790K and a 3770K i7, but both have been running very stable, unlike the built-in PCI-E 2.0 NVME that haswell motherboard came with. The builtin one use to BSOD almost daily. The Sabrent hasn't induced a BSOD and it's running the exact same OS that was BSOD on the builtin PCI-E 2.0.

Like I said, do you due diligence, update your BIOS, your PC has to support a few things. I have a third I can try in an older PC too.

I'll have to give it a shot again. It was a while ago and might have been the card I am using. The machine I was using it in was a t7500 to give you an idea of the age I last tried it on. 

My home nas / vm host was converted to a 9900k. Better on power usage ironically. Drastically so at idle and less so on full use which happens rarely.