Jump to content

Internet throttling for one while wife and I game

EarlsBobby
 Share

Hello! I hoping someone could help me with a solution with my problems. We have Telus 1gb internet, with the stock rental units they provide. My wife and I both have pc's ive built with 1gb ethernet ports. This problem doesn't really happen if I start downloading first but if I she does anything that's not using chrome ie: discord, valorant etc... my downloads and overall internet speed on my pc tank to sub 1mb/s.     

 

When she isn't doing anything I will pull anywhere from 600mb/s to 900mb/s. 

 

At first glance I would assume I could change her driver setting to a half duplex but I don't want to really dumb down her speed, so my next option I thought would be to limit her available bandwidth but I can't figure out how to do that through the telus internet manager thing ( through the ip address) I've tried googling it and looking on youtube but cant seem to find a fix for my particular problem. 

 

Would i be better off going through the bios to see if i can limit the port speed to a custom value, or maybe I would be best off to go buy a new router that has more customization so i could monitor and customize how much bandwidth to each device. 

 

I should also add that we have another more different telus product in the office that is wires like so: the modem goes to router, router to other thing, and other thing to both our computer. 

 

TIA!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your connection for Bufferbloat. Use the speed test from dslreports.

If you have Bufferbloat, you should limit your upload and download speeds to lower than 90% of the download and upload speeds. The exact numbers you need to find with testing.

I am not allowed to have my PC specs in my signature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Check your connection for Bufferbloat. Use the speed test from dslreports.

If you have Bufferbloat, you should limit your upload and download speeds to lower than 90% of the download and upload speeds. The exact numbers you need to find with testing.

would i limit that in the bios or would i go to the control panel to limit that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, EarlsBobby said:

would i limit that in the bios or would i go to the control panel to limit that?

In the router. Or using something like NetLimiter.

I am not allowed to have my PC specs in my signature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EarlsBobby said:

Hello! I hoping someone could help me with a solution with my problems. We have Telus 1gb internet, with the stock rental units they provide. My wife and I both have pc's ive built with 1gb ethernet ports. This problem doesn't really happen if I start downloading first but if I she does anything that's not using chrome ie: discord, valorant etc... my downloads and overall internet speed on my pc tank to sub 1mb/s.     

 

When she isn't doing anything I will pull anywhere from 600mb/s to 900mb/s. 

 

At first glance I would assume I could change her driver setting to a half duplex but I don't want to really dumb down her speed, so my next option I thought would be to limit her available bandwidth but I can't figure out how to do that through the telus internet manager thing ( through the ip address) I've tried googling it and looking on youtube but cant seem to find a fix for my particular problem. 

 

Would i be better off going through the bios to see if i can limit the port speed to a custom value, or maybe I would be best off to go buy a new router that has more customization so i could monitor and customize how much bandwidth to each device. 

 

I should also add that we have another more different telus product in the office that is wires like so: the modem goes to router, router to other thing, and other thing to both our computer. 

 

TIA!!! 

Have you tried enabling QOS on the router?

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, DoctorNick said:

Have you tried enabling QOS on the router?

the rental wont allow me to change the QOS 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, 191x7 said:

In the router. Or using something like NetLimiter.

I cannot find any setting related to limiting it in the router, so far im leaning toward just getting a new router

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×