Absolutely Cannot get GPU to run at 100% utilization (RTX 3060)

FrostX

Go to solution Solved by Dukesilver27-,

A complete list of information would be great, like average FPS, CPU usage, GPU usage, along with the game.

Is the FPS higher when you game with 3060 than when you game with 1650?

If so, my guess would be the CPU can't push frames fast enough, old games have terrible utilization, the game might just not better suited for multi core CPUs, therefore rely heavily on single core performance. 

Hi guys,

I've just upgraded from a GTX 1650 to a RTX 3060, but it behaves extremely differently to my 1650.

Whenever I launch a game, both my CPU and RTX 3060 just want to sit there idling around half utilisation only pushing x amount of frames as they are physically not really doing anything. (on an uncapped frame limiter) I don't get any performance out of it.

Before when I used my 1650, it would push up to 100% utilisation thereby rendering the maximum possible frames. (without a bottleneck of course)

I'll add that now even if I max the graphics the framerate doesn't change but the GPU usage increases slightly 

I have searched high and low across the internet and for the life of me cannot find a solution on any similar threads.

I have a 450watt PSU (which I understand is below the requirement) but to eliminate low power being the cause I ran both furmark and it's accompanying cpu burner and both pull the correct ammount of watts and push up to 100% util.

What the hell could be causing this behaviour? 

--specs--

Intel Core i7-9700F (All power limits disabled, all cores 4.7, BCLCK 102.80mhz

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB (OC'd to 3500mhz)

RTX 3060 (Rebar Enabled)

Cooler Master 450watt 80plus bronze (not sure exact model)

Z390 Gaming X

Sound Blaster Z

Windows 10 LTSC 1809

--What I have tried/done--

ddu on the display drivers before I installed the RTX 3060

All power savings disabled Nvidia Control Panel - All setting set to high performance

Tried multiple games yielding the same result of lazy CPU and GPU utilization 

Tried disabling ReBar

Benchmarked both - both are performing as expected

Updated chipset drivers (one I don't have the software for (PCI Simple Communications Controller))

Any Input is very much appreciated and I'm not a newbie please feel free to add technical suggestions

What kind of fps are you getting? Is it the same constant locked at like 60?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

What kind of fps are you getting? Is it the same constant locked at like 60?

I don't have any frame limiter so it will usually differ between games. But the Lazy stuff stays the same

Any game sample along with FPS, CPU and GPU usage, CPU and GPU temps?

Also, Resizable bar could cause low GPU usage, for example FH 5 with my RX 6800 XT when rebar is on, my GPU can't even get to 70% utilization, if off, 100% all the time.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400 | GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC | Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI | RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: Team MP33 1TB | PSU: MSI MPG A850GF | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A |  Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB | OS: Windows 11 Pro | Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FpC7yK
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Any game sample along with FPS, CPU and GPU usage, CPU and GPU temps?

Also, Resizable bar could cause low GPU usage, for example FH 5 with my RX 6800 XT when rebar is on, my GPU can't even get to 70% utilization, if off, 100% all the time.

Paladins - GPU 39.C 1912MHZ 34%util 80watts // CPU 25% 54W 42.C

Rogue Company - GPU 44.C 43%util 1912MHZ 90.0W // CPU 41% 55W 45.C

You've gotta tell us what games and give us some data to work with. GPU utilization is something reported by the GPU, so it's quite black box and sometimes meaningless. I see high utilization in some games even if I have the frame limiter enabled to 60 fps, or say a third of the max capacity on my 3070 ti. 

Without knowing the games and fps, we can't really judge if you're having any significant issues. GPU utilization can be a worthless number.

Use HWinfo64 to check power consumption, clocks, and stuff of that sort. Ignore utilization.

2 minutes ago, FrostX said:

Paladins - GPU 39.C 1912MHZ 34%util 80watts // CPU 25% 54W 42.C

Rogue Company - GPU 44.C 43%util 1912MHZ 90.0W // CPU 41% 55W 45.C

Have you tried any triple A titles that can really push your components?

Those are rather light games, you game in 1080p right?  

Try AAA games, or try benchmarking with unigine heaven benchmark, could you reach 100% utilization on GPU?

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400 | GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC | Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI | RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: Team MP33 1TB | PSU: MSI MPG A850GF | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A |  Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB | OS: Windows 11 Pro | Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FpC7yK
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Just now, johnt said:

Have you tried any triple A titles that can really push your components?

No, I bought it to really push those games and to compliment the 280hz monitor I also bought.

Should I install cyberpunk and gauge some results there?

Just now, FrostX said:

No, I bought it to really push those games and to compliment the 280hz monitor I also bought.

Should I install cyberpunk and gauge some results there?

If you own it. I am looking at the data you provided and I am not seeing any max or average frame rates. Also what resolution you are trying to run at? I am trying to research the range of fps you should be expecting, but there's a lot of variables.

4 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Those are rather light games, you game in 1080p right?  

Try AAA games, or try benchmarking with unigine heaven benchmark, could you reach 100% utilization on GPU?

Yeah, it looks like unigine pushes it to 100% with identical core clocks.

I guess its an issue with those games then, which is a shame as I really wanted to push the frames on them

A complete list of information would be great, like average FPS, CPU usage, GPU usage, along with the game.

Is the FPS higher when you game with 3060 than when you game with 1650?

If so, my guess would be the CPU can't push frames fast enough, old games have terrible utilization, the game might just not better suited for multi core CPUs, therefore rely heavily on single core performance. 

3 minutes ago, FrostX said:

Yeah, it looks like unigine pushes it to 100% with identical core clocks.

I guess its an issue with those games then, which is a shame as I really wanted to push the frames on them

idk man I just saw a video with the 3060ti and the GPU utilization is around 50% and CPU is 25% and the user is getting 175fps. So I mean it's not unusual for these smaller games not to be fully optimized. I think your system is working normally. You can check whether the device is functioning if you have Cyberpunk if you own it. Nearly any game from Ubisoft or EA also pushes CPU/GPU to the limits.