First time builder, looking for feedback

Webhead1202

Budget (including currency): About $1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming and school-related tasks. Some of the most demanding games I would like to play are Jedi: Fallen Order, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and FIFA. I would also like to get into VR gaming if possible, specifically Star Wars Squadrons. As for school, I'm a new computer engineering major, so I'll be doing programming and other, similar tasks.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WZ2VC6
I already purchased the GPU, an MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT, for $600 (ignore the price on pcpartpicker) so that puts my actual price before tax at $1,523. I realize I'm already bound by the capabilities of that GPU, so if any of my desired uses are unrealistic that's fine. I already have a 1440p, 144hz monitor and a 4k, 120hz TV that I would like to play on. In particular, I would like to play those single player story games at 4k 60fps at relatively high settings, if possible, as well as some less demanding games at 1440p and higher frame rates. I also already have all the other peripherals I need for now.

I'm looking for general feedback on the rest of the parts here. My budget is flexible if spending a little bit more will net significant performance gains anywhere. I'd also like to cut out any unnecessary spending if any of the parts are overkill. I'd also specifically like to ask about the cooler, is it worth it for me to go for the AIO cooler, or would a cheaper tower cooler be sufficient? I appreciate any help!

You should wait some weeks and see if you can get a Ryzen 7000, else I'd go for a 12700K or 12700

In both case it'll be more expensive but more powerful

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

yes. Wait a bit and try to get a ryzen 7000. The ryzen 7 5800X is already a pretty good cpu.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

You should wait some weeks and see if you can get a Ryzen 7000, else I'd go for a 12700K or 12700

In both case it'll be more expensive but more powerful

I thought about waiting for 7000, but I kind of landed on it not being worth it. It'd be ~$150 more for just the CPU, plus the added cost of an AM5 motherboard and DDR5 memory. I'm sure the price to performance on those upgrades is pretty good, but it just seems like more than I need. How much better is the 12700k? Because that would also be ~$150 more, is it worth it?

I don't see waiting for 7000 being worth it other than a possible price drop for Zen3, which has no guarantee from the trends of the past year. Considering most of the Zen 4 boards are going to be pushing DDR5 and PCIe4 for better performance, I don't see the bang for the buck, and I certainly don't see it being necessary for a good while yet.

@Webhead1202I found an EVGA 2060 SC on Amazon cheaper than the 6800XT you mentioned, and the 2060 would perform better...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NXYT866?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I don't see waiting for 7000 being worth it other than a possible price drop for Zen3, which has no guarantee from the trends of the past year. Considering most of the Zen 4 boards are going to be pushing DDR5 and PCIe4 for better performance, I don't see the bang for the buck, and I certainly don't see it being necessary for a good while yet.

@Webhead1202I found an EVGA 2060 SC on Amazon cheaper than the 6800XT you mentioned, and the 2060 would perform better...

The 2060 outperforms the 6800XT? That doesn't seem right. 

12 minutes ago, Webhead1202 said:

The 2060 outperforms the 6800XT? That doesn't seem right. 

Maybe not in benchmarks, but it could be a better bang for the buck. At some point, you have to look at what you're getting for the extra money and whether it's worth it. When I built my rig six months ago, I went with an $850 3060ti, since 3080s were $1200-$1800. But it all comes down to your preference. But if you want better performance, the Asus KO RTX3060ti-8GB-OC I bought is now $500 on Amazon, which should definitely give that AMD a run for its money.

Truthfully, while I favor AMD for processors, I'm a set-it-and-forget-it type and tend to go with lower prospect of tinkering, hence I'm leery of AMD GPUs due to their history of driver issues, though I'm told that this isn't as much of an issue these days.

It's your rig, though. After all, you're the one that has to use it. 🙂

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info, added links

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

?????

Maybe not in benchmarks, but it could be a better bang for the buck. At some point, you have to look at what you're getting for the extra money and whether it's worth it. When I built my rig six months ago, I went with an $850 3060ti, since 3080s were $1200-$1800. But it all comes down to your preference. But if you want better performance, the Asus KO RTX3060ti-8GB-OC I bought is now $500 on Amazon, which should definitely give that AMD a run for its money.

What on Earth are you talking about? 

Did you miss the part where OP said they already bought the 6800xt for $600.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

?????

What on Earth are you talking about? 

Did you miss the part where OP said they already bought the 6800xt for $600.

No, I did not. I was just suggesting that they might get a bit more bang for their buck. I don't hassle others about their suggestions. Is there a reason I'm getting that?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

The 6800xt considerably outperforms the RTX 2060. 

OP already owns the 6800xt and it's not asking for advice on choosing a graphics card.

OP is intending on playing games at 4k, which the RTX 2060 isnt recommended for due to its lower performance and only 6GB VRAM.

The 6800XT outperforms the 3060ti by a considerable margin. OP only paid $600 for their 6800xt which isn't much more than the $500 the worse performing 3060ti costs. And again OP already owns the 6800xt and isn't asking for advice on what GPU to buy.

17 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

No, I did not. I was just suggesting that they might get a bit more bang for their buck. I don't hassle others about their suggestions. Is there a reason I'm getting that?

Because not only are you ignoring what the OP is asking for, ignoring what they said about already owning a graphics card, ignoring their use case for 1440p high refresh rate gaming and 4k gaming, you're also making ridiculous statements saying the "RTX 2060 would perform better [than the 6800xt]".

For their intended use case their current graphics card is suitable. There's no reason to recommend other products, especially when your recommendation was not suitable for their use case.

If you come in to threads and disregard what is being asked and spout off a bunch of bullshit of course people are going to question your suggestions.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

The 6800xt considerably outperforms the RTX 2060. 

OP already owns the 6800xt and it's not asking for advice on choosing a graphics card.

OP is intending on playing games at 4k, which the RTX 2060 isnt recommended for due to its lower performance and only 6GB VRAM.

Maybe so, but it's not WHAT is said, it's HOW it's said. I'll admit my info sources aren't necessarily the most reliable, and there are some things I may not be aware of. I'm merely making suggestions, if my info is bad, it's bad. There are plenty of people who actually flagrantly violate rules and Community Standards in far worse fashion, I hardly see it necessary to make a federal case of it. You don't see me calling out anyone I don't agree with, especially in such a condescending manner.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!