macOS virtual machine running under GNU/Linux system?

purpose of running macOS: doing daily tasks such as office work, and organize photos and some light photo editing etc etc.

I wont be doing heavy loaded tasks such as video editing, coding and such. 

so my plan is to install xubuntu on the secondary hard drive on a laptop, and run macOS using vmware or other virtual machine software.

and my question is this, is SSD speed gonna effect the performance of virtual machine? how many gigabytes of RAM is suitable for this kind of workload? I do not have the extra money to buy a macbook, so I thought I'm just gonna buy a gaming laptop and run macOS inside VMware. Do you guys recommend Intel or AMD based system? for the secondary harddrive, what model should I get? (let's assume it is a NVME drive) also does photo editing require hardware acceleration? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

is it necessary to run macOS under linux based system?? I wanna run it inside ubuntu cos I thought xubuntu uses very little system resources when booted compare to windows 11. 

do you guys think that I should wait for next year's intel 13th gen CPU as well as rtx 40 series for this? when will the newest gen laptop come out though? 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

office work, and organize photos and some light photo editing etc etc.

All of which can be done with Linux, so what's the point of a virtual machine? Or rather, why even install Linux if you're not going to use it? Also be aware that in some countries it's illegal to install macOS in a virtual machine if you don't own a mac.

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

is SSD speed gonna effect the performance of virtual machine?

Yes

4 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

how many gigabytes of RAM is suitable for this kind of workload?

I'd say no less than 8 to dedicate to the virtual machine, xubuntu is pretty light so overall 12gb should be enough. I'd go for 32 though if you're not tight on your budget.

8 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Do you guys recommend Intel or AMD based system?

Irrelevant for running virtual machines, ask for a laptop recommendation in the dedicated section

https://linustechtips.com/forum/88-laptops-and-pre-built-systems/

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There's something called Sosumi that creates a macOS VM through QEMU very easily. Haven't tried it for actual productivity, just as a test and only for a short while, so I can't talk about its stability.

Number of cores and amount of RAM dedicated to the VM would affect how fast/well it runs, naturally. I had it running on an HDD only, so I don't know how much of a difference an SSD would make.

Github:

Some vids I found helpful:

Spoiler

This last vid mentions an alternative VM, as well as Sosumi.

4 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

There's something called Sosumi that creates a macOS VM through QEMU very easily. Haven't tried it for actual productivity, just as a test and only for a short while, so I can't talk about its stability.

Number of cores and amount of RAM dedicated to the VM would affect how fast/well it runs, naturally. I had it running on an HDD only, so I don't know how much of a difference an SSD would make.

Github:

Some vids I found helpful:

thanks for the info. I will look into it later. 

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

All of which can be done with Linux, so what's the point of a virtual machine? Or rather, why even install Linux if you're not going to use it? Also be aware that in some countries it's illegal to install macOS in a virtual machine if you don't own a mac.

Yes

I'd say no less than 8 to dedicate to the virtual machine, xubuntu is pretty light so overall 12gb should be enough. I'd go for 32 though if you're not tight on your budget.

Irrelevant for running virtual machines, ask for a laptop recommendation in the dedicated section

https://linustechtips.com/forum/88-laptops-and-pre-built-systems/

I'll use linux as well as macos plus windows as well. Otherwise I would have bought a macbook straight. I think I'll have to wait for next years model when it comes to laptop, the one I am using currently can barely handles office workload. LOL 

this is actually pretty easy (with vmware)

you need 3 things(and vmware ofc):

-vmware unlocker

-a macos recovery vmdk

-the vmware tools for macos iso

the first one   you can find here: paolo-projects/unlocker (use the lnx-...sh files to install)

the second one you can find here :

this wil get you a working vm, but a really slow and unworkable one... so you also need the vmwaretools-darwin iso to install on the vm.

depending on your disto they might be availeble in the package manager (on gentoo they are):

image.thumb.png.b560508ac3484ec49ee764b441621c77.png

or you can also download them from here: /com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar

or for the other ones: http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589/packages/

as a personal note:

I userd the High sierra one because i intended to install it later to bare metal using opencore (OpenCore.git)

and since i have a Nvidia GfxCard in my system and High Sierra is the latest verion of macos that has nvidia drivers for it ...

other than that there is no good reason not to install the latest: Big Sur i think

On 9/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, Herr.Hoefkens said:

as a personal note:

I userd the High sierra one because i intended to install it later to bare metal using opencore (OpenCore.git)

and since i have a Nvidia GfxCard in my system and High Sierra is the latest verion of macos that has nvidia drivers for it ...

other than that there is no good reason not to install the latest: Big Sur i think

wow thanks for the indepth explanation. this helps a lot. could you emplify this last part though... when you say you are preparing to install it using opencore, does it mean that you wanna build a hackintosh ??? 

yes and no , hackintosh is past tense , you can now just install the official version from apple on any PC, using opencore:

you can find a guide for it here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

the github for opencore is here : https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg

you will also need gibMacOS from github (this is needed to download the official ISO/DMG/Recoveries from the apple servers)

image.png.74c0ad9e980a9cb93f9fa9a2e4fd0919.png

wil result in :

image.png.c434d8a201d7bb61f52862c16e71021f.png

depending on the hardware you have you will also need different kext files ,(kext files are macOSX drivers) , but for the details on that check the first link in the post

ofc since there was never an osX version  that was build for AMD , results on intel cpu's and chipsets seem to be better

17 hours ago, Herr.Hoefkens said:

yes and no , hackintosh is past tense , you can now just install the official version from apple on any PC, using opencore:

you can find a guide for it here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

the github for opencore is here : https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg

you will also need gibMacOS from github (this is needed to download the official ISO/DMG/Recoveries from the apple servers)

image.png.74c0ad9e980a9cb93f9fa9a2e4fd0919.png

wil result in :

image.png.c434d8a201d7bb61f52862c16e71021f.png

depending on the hardware you have you will also need different kext files ,(kext files are macOSX drivers) , but for the details on that check the first link in the post

ofc since there was never an osX version  that was build for AMD , results on intel cpu's and chipsets seem to be better

thanks for the in depth explanation I will check it once I have time.

Mutahar from SomeOrdinaryGamers has done this several times and some good videos on the subject.

Spoiler

There are more on the subject but he goes through the basics in this video.