Creating my own peltier cooler pillow, need some help

Spart0n

So my design is d5 pump connected to a water block and some kind of water bag for the pillow with 2 connectors and then I'm not sure which cooler would be best for most cooling potential... I'm just not sure what terms to search for other than peltier cooler pillow and there's not really any guides or designs. 

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

am i reading this right... are you trying to create a sub-ambient cooled pillow?

if i'm guessing correctly.. i'd make a 'pad' of zig-zag flexible rubber hose (you know, the opaque white stuff that's really floppy), and stuff that into the pillowcover or something.

now.. i wouldnt bother going peltier, the chances are pretty good that ambient air is notably below the temperature of the body that's touching the pillow, so you may as well just circulate trough a big radiator, or make some "evaporative cooling" fountain or something.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

am i reading this right... are you trying to create a sub-ambient cooled pillow?

if i'm guessing correctly.. i'd make a 'pad' of zig-zag flexible rubber hose (you know, the opaque white stuff that's really floppy), and stuff that into the pillowcover or something.

now.. i wouldnt bother going peltier, the chances are pretty good that ambient air is notably below the temperature of the body that's touching the pillow, so you may as well just circulate trough a big radiator, or make some "evaporative cooling" fountain or something.

I would absolutely love a sub ambient pillow, YES! I'm insane and I know it but I want to make this. So taking your advice, just get flexible rubber hose (I'm assuming very thin for temp transfer) and then connect that to a water block and d5 pump and cooler on the water block? 

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

On 9/17/2022 at 8:30 AM, manikyath said:

Alright I've got a list of parts for 2 different ideas. Sub ambient and just a radiator cooler

Here's my part list for both thus far

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/203NIJS6C4HKP?ref_=wl_share

I'm not sure on what kind of power supply to get though

Tempus Fugit

Peltiers easily draw an insane amount of current (while being super inefficient) so get a beefy ATX power supply.

The peltier cooler you linked draws up to 500W (what the hell), so even if you only use a single peltier cooler you need an ATX PS that can deliver more than 35 Amps on the 12V rail.

Its also going to produce much more heat than even a specced out RTX 3090 Ti or 3080 on max power draw.
With that radiator you're probably going to need server grade fans as well so its gonna be super loud when its running.

3 hours ago, Assimov said:

Peltiers easily draw an insane amount of current (while being super inefficient) so get a beefy ATX power supply.

The peltier cooler you linked draws up to 500W (what the hell), so even if you only use a single peltier cooler you need an ATX PS that can deliver more than 35 Amps on the 12V rail.

Its also going to produce much more heat than even a specced out RTX 3090 Ti or 3080 on max power draw.
With that radiator you're probably going to need server grade fans as well so its gonna be super loud when its running.

Or you set up a chain of peltier coolers so long it ends up outside in a very toasty shed 

• 4 months later...

Any Chance that you might have added a heat pipe or 2 to the hot side of the peltier cooler ???

as you might know the colder the hot side is the colder the cold side gets...maybe if 2 or 3 heat pipes gets slapped onto the hot side with a thermal pad or thermal paste it may be a possible viable option for passive cooling

Also have you by any chance tested the power draw on the peltier element?