Even numbered generations of Nvidia GPU SUCK. Wait for the next series.

Uttamattamakin

I think now we have a pattern similar to the Windows pattern.   Even numbered generations of Nvidia GPU SUCK compared to the odd numbered generations.   For one reason or the other they offer incremental improvement but tend to have issues with power or heat that the odd numbered ones do not.  

• 1080  Great card, still viable and valuable. Try to find a professional Quadro card from this period in stock.
  • 2080 dogmeat 1080 level rasterization with essentially experimental RTX and coolers one slot thicker all around. (not THICC just thick).  One can still find in stock professional cards from this period.
  • 3080 Great card all the advantages of the 2080 with better rasterization and more mature RTX.  Two slot air cooled 3080's existed (I own one) Nvidia nuked them to preserve professional cards like the A series.   Which were very hard to find.
  • 4080 looks like dogmeat.  4080 16 gig is a real 4080.  4080 12 gig is a 4070.   Then even the real 16gig 4080 is HUGELY cut down from the 4090.  Furthermore unlike 30 series the professional version of the ADA lovelace is not even announced yet.   IN that environment two slot coolers are the max.  OH and all the coolers are 4 slot. So if you want to do literally anything else with your expansion slots forget about it.  

Furthermore consider the changes happening in the hardware space.  AMD's going to a new architecture, PCI E 5 and Thunderbolt 4 are starting to filter in in earnest.    IN short if you want to build a computer unless you have a dire need for a top tier computer just buy cheap lap top and bide your time for a year or two.  Build from well tested used parts.   Forget the 40 series. 

Buy it if you can and you are willing to have a GPU with a computer attached to it. 

Wait a while if you want a computer that has a GPU as an option. 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

10, 20, 30, and 40 are all even numbers.

I noticed that too.

By this logic, Nvidia hasn't been good since Maxwell and Kepler.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

10, 20, 30, and 40 are all even numbers. 

Yep, All recent generation are even numbers...

Anyway what i dislike the most is the fact that XX60 cards cost now $329 instead of $200 and XX50 cards cost $229 instead of $150.

The RTX 3050 has similar performance to my 3 years old overclocked GTX 1660 (assuming you have a PCI-E gen 4 motherboard + CPU).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I noticed that too.

Pfft, Maxwell was butts. Everybody knows only prime numbered Nvidia generations are good: 700-series Kepler (but not 600-series even though one was a refresh of the other), 500-series Fermi (but not 400-series) and 200/300-series Tesla. Clearly, Nvidia skipping straight from 10xx to 20xx robbed us of the chance for multiple amazing generations of GPU. If they keep incrementing by 10 each generation we'll never get good Nvidia cards again. They need to change it up and make the next generation the 41xx series to return to greatness. 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

Well technically, the 10 is even.  11 is odd.  And the 11 series sucked.  Also the 9 series sucked, imho.  And then Nvidia decided to start jumping by 10 every time, rather than give us the 12 series.  So I don't think I can come to the same conclusion as the OP.

21 minutes ago, emosun said:

idk I kinda want that 4080 though

Which one? The $1200 4080 or the $900 4070 4080?

The 4080 16GB I want to buy identifies as a 4060, and I expect NVidia to adjust the price accordingly.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

The 4080 16GB I want to buy identifies as a 4060, and I expect NVidia to adjust the price accordingly.

I doubt Nvidia is going to reduce 40 series prices, at least until the stock of 30 series cards are sold. The 4080 12GB would have be cut by at least $200 to make any sense in the product stack compared to the 4080 16GB considering the spec difference in Cuda cores, it seems like Nvidia priced these cards expecting people to pay shortage and mining boom level prices.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

it seems like Nvidia priced these cards expecting people to pay shortage and mining boom level prices.

Why shouldn't they?

If people will pay those prices because of shortages, why wouldn't they pay them because "We're Nvidia and this is how much we want to charge, fuck you"?

Whattya gonna do? Just not buy a new GPU? 

If people didn't want to pay "scalper prices" in perpetuity, then they shouldn't have bought from scalpers. 

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Why shouldn't they?

If people will pay those prices because of shortages, why wouldn't they pay them because "We're Nvidia and this is how much we want to charge, fuck you"?

If people didn't want to pay "scalper prices" in perpetuity, then they shouldn't have bought from scalpers. 

Many people sold their old cards for markup as well so the difference when buying a new scalped card tended to be small. This time that's not happening.

12 hours ago, Middcore said:

Pfft, Maxwell was butts. Everybody knows only prime numbered Nvidia generations are good:

so 10 is prime?

10 series was the last great GPU generation NVidia released.

20: "RTX tax"

30: ruined by mining and covid

40: ruined by NVidia pricing

Just look at the sad state the GPU market is in. Let's say you want to beat 2018: 200€ 8GB RX480/580/590.

NVidia doesn't have anything in this price range and AMD offers you the joke of RX6500

At the same time there was prograess in the CPU section:

2018: Ryzen 5 2600 (200€)

2022: Intel i3-12100F (120€)

The i3 isn't even close to the 5 2600 at a lower price point. That's progress.

15 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Why shouldn't they?

I mean it isn't too surprising, considering scalpers and miners have pretty much controlled and ruined the market, until mining crashed, miners are selling their 30 series cards for around half of what the scalper prices were before mining crashed.

But it still doesn't make sense this time as a new 30 series card can be bought for less than the cut down 4080 12GB, and apparently Nvidia doesn't announce pricing until new cards are announced at GTC, so the 40 series is f*ck you gamers and a slap to the face, especially to those that buy the midrange cards with nothing in the $200-300 range.

Those are all even numbers, but I get the point, the 10 series was the last good generation of gpu's from Nvidia, great price to performance, power consumption was much lower compared to newer cards, and most AIB cards looked good and weren't covered in silly RGB lights.

The 20 series was crap, anyone that fell for the marketing hype was buying into a beta of RTX, as the few games that supported RTX couldn't be ran with RTX on enough to be playable, the 2080Ti was $1,200 compared to the previous 1080Ti that lauched at $699.

The 30 series was a significant increase in performance, but pricing was ruined by shortages and mining, though since GPU mining crashed, I think the 30 series cards are a much better value than the 40 series if you don't always have to have the latest card.

The 40 series is crap in terms of pricing, but doesn't come as too much of a surprise as people still bought cards at scalper prices, and as Nvidia sold cards to miners.  The product stack is too separated with the 4080 12GB being $900, the real 4080 16GB being $1200.  I think the cut down 4080 getting close to the x80 Ti pricing is unacceptable, but people will buy Nvidia cards anyway.

I'm tired of the crap Nvidia is pulling, trying to blacklist reviewers for not reviewing the hardware how Nvidia wants, selling to miners, pricing hikes, and with EVGA out of the GPU market I'd rather give an AMD card a try.

LHR clearly didn't stop miners from fucking up the GPU market (or the electrical grid, or warming the planet).  So clearly the GPU makers weren't really that into stopping the artificial demand.

2 minutes ago, IPD said:

LHR clearly didn't stop miners from fucking up the GPU market (or the electrical grid, or warming the planet).  So clearly the GPU makers weren't really that into stopping the artificial demand.

LHR was a marketing stunt by Nvidia to make it look like they cared about gamers. 

3 hours ago, emosun said:

idk I kinda want that 4080 though

I would 100% go for that too.... oh wait, which one were we talking about? 😄 

The only stars that matter, are the ones you look at when you dream... ~ Keanu Reeves

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I noticed that too.

Har dee har Har. 

You know I meant the first number.  But can the underlying point be denied?  The 2xxx and 4xxx are more like experiments than real products. 

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Well technically, the 10 is even.  11 is odd.  And the 11 series sucked.  Also the 9 series sucked, imho.  And then Nvidia decided to start jumping by 10 every time, rather than give us the 12 series.  So I don't think I can come to the same conclusion as the OP.

Well if you want to go back let's go all the way back.   The very very 1st GPU way back in the early 2 thousands or late nineties was revolutionary.   

10 series was revolutionary: 20 series was evolutionary.

30 series revolutionary 40 series is more an evolved 30 series.  

Once you have 4 slot coolers you're in a position where Nvidia is gonna need to really innovate a more efficient GPU.  I refuse to believe that there is a hard physics based reason they couldn't.   It's just easier to run more power and slap more cooling on to the same warmed over breakfast and call that dinner. 

55 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

Change My Mind Meme |  9 and 10 series were the only good Nvidia GPUS | image tagged in memes,change my mind | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

In terms of the actual technology in them the 30 series was also good.   Availability was dog crap due to external forces.  We had a global natural disaster.  

The 9 series may have been good, but the 10 series was so much better.  Even now a 1080 or 1080 Ti will give someone respectable HD 1080p gaming experiences in AAA games.  Ray tracing, no.  Everything else yes.   9 series ... a current AMD APU might be able to outdo the 9 series.   

Soon AMD and Intel will have APU's that make discrete GPU's as we know them superfluous.  Especially if they keep getting so big and so hot you could bar b cue on them. 

3 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

Change My Mind Meme |  9 and 10 series were the only good Nvidia GPUS | image tagged in memes,change my mind | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Well the 9 series was really only overclocked 8 series.

And goddammit, the best evolutionary leap forward for any NVidia GPU ever cannot be anything but the Ti 4600.  If you were an avid PC gamer in 2002--you felt the earth shake.  That was the day 1600x1200 gaming at the highest settings was finally FPS viable. 

Pretty much each new series was good. SLi was good too when it worked 😄

Lol

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140/TY-143
Asus Strix B550-XE WiFi | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14
EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN850 1TB, SN750 1TB
EVGA 750w G+ | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB | Zalman ZM-MFC2