[CANADA] Is there any phones on plans with no notch/punchhole, an sd card slot, and a headphone jack?

mrmonmon2

I just went through TELUS and Fido, can't seem to find anything.

Currently rocking a Galaxy s9 with a dying battery and just broke the glass last week after almost 3 years. I absolutely hate the bezelless design, with a case, you can't get all to way to the side when scrolling through a YT video for example, and without the case it's impossible to not crack the glass + holding it normally will randomly trigger touch responses.

I never thought I would say this but I miss my Iphone 3 and 4.

Any recommendations/deals?

I use a headphone jack often, I have over 50gb of music so SD card is needed, and I despise the punchholes and notches. 

I dont know what the carriers are offering in your country. If you cant find anything ideal, your best bet is probably a phone that has plastic body and headphone jack.

Plastic so that it dont shatter when dripped without a case

Or get a phone off contract

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You won't find a phone with restrictions that tight, especially from a carrier where they only carry a small selection of the current devices. 

If you HAVE to have all of those, cough up the money and buy a Sony Xperia or Asus Zenfone. 

Most phones will easily hold 50GB of music without expandable storage. If you're already plugging them in anyway maybe a dac/amp dongle would suit you better anyway. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 9/22/2022 at 3:31 PM, mrmonmon2 said:

I just went through TELUS and Fido, can't seem to find anything.

Currently rocking a Galaxy s9 with a dying battery and just broke the glass last week after almost 3 years. I absolutely hate the bezelless design, with a case, you can't get all to way to the side when scrolling through a YT video for example, and without the case it's impossible to not crack the glass + holding it normally will randomly trigger touch responses.

I never thought I would say this but I miss my Iphone 3 and 4.

Any recommendations/deals?

I use a headphone jack often, I have over 50gb of music so SD card is needed, and I despise the punchholes and notches. 

To add to what dizmo said:

Part of why you don't like the bezelless design is the particular implementation on the Galaxy S9. It's curved at the edges, so you're more likely to brush the screen without a case and to have trouble reaching the edge when there is a case. Flat-screen phones like the Galaxy S22/S22+ (not the Ultra), iPhone 14 series and regular Pixel 6 tend not to have these problems.

On storage: while bumping up to a comfortable level of storage isn't always cheap, it's not hard to get a phone with, say, 256GB of space that can easily hold your music and most everything else. The days of needing a microSD card to keep up with storage needs are largely over.

You're not going to have great options for your exact criteria if you need a phone bought through a Canadian carrier. Their selections tend to be pretty similar outside of a handful of low-end models. And I'll be honest: I don't want you to be That Guy who holds on to an old phone (or buys a mediocre phone) because he's waiting for the industry change that never comes.

Instead of resisting all change, learn to adapt to it. You don't have to be thrilled with a camera cutout or a headphone dongle, but they're really not the end of the world, either. Until I went wireless, I just left an adapter connected to my favourite earbuds; I've long stopped caring about the notch on my iPhone 13 Pro, or the holepunch cam on my Pixel 6. This doesn't mean you should simply take whatever the industry gives you... just realize that it's not worth punishing yourself in pursuit of the 'perfect' phone.

17 hours ago, dizmo said:

You won't find a phone with restrictions that tight, especially from a carrier where they only carry a small selection of the current devices. 

If you HAVE to have all of those, cough up the money and buy a Sony Xperia or Asus Zenfone. 

Most phones will easily hold 50GB of music without expandable storage. If you're already plugging them in anyway maybe a dac/amp dongle would suit you better anyway. 

Thank you for the recommendations!

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

To add to what dizmo said:

Part of why you don't like the bezelless design is the particular implementation on the Galaxy S9. It's curved at the edges, so you're more likely to brush the screen without a case and to have trouble reaching the edge when there is a case. Flat-screen phones like the Galaxy S22/S22+ (not the Ultra), iPhone 14 series and regular Pixel 6 tend not to have these problems.
This is what I was trying to say but was unable to articulate it. Thank you!

On storage: while bumping up to a comfortable level of storage isn't always cheap, it's not hard to get a phone with, say, 256GB of space that can easily hold your music and most everything else. The days of needing a microSD card to keep up with storage needs are largely over.

I'm of the mindset of redundancy having a 2nd storage option, also +128gb internal is $80+ from manufacturer, SD card is $25,  or $40 for a 256gb. The flexibility is absolutely something that adds to longevity of a device. Less wear on the device storage. And moving to a new phone becomes several hours of data transfer faster.

You're not going to have great options for your exact criteria if you need a phone bought through a Canadian carrier. Their selections tend to be pretty similar outside of a handful of low-end models. And I'll be honest: I don't want you to be That Guy who holds on to an old phone (or buys a mediocre phone) because he's waiting for the industry change that never comes.
I am open to some compromise, but at this rate I'll be picking up one of Dizmo's suggestions or possibly a last gen flagship if a carrier has it kicking around (also usually cheap as a bonus).

Instead of fighting change, learn to adapt to it. You don't have to be thrilled with a camera cutout or a headphone dongle, but they're really not the end of the world, either. Until I went wireless, I just left an adapter connected to my favourite earbuds; I've long stopped caring about the notch on my iPhone 13 Pro, or the holepunch cam on my Pixel 6. This doesn't mean you should simply take whatever the industry gives you... just realize that it's not worth punishing yourself in pursuit of the 'perfect' phone.

The inconvenience factor of a dongle alone is enough to avoid it. I work at my desk, being able to quickly switch from computer to phone by switching the jack on my headset is nice, having 2 headsets is too much hassle. I've tried it.
I can probably live with the notches and hole punches, but I would rather vote with my wallet and buy something that better matches my preferences. I don't see it as punishing myself, but rather trying to find a device that suits my needs.

Please see my reply in Blue & Bold above

25 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

I'm of the mindset of redundancy having a 2nd storage option, also +128gb internal is $80+ from manufacturer, SD card is $25,  or $40 for a 256gb. The flexibility is absolutely something that adds to longevity of a device. Less wear on the device storage. And moving to a new phone becomes several hours of data transfer faster.

Internal storage is pricier, true, but it's also faster and easier to manage. SD cards are great if you just have a gob of music or videos; they're lousy if you need that space for an app or game, particularly if it expands over time. Syncing didn't take very long for me with my iPhone 13 Pro last year, even with a mostly full 256GB on the outgoing phone, although it helps that I can just connect to the Music app on my Mac (iTunes on a PC) and grab everything in one go.

32 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

I am open to some compromise, but at this rate I'll be picking up one of Dizmo's suggestions or possibly a last gen flagship if a carrier has it kicking around (also usually cheap as a bonus).

The Xperia 5 IV and Zenfone 9 would be solid choices, I'll agree; they just won't be inexpensive!

33 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

The inconvenience factor of a dongle alone is enough to avoid it. I work at my desk, being able to quickly switch from computer to phone by switching the jack on my headset is nice, having 2 headsets is too much hassle. I've tried it.
I can probably live with the notches and hole punches, but I would rather vote with my wallet and buy something that better matches my preferences. I don't see it as punishing myself, but rather trying to find a device that suits my needs.

It wasn't that much more inconvenient to me... really! If I needed to switch devices, I just pulled the earbuds out of the adapter (still attached to the phone) and plugged them into my computer. With holepunch cams and notches, it's not so much tolerating them as that finding a good phone without either is tough. I appreciate that Apple at least leaned into the cutout by building a genuinely helpful software feature around it (the "Dynamic Island..." silly name, good idea).

On 10/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, Commodus said:

Internal storage is pricier, true, but it's also faster and easier to manage. SD cards are great if you just have a gob of music or videos; they're lousy if you need that space for an app or game, particularly if it expands over time. Syncing didn't take very long for me with my iPhone 13 Pro last year, even with a mostly full 256GB on the outgoing phone, although it helps that I can just connect to the Music app on my Mac (iTunes on a PC) and grab everything in one go.

All I mainly want the SD card is for Pictures, Music and Movies.
My music library expands by roughly 1GB a month as well.... (average) So I want the option to upgrade to a larger storage size if required. Also plug and play into the new phone is much more convenient .

The Xperia 5 IV and Zenfone 9 would be solid choices, I'll agree; they just won't be inexpensive!

I may have to just live with the punch holes and add the Samsung a13 and Moto G Power 2020 to my options list.

It wasn't that much more inconvenient to me... really! If I needed to switch devices, I just pulled the earbuds out of the adapter (still attached to the phone) and plugged them into my computer. With holepunch cams and notches, it's not so much tolerating them as that finding a good phone without either is tough. I appreciate that Apple at least leaned into the cutout by building a genuinely helpful software feature around it (the "Dynamic Island..." silly name, good idea).

the headphone jack is more so just, one more expense, 1 more thing to remember, 1 more thing to lose.
I'd rather not deal with an adapter. That mental space can be put to better use. (I mean, debateably hypocritical given the research lol)

As for making the screen itself a bezel. It's redundant in a bad way.... and lowers yields on screens Afaik. I think it's a stupid thing that increases the cost of our devices.

12 hours ago, mrmonmon2 said:

All I mainly want the SD card is for Pictures, Music and Movies.
My music library expands by roughly 1GB a month as well.... (average) So I want the option to upgrade to a larger storage size if required. Also plug and play into the new phone is much more convenient .

SD cards should work well enough for you, then. With that said, there are diminishing returns on removable storage. I know many folks for whom 256GB would be a bottomless pit; when we get to the point where 512GB is more affordable, I suspect removable storage will be a non-issue for considerably more people.

I'm not sure SD is necessarily more convenient. When I migrated to my current iPhone, I just told it to restore my latest backup, waited a short while and everything was there. Time is the only real problem — it takes longer (but not hours, in my experience) if you have a lot of content.

I may have to just live with the punch holes and add the Samsung a13 and Moto G Power 2020 to my options list.

I would...not really look at those devices. Samsung's low-end phones are pretty sluggish, and I'd rather spring for a newer Moto G Power (the 2022 model still has a 3.5mm jack) if given the choice.

the headphone jack is more so just, one more expense, 1 more thing to remember, 1 more thing to lose.
I'd rather not deal with an adapter. That mental space can be put to better use. (I mean, debateably hypocritical given the research lol)

As for making the screen itself a bezel. It's redundant in a bad way.... and lowers yields on screens Afaik. I think it's a stupid thing that increases the cost of our devices.

It is one more addition, but it's not some albatross around the neck, I'd say. When I was using a dongle I was usually just dimly aware it was present.

Cutouts and notches don't really impact yields or costs. Display manufacturers cut panels in rectangular shapes. You could argue that there's wasted material (though it may be recycled), but it's pretty telling that brands like Motorola and Samsung can still make very affordable devices with cutouts and notches in place. It's mainly technologies like depth sensors and 120Hz panels that hike display costs.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, Commodus said:

SD cards should work well enough for you, then. With that said, there are diminishing returns on removable storage. I know many folks for whom 256GB would be a bottomless pit; when we get to the point where 512GB is more affordable, I suspect removable storage will be a non-issue for considerably more people.

I'm not sure SD is necessarily more convenient. When I migrated to my current iPhone, I just told it to restore my latest backup, waited a short while and everything was there. Time is the only real problem — it takes longer (but not hours, in my experience) if you have a lot of content.

I have a fair amount of content 😄

I would...not really look at those devices. Samsung's low-end phones are pretty sluggish, and I'd rather spring for a newer Moto G Power (the 2022 model still has a 3.5mm jack) if given the choice.

I appreciate the feedback!

Cutouts and notches don't really impact yields or costs. Display manufacturers cut panels in rectangular shapes. You could argue that there's wasted material (though it may be recycled), but it's pretty telling that brands like Motorola and Samsung can still make very affordable devices with cutouts and notches in place. It's mainly technologies like depth sensors and 120Hz panels that hike display costs.

Huh, I thought cutouts would impact yields as more cuts = more room for errors due to increased modification. I guess I'm getting old and not able to keep up with the times