Iphone 14 Pro Max right for someone like me?

Light-Yagami

Hello everyone,

2022 is the year that I decided to switch from Windows and Android to Apple ios/macos completely.

I've been a Windows user for the past 15 years and I've really only used the Samsung Galaxy S/Note line of phones since they came out, switching every 2-3 years or so.

I've grown increasingly frustrated over the fact that I have to meddle with Windows and android intensively in order to automate things, to get stuff to work together seamlessly (to get good battery on laptops etc).. to not have a baked in system that takes care of everything really well.

A new Apple phone is the first step, and I'll get one of their laptops as well later this year. I was thinking MacBook Pro 14, the base spec.. 

Since I have literally zero experience with the ecosystem, I was wondering weather you could tell me what to expect, what I have to be mindful of.. and so on.

I used to be a real power user, but the older I get, the more I just care about battery life on the go, system integration of quality of life stuff, automatic optimization for good battery performance..

I'd be very grateful if someone could point out anything useful, warn me of the ios/macos caveats, recommend what programs to use to get a better experience etc.

I know the new Iphone 14 Pro Max is merely a screen size and battery bump over the regular Pro, but I've been using the Note 10+ for the past 3 years and I've grown very accustomed to a big screen.

Thanks for all answer. Cheers 🙂

I personally think that an iPhone 11 is the best bang for your buck as of right now, unless you need a really good camera on a phone for 1000 or 1100 USD its not needed and if you want brand new the then get the 12 that"s my take on it

8 minutes ago, SpicyWheatPeppers said:

I personally think that an iPhone 11 is the best bang for your buck as of right now, unless you need a really good camera on a phone for 1000 or 1100 USD its not needed and if you want brand new the then get the 12 that"s my take on it

I know I know.. But I'm not buying a phone that's the same age as my current phone and besides, we have prices that aren't even comparable to US ones. This phone will cost me about $1750 for the 256GB model (after tax) 

And yes, I want the camera because I'm doing some traveling in a few weeks and my current camera frankly isn't even average anymore. If I'm already changing my complete setup, might as well buy something that'll last me and be supported for years to come, right? 

AltTab is a need for me on my M1 Air, and I think it's called Magnet (or something similar) and that snaps windows sort of like when you drag them to sides or corners on a Windows machine.

If you don't need need the latest camera and the Dynamic Island, the 13 Pro Max is essentially a 14 Max, could save a bit of money.

10 minutes ago, mike_seps said:

AltTab is a need for me on my M1 Air, and I think it's called Magnet (or something similar) and that snaps windows sort of like when you drag them to sides or corners on a Windows machine.

Yep, Magnet is the one, have it installed on all my Macs. I actually find it more useful than window's own snapping. 

If you're buying new and not too worried about price, I would get the 14 Pro Max, as it'll be supported for longer (typically 5 years or so, though some like the 6S only just got dropped after 7 years). If you don't want to hang on to a phone for quite that long, the 13 Pro Max is awesome. Battery life is already insanely good (you have to either run mobile games or do screen on stuff for over 12 hours to drop it to 20% in a single day) and the big screen is very nice + 120Hz feels really slick. I don't care for high refresh on PC monitors, but on a touch device it does make everything feel much smoother. 

For the laptop, is there a reason you're considering the 14" Pro over the M1 or M2 Air? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC (jank until UPS sorts my claim for mobo damage in shipping) - i9 7980XE @per-core-OC 4.2-4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/2x Noctua Redux P14s - EVGA X299 Dark - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - Nvidia 2060 Super FE w/GPU only 280mm loop - 1TB 970 Evo + 250GB 960 Evo + 1TB Crucial MX500 - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D Airflow - Windows 11

Proxmox Rig - i7 6950X - Noctua NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - Radeon PRO WX2100 - 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB WD Blue + 1TB WD SE - EVGA 1000W G3 - Fractal Design Node 804 - Proxmox 7.2

Rest of the HEDT collection - Xeon X5675/EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI - i7 4930K/EVGA X79 Dark - EVGA Super-Record 2 (not currently booting, need to sort that out eventually)

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: 2012 MacBook Pro 13" running Linux Mint - Mac Pro 1,1 (2x dual cores as I haven't swapped the quads in yet, 32GB DDR2 and a 512MB HD4870) running El Cap/Lion/sometimes other Mac OS X versions - iPod Video (5th gen)

42 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Yep, Magnet is the one, have it installed on all my Macs. I actually find it more useful than window's own snapping. 

If you're buying new and not too worried about price, I would get the 14 Pro Max, as it'll be supported for longer (typically 5 years or so, though some like the 6S only just got dropped after 7 years). If you don't want to hang on to a phone for quite that long, the 13 Pro Max is awesome. Battery life is already insanely good (you have to either run mobile games or do screen on stuff for over 12 hours to drop it to 20% in a single day) and the big screen is very nice + 120Hz feels really slick. I don't care for high refresh on PC monitors, but on a touch device it does make everything feel much smoother. 

For the laptop, is there a reason you're considering the 14" Pro over the M1 or M2 Air? 

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll make sure to keep it in mind.

I'll buy the new one for the camera system and because I don't like buying older products, especially since prices don't really fall off in my country and nothing is in stock anymore either. I've already reserved the 14 Pro Max and I plan on keeping it for at least 3-4 years, just like I did my Note. Better buy a bit overkill now and fall behind a bit later. I love the OLED and variable refresh rate, as well as very high touch pooling rate. It'll be quite the change coming from a 60hz refresh and pooling rate to 120hz screen and 240hz pooling rate. Looking forward to it. 

I think I'll like battery life the most. My girlfriend studies abroad and not having the option to use FaceTime with her but other more energy intensive alternatives is a chore. That'll be a nice bonus too.

As for the laptop - I'd like to have that MircoLED screen, as well as better speakers and a big more umpf under the hood. I'm coming from a maxed out Dell XPS 9700, so it'll already be a step down, but in general - battery life and screen. I also made a decision to stop gaming on the go since I have a pretty beefy desktop setup and if I don't even have the option to procrastinate while I were supposed to do work, it'll make it easier as well. My girlfriend has the new M2 Macbook Pro and while it's awesome and fast and very very good on battery, it's a 5yo design and as I said.. when I change setups every 3-5 years, I prefer to buy recent. I hope I'm taking the most optimal route. New Macbooks with M2 architecture arriving any time soon, have you any idea? 

Thanks for the info again

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

New Macbooks with M2 architecture arriving any time soon, have you any idea? 

MacBook Airs are out already, new design (not like the M1s that use the same chassis since the original retina refresh), coworker has one. Still no active cooling though, and I believe still an IPS panel as well. No idea when they'll bring out an M2 Max/Ultra, so yeah if you want the better screen and active cooling the current 14" is the best bet. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC (jank until UPS sorts my claim for mobo damage in shipping) - i9 7980XE @per-core-OC 4.2-4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/2x Noctua Redux P14s - EVGA X299 Dark - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - Nvidia 2060 Super FE w/GPU only 280mm loop - 1TB 970 Evo + 250GB 960 Evo + 1TB Crucial MX500 - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D Airflow - Windows 11

Proxmox Rig - i7 6950X - Noctua NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - Radeon PRO WX2100 - 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB WD Blue + 1TB WD SE - EVGA 1000W G3 - Fractal Design Node 804 - Proxmox 7.2

Rest of the HEDT collection - Xeon X5675/EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI - i7 4930K/EVGA X79 Dark - EVGA Super-Record 2 (not currently booting, need to sort that out eventually)

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: 2012 MacBook Pro 13" running Linux Mint - Mac Pro 1,1 (2x dual cores as I haven't swapped the quads in yet, 32GB DDR2 and a 512MB HD4870) running El Cap/Lion/sometimes other Mac OS X versions - iPod Video (5th gen)

The Max phones are nice. I think I may move to a 14 Pro Max. I am using a XS Max for the last 4 years, and the battery is still at 90%. My wife just wanted the SE2, and it's been 3 years and her battery is at 80% and is almost always plugged in now when she is home. Junk.

R7 5800X3D | Thermalright PA120SE White | NF-F12 3K
Asus Strix B550-XE | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3866C15
EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN850, SN750
EVGA 750w G+ | Fractal Torrent Compact | NF-A14 3K