COD Modern warfare 2 - Watchdog Violation

Koen Peters

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

So this is me trying to help my friend who wants to play this new game in the beta. But let me start off by saying his laptop does not meet the minimum requirements.

While in game he does play at around 50 FPS, though. (With GPU about 98-100%)

Now while in a game, it just all freezes, and the blue screen (showing purple) will say: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

We went through windows event viewer and here we found 2 logs that seem helpful:
`De computer is opnieuw opgestart na een bugcontrole. De bugcontrole is 0x00000133 (0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0xfffff806424fb320, 0x0000000000000000). Er is een dump opgeslagen in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Rapport-id: 86268ba6-b987-477a-a5b9-5caf537f801b.`

`De SCEP-certificaatinschrijving voor WORKGROUP\DESKTOP-0K9NJU3$ via https://ifx-keyid-5c2920742179bc704db1d8c54c34ca94405617ca.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep is mislukt:`

SubmitDone
Submit(Request): Bad Request
{"Message":"Attest ation statement cannot be verified, rejecting requestthe . TPM firmware needs update.an "}
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 20:34:27 GMT
Content-Length: 101
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000;includeSubDomains
x-ms-request-id: 0c7e908f-b5c7-494f-b231-c9d326a8224a

Methode: POST(1672ms)
Fase: SubmitDone
Ongeldige aanvraag (400). 0x80190190 (-2145844848 HTTP_E_STATUS_BAD_REQUEST)`

Both are in dutch, but you all know those logs :).

We also checked the windows updater and the driver manager to see if anything is out of date, but they all report up to date.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or what information you need?

Thank you for reading!

According to the logs your friends computer does not meet the security requirements for the game. If it's an older laptop that doesn't even meet minimum specs then that's the first sign. The minimum requirements are there for a reason. It would also be helpful if we could get a model number and or spec list of their computer.

Main Desktop: CPU - i7-12700k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Deep Black 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

34 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

According to the logs your friends computer does not meet the security requirements for the game. If it's an older laptop that doesn't even meet minimum specs then that's the first sign. The minimum requirements are there for a reason. It would also be helpful if we could get a model number and or spec list of their computer.

The laptop is from january 2017, its my laptop that i gave to him.

Specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ 3,5GHz

16GB DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB

1000GB 2,5" HDD SATAIII

1TB samsung NVME SSD (which one exactly cant remember, put it in like a year ago)

The requirement it does not meet is the vram of the GPU. But i would say that if its running at 40-50 FPS it can handle it?

55 minutes ago, Koen Peters said:

The laptop is from january 2017, its my laptop that i gave to him.

Specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ 3,5GHz

16GB DDR3-1600MHz SODIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB

1000GB 2,5" HDD SATAIII

1TB samsung NVME SSD (which one exactly cant remember, put it in like a year ago)

The requirement it does not meet is the vram of the GPU. But i would say that if its running at 40-50 FPS it can handle it?

Hmm, 2GB of Vram for a title that requires 3GB may not cut it. The Watchdog error can be caused by many things including running out of Vram, and can cause the game to crash. You would think that if it hits 40-50fps it would be fine but it's more so about the available amount of Vram over the amount of FPS, if the game requires more than what the GPU can output it can crash or freeze. Watchdog violation can also be caused by outdated or incompatible drivers, most commonly the GPU drivers. With the 960m being EOL and not receiving game specific drivers anymore that could also be a contributing factor. 

With the amount of things that can cause the Watchdog Violation error, the things I would do to rule out software are as follows.

1A. Any and all driver/Windows updates including bios.

1B. Make sure that secure boot and TPM are up to date and enabled, they are updated when the bios is.

2. Make sure game is installed on SSD and not mechanical HDD.

3. If other options do not fix issues do an in-place Windows upgrade.

4. If step 3 does not work fresh install Windows entirely.

5. If step 4 does not work, the computer is not capable of running the game. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i7-12700k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Deep Black 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

21 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Hmm, 2GB of Vram for a title that requires 3GB may not cut it. The Watchdog error can be caused by many things including running out of Vram, and can cause the game to crash. You would think that if it hits 40-50fps it would be fine but it's more so about the available amount of Vram over the amount of FPS, if the game requires more than what the GPU can output it can crash or freeze. Watchdog violation can also be caused by outdated or incompatible drivers, most commonly the GPU drivers. With the 960m being EOL and not receiving game specific drivers anymore that could also be a contributing factor. 

With the amount of things that can cause the Watchdog Violation error, the things I would do to rule out software are as follows.

1A. Any and all driver/Windows updates including bios.

1B. Make sure that secure boot and TPM are up to date and enabled, they are updated when the bios is.

2. Make sure game is installed on SSD and not mechanical HDD.

3. If other options do not fix issues do an in-place Windows upgrade.

4. If step 3 does not work fresh install Windows entirely.

5. If step 4 does not work, the computer is not capable of running the game. 

Thank you for your information!

There were no updates to do, but the issue is that i also tried to update the BIOS but the motherboard is not from an manufacturer. As it reports as 
`Manufacturer: Notebook`

`Model: N15_RD,RD2`

Bus Specs.: PCI-Express 3.0`

The bios is from 2016 so i guess it will need an update. Current Bios: 1.05.15 American Megatrends INC.

Did a complete fresh install of windows on the SSD as it was still on the HDD. Am now installing the game again to see if the same issue is there.

Thank you for your time! If you know how to get the updated BIOS for this motherboard it would be appreciated!