5 wire USB 2.0 USB-C?

Helpful Tech Witch

I have a iphone cable that the lightning connector was broken off of that im planning to use just to convert into a standard usbc->a cable to save myself like 15$, but i opened it up and its not what i expected.
there are 5 wires, and 4 of them I was expecting. There's a thicker Red and Black, which should be + and -
There is then 3 thinner wires, a green and a white, which should be data- and data+, but there is also a blue wire that i cant figure out. 
What is it? Should it work without that blue one?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=iphone+lightning+cable+pinout

https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+lightning+cable+pinout&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsYV_HUv1lavUfDo7ANRbRZDnrzVKQ:1663434593757&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6m8XgqJz6AhX8ADQIHaeuCwIQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2560&bih=1287

You should be able to find what you need or just literally google lightning to usb-c and probably get it too. It's not going to run at USB 3.0 speeds, and it's not going to be able to do anything other than basic power or should not do anything but basic power. If you're trying to use it to high power fast charge it's probably going to be a fire hazard.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=iphone+lightning+cable+pinout

https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+lightning+cable+pinout&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsYV_HUv1lavUfDo7ANRbRZDnrzVKQ:1663434593757&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6m8XgqJz6AhX8ADQIHaeuCwIQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2560&bih=1287

You should be able to find what you need or just literally google lightning to usb-c and probably get it too. It's not going to run at USB 3.0 speeds, and it's not going to be able to do anything other than basic power or should not do anything but basic power. If you're trying to use it to high power fast charge it's probably going to be a fire hazard.

this literally helps with nothing, im not trying to wire a lightning cable, im trying to wire a usbc to usba cable, as stated

7 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

to convert into a standard usbc->a cable to save myself like 15$,

all i was asking is what the 5th wire does, since i cant find anything on it.
I was assuming that its fine, since usbc with 2.0 speeds is just red, black, green, white, but i dont know for sure what it does

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

this literally helps with nothing, im not trying to wire a lightning cable, im trying to wire a usbc to usba cable, as stated

all i was asking is what the 5th wire does, since i cant find anything on it.
I was assuming that its fine, since usbc with 2.0 speeds is just red, black, green, white, but i dont know for sure what it does

Ok, so google USB-C pinout 🙃

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ok, so google USB-C pinout 🙃

image.png.56c8d391995189774713dd756d445d15.png

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

You're not wiring a USB A to C, you're trying to wire a Lightning cable with a USB C end on it but what you're really making is a fire hazard potentially. USB C cables have a chip in them that tells the device the cable capacity for power delivery, that chip is usually at the C end of a A to C cable if it has one. If you're on wrong side of that chip and wire it up and the C end tells a device it can supply more power than the wires you soldered to it you could start a fire or damage/melt the power adapter it's plugged into. USB C has 20 something pins in it, if you're only wiring up 4 or 5 then at best you're making a low speed 2.0 data and low power charge cable hopefully. Lightning has 8 pins and USB 2.0 speeds with some weird Apple fuckery for Lightning specific functions with docks/adapters like audio passthrough etc.

Are you talking about the shield wire??? I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you can't look some of this up yourself to figure out the shield wire you probably should not be messing with this as you'll likely start a fire or smoke the C port on the device you're plugging it into which is going to cost a lot more than the $15 cable you're trying to avoid buying. I'm all for makin stuff work but you gotta know what you're doing and know how to teach yourself some things.

You're not wiring a USB A to C, you're trying to wire a Lightning cable with a USB C end on it but what you're really making is a fire hazard potentially. USB C cables have a chip in them that tells the device the cable capacity for power delivery, that chip is usually at the C end of a A to C cable if it has one. If you're on wrong side of that chip and wire it up and the C end tells a device it can supply more power than the wires you soldered to it you could start a fire or damage/melt the power adapter it's plugged into. USB C has 20 something pins in it, if you're only wiring up 4 or 5 then at best you're making a low speed 2.0 data and low power charge cable hopefully. Lightning has 8 pins and USB 2.0 speeds with some weird Apple fuckery for Lightning specific functions with docks/adapters like audio passthrough etc.

Are you talking about the shield wire??? I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you can't look some of this up yourself to figure out the shield wire you probably should not be messing with this as you'll likely start a fire or smoke the C port on the device you're plugging it into which is going to cost a lot more than the $15 cable you're trying to avoid buying. I'm all for makin stuff work but you gotta know what you're doing and know how to teach yourself some things.

you realize that lightnight cables are literally just usb 2.0 cables wired to a lightnign connector
that connector can do other shit, but the charging cables are literally just usb2 cables with a lightning port on the end. Thats it, no apple fuckery there. And while were at it, the wires are the same gague, so that will be a non issue. 
But like i go to somewhere where i can ask what a wire does that i cant find in literally any pinout online, and i get someone whose just being a dick who assumes i didnt spend at least 5 minutes on google, and then goes on a whole rant about something thats just wrong. USB PD assumes 5 volts, and then does some firmware shit to decide what is the max voltage, if it cant figgure out a higher its just 5, so stop whatever fearmongering that was.

Also, thanks for assuming im stupid and didnt know that it would run at usb 2.0 speeds

12 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

ne, since usbc with 2.0 speeds

after i said this

Are you talking about the shield wire???

as fo this, I dont know, thats why im fucking asking. That was the whole point. In my expirence, shield wires aren't insulated, so I was just asking what the mystery blue insulated wire was. 

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Check what's happening on the 5th wire with an oscilloscope or consult with the manufacturer of the cable, 5 isn't a standard number. This is an ill advised project and there's a high chance you'll brick something. 

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Check what's happening on the 5th wire with an oscilloscope or consult with the manufacturer of the cable, 5 isn't a standard number. This is an ill advised project and there's a high chance you'll brick something. 

because you think i have an oscilloscope or that apple would tell me what it does?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

because you think i have an oscilloscope or that apple would tell me what it does?

Which is why this is probably a bad idea! 5 isn't a standard number for a lightning or USB 2.0 cable.

47 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Which is why this is probably a bad idea! 5 isn't a standard number for a lightning or USB 2.0 cable.

well.. it is for lightning, if its a apple cable

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

well.. it is for lightning, if its a apple cable

I don't think 5 is normal.

This teardown shows the expected 4, the shield wire would usually be uninsulated. I wouldn't try your hacked up cable on anything that's not disposable which probably defeats the purpose of making the cable in the first place. At minimum ohm out the wires to see what pins they connect to at the A side so you can at least confirm what goes to what sort of. I still think this is a bad idea.