Big N' Cheap?

jasonditz

End User has a medical issue coming up and needt to "look down" for a period of time.Believes this would be more productive with a tablet to keep in that position.

Needs: Tablet would be used for web browsing, streaming video. EU's vision is compromised, so a bigger display is preferred.

goal is as big as we can get and "functional enough" without breaking the bank.

My first thought was a Kindle Fire HD 10"+ but it was objected to for being on the small side, and for poor reviews.

Someone may know whats out there better than me, though my suspicion is if I could've gotten a 15" Android tablet at a winning price I'd have found and gotten it years ago.

Please advise.

If size and price are the main concerns I'd suggest a convertible/2-in-1 Windows laptop over a tablet. HP's x360 line and Lenovo's Flex line are both great options. They're generally heavier than dedicated tablets and they don't run a mobile OS, but they're available up to 15.6 inches at much lower prices.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

2 hours ago, jasonditz said:

End User has a medical issue coming up and needt to "look down" for a period of time.Believes this would be more productive with a tablet to keep in that position.

Needs: Tablet would be used for web browsing, streaming video. EU's vision is compromised, so a bigger display is preferred.

goal is as big as we can get and "functional enough" without breaking the bank.

My first thought was a Kindle Fire HD 10"+ but it was objected to for being on the small side, and for poor reviews.

Someone may know whats out there better than me, though my suspicion is if I could've gotten a 15" Android tablet at a winning price I'd have found and gotten it years ago.

Please advise.

Tablets are pricey when it comes to Sq”.  It sounds like you want the largest cheapest thing you can find.  The use cases are potato though so older used would be the ticket.  Get too old with android and you aren’t secure though.  I don’t know if iPadOS has a sunset or not.  You’d want to look at basically the oldest thing that apple still does security updates for and then take the full size.  It’s that or the Samsung which is larger but android and because android has to be recent and because has to be recent not cheap.  There is the possibility of getting an android device old enough to root and then putting a different and still secure OS on it, that’s pretty hairy but it’s an option I guess.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

If size and price are the main concerns I'd suggest a convertible/2-in-1 Windows laptop over a tablet. HP's x360 line and Lenovo's Flex line are both great options. They're generally heavier than dedicated tablets and they don't run a mobile OS, but they're available up to 15.6 inches at much lower prices.

Non tablet OS is an advantage in this case I think.  Windows10 runs on a lot of stuff and it’s still secure.  For certain definitions of secure anyway. Use cases are potato so it basically doesn’t matter how old it is.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Lenovo Xiaoxin Pad Pro 2022 (aka Tab P11 Pro Gen 2)

11.2" OLED 120Hz 1536p

Mediatek Kompanio 1300T (actually impressive performance)

Android 12L

Check out some Youtube videos

Take note of the price and where you can order one. The export version is named as P11 Pro, costs a lot more but is actually the same thing

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Lenovo Xiaoxin Pad Pro 2022 (aka Tab P11 Pro Gen 2)

11.2" OLED 120Hz 1536p

Mediatek Kompanio 1300T (actually impressive performance)

Android 12L

Check out some Youtube videos

Take note of the price and where you can order one. The export version is named as P11 Pro, costs a lot more but is actually the same thing

Sounds really expensive.  The budget for this thing hasn’t been made clear though. Got 2 years to find an updating OS for it before it turns into a pumpkin.  Android makers really need to update their OSes for longer than they do.  

Occurs that if 3k is in range there’s this folding screen “laptop” that has the biggest screen of any portable.  And it’s amd64(x86) so you should be able to run multiple OSes on it.  Iirc it comes with win11 which is going to be as secure as windows is for a good while. There was an LTT video on the thing. Kinda cool looking.  It’s got way way more power than is needed.  You could do this stuff on a modern very low end celeron, but it’s got an i7 iirc.  There are $200 new laptops that could run that stuff.  If you want to go the other way, I’m seeing a 6700u 17” laptop with an ssd on eBay for well under $100 with a windows key(which you will likely need)  It’s kinda all the power you need for that.  Won’t do much else.

Edited by Bombastinator

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds really expensive...

Not expensive for what you are getting. Which Is why I said to look up youtube reviews and take note of the price 🙂

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The budget for this thing hasn’t been made clear though.

OP was considering a Kindle Fire and made no mention of Apple and Samsung tablets

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Got 2 years to find an updating OS for it before it turns into a pumpkin

Android devices do not lose any functonality when they stop receiving updates. For perspective, OP was considering the Kindle Fire and made no mention of updates being one of the reasons it was objected.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.