Project_R_Post_1 - Reusing Current Devices: The Nintendo Switch as the Ultimate Computer (Gen1/ HAC-001)

~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~

IMG20220912031332.thumb.jpg.5f4866c2f720d6f029328b1a6ad38023.jpg

~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~-=-~

Hello gents, gals, around-there pals, and uh idk.  Some dude on reddit I made mald?  ( Not to blag, it was rly funny if u were there )  Today I want to share with you my current project to show people a way to "De-Cycle" certain electronics and use them as everyday tools, appliances, or in this case, computers / consumer electronics.  Much more than just a games console.

Today I want to show yall what you can do with a pristine model HAC-001 nintendo switch, or even a ripped apart one you obnoxiously modded and have in the dock.  Either way, I have set up my switch to us as a linux machine for a few days while I worked on my pc and network. As a short test, I tried out chrome, file de/compression, photo rendering, emulators, and music conversion, my normal day to day tasks, and I am pleased to say it works.

Although, I tested L4T ubuntu 1804.  While I had all the settings I could want, even power limit un-restriction, the user experience was.... beta quality.  Though if you need the 1804 toolsets... well then whatever.  Today I am installing a new HorizonOS setup, linux, which will be what we will mostly be showcasing today, and android 10 at the end to see if we can get the AetherSX emulator to work.  I wanna play dothack on the pooper.

I can't seem to add a video file right now, but I will later.  Basically, I want to show what could be done with a console you don't play anymore, or a broken one you can use in the dock as a pc at college.  This is a simple personal project, but later Project_R posts will include reusing old routers, using older hardware as appliances, minimal-damage electronics recycling (climate wise), vehicle modifications, random ventures into modernization, and Q&A posts / Polls.

At some point, a bigger part of the project will start.  However that is for.... later...

Also Linus why the hell is it way cooler over here than at L1.  Your discord mods could use a little training, but that's my only complaint xD

Anyways.

What is 'De-Cycling'?

So I don't want to bring politics into this whatsoever.  People get political, I am solely considering scale.

As our recycle trade with China closes, we have been mowing to place industry back into America.  With this, we will see changes to not only economy and trade, but honestly the pollution of recycling itself.  While we are lead to beliewe that the good old Reduce Reuse Recycle is all we gotta do, I say we aren't doing enough.

There is an example that I think is easy to give.  While metal, glass, and pcb materials can be reused in many forms, ~plastic~ can only go so far.  At some point, the plastic becomes fleck, a form of waste, that can't be used for anything, as of yet.  This ends up burned, in landfills, or in some random place by accident.  Think literal sinking ships.

No bueno.

In the case of electronics, while there are filtration systems at some facilities, not all of them are outfitted for solder gasses, plastic or oil fumes, or whatever other gaseous noxious bleh you could get.  And while you can resell some tech, older tech gets over looked, or slightly damaged tech, maybe a switch with a damaged screen, gets ignored completely.  Fact is, people just don't know how to optimize.  And in some cases, its even easy, cheap, or free to do.  I hope to demonstrate how, and show how to do it yourself so you, too, can be a hacker.

But a traditional one :3

This is an intro post, and the posts below are reserved for future additions.  Any questions asked I will edit in below as a TLDR of sorts.

Thanks

Reserved Demo's, Images, Screenshots, Screenfetch's, Videos, and General OMG LOOK WHAT I DID LOL

Demo 1:  

Reserved Ubuntu L4T 20.04 Install and Setup

Reserved Daily Use Log with Timestamps

Thursday Sep 15, noon.

Every day I wake up, take my meds, check email, and watch some youtube.  The othel day I did the multi os setup nad will document it today or tomorrow.  As of now I am running ubu 2004, A10, and the newest version of HOS with PegaScale and Atmosphere and ulaunch.  I might need to redo my cfw though, and theres some extra notes I have for setting things up in order.  I want to write these posts off forum first nad be able to provide some sort of user experience report along with 'this is how my thing is setup'.

Will post the other sections today if I can.  I hawe all the images, I just want to nail down how I do these posts again.

Reserved Peripheral Recommendations / Mini Review

• 2 weeks later...

Gunna update this sometime today or tomorrow.  Been busy.