Discord Ban , where do i go for 'Appeal'?

Herr.Hoefkens

Okay where do i go with this :

I got permanently banned from the discord , due to :

image.png.dbc2c662b4fdd2f39602fd2c266f5cb1.png

(reupload:)

image.png.fcf52f6fbdf35f073fec3cf29a18f553.png

however im pretty sure someone had asked how to get rid of change the bootlogo on is android phone, (and he had already unlocked it)

my reply was:

look into : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.liveboot    , it wil defenetly be cooler then any bootlogo you wil find...

and i really do think that  (as i have used the app i recommended) that it is capable of replacing the bootanimation with the output of dmesg or the output of logcat...

anyway a permanent ban for that? and no place to appeal listed ... not to mention the comment bellow

"refrain  from this behavior in the future" future with a perm ban?

some of my past Warnings and Censored messages:

posting an invite to the official debian channel for someone who had a specific question on howto create .deb packages :

image.png.ade63a602bd04559e9c43cce3f3a6214.png

image.png.96813d06480bbe8aabad573aae6a496b.png

image.png.47072db0eb4b44c18d1fd5c6e219c048.png

on explaining why there was a maintenance/orphan problem with the newly included ntfs kernel module by paragon ...

image.png.0f5a5b2b1a560bc6a5a12a23b5e387bc.png

paragon is currently unavaileble since they are from ... a country

image.png.b0efaa37dfa53aa0ce02840cf969837e.png

anyway would be nice to contact some admin or mod  to sort this out but ... cant contact them from the discord since i no longer have access to the userlist of the discord ...

EDIT:

attempt to reupload screenshots : failed (spectacle wasnt configured to autosave screens when i took them yet)

so i made new ones  , hope these work 🙂

and some others that baffled my mind:

image.png.b27f0069d7a53db8fe409c9cf577654b.png

image.png.a21d2afcfd0e58a627968de849c0a239.png

image.png.6dd1c36e29bc09cb53076d94c74435a7.png

image.png.1031eccdcf4bad1d7f45de417eb35dd9.png

image.png.a9b3d0eee707ae3c57de1f4ddd092d19.png

image.png.bbe4f9b8b145d386c7c50ad1bf6d0b07.png

Edited by Herr.Hoefkens
EDIT: attempt to reupload screenshots : failed (spectacle wasnt configured to autosave screens when i took them yet) so i made new ones , hope these work :)

Short version is you can't.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

put it this way, we get a lot of people coming here asking how to get unbanned on discord, we usually direct them to the head admin/mod of the discord (who isn't on this forum) but i've never head of anyone actually getting unbanned. With how heavy handed they seem to be over there with doling out bans, i don't even know why some people want to stay in that server if they are a hair trigger away from being banned at any time (if you're telling us the truth about why you were banned).

The forum and Discord are completely separate with no crossover of moderators or admins

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 2:23 PM, Arika S said:

put it this way, we get a lot of people coming here asking how to get unbanned on discord, we usually direct them to the head admin/mod of the discord (who isn't on this forum) but i've never head of anyone actually getting unbanned. With how heavy handed they seem to be over there with doling out bans, i don't even know why some people want to stay in that server if they are a hair trigger away from being banned at any time (if you're telling us the truth about why you were banned).

The forum and Discord are completely separate with no crossover of moderators or admins

I was mainly active in the linux channel with sometimes a post in dev and helpdesk,...

Even if after a long while allot of the issues are recurring , and many are just due to a lack of willing to search the answer but rather want the solution handed to them, some times intresting problems get asked , figuring those out is always a nice excersise , aswell as helping linux starters, or even more advanced linux users allong with not so well  known tips and or tricks  is a fun thing to do when i need a break. and sometimes just rant on how ideotic some system is or how wrong certain widespread "ideas" and misconseptions are is also fun...

there was recently a guy that switched distro's  from i think red hat to , my favo distro, gentoo , and sharing some hard accuired knowledge , i wish i had known ages ago , tends to be received with much appreciation from time to time

The links in the opening post don't look quite right.
1949871476_Weirdlookinglinks.thumb.png.faf6746a6dc8cb8580a7599df40a0af1.png

I've never seen a link to a pic appear with a line beneath it looking like it's comprised of dashes and a few dots instead of a solid line as it should be.
What's up with that?

Anyway, as said you won't get any relief here - No one here has the power to undo anything over there, the exception being IF one of the LTT discord channel staff members happens to be a member here and I'm not aware of any that are.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

The links in the opening post don't look quite right.
1949871476_Weirdlookinglinks.thumb.png.faf6746a6dc8cb8580a7599df40a0af1.png

I've never seen a link to a pic appear with a line beneath it looking like it's comprised of dashes and a few dots instead of a solid line as it should be.
What's up with that?

Anyway, as said you won't get any relief here - No one here has the power to undo anything over there, the exception being IF one of the LTT discord channel staff members happens to be a member here and I'm not aware of any that are.

Looking at the actual URLs for those links, they do look like actual Linustechtips.com forum pages. Though, they come back as 404 so looks like whatever it was referencing has since been deleted.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 9/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Looking at the actual URLs for those links, they do look like actual Linustechtips.com forum pages. Though, they come back as 404 so looks like whatever it was referencing has since been deleted.

it wasnt me wo deleted those images ,and as far as i know i havent had any notifications for the deletion of them by an admin , they were just screenshots i took from my discord window. Im currently at my Volunteer Teaching job but, when back home i'll check to see if i can re-upload those screenshots

On 9/24/2022 at 1:18 AM, Herr.Hoefkens said:

Even if after a long while allot of the issues are recurring , and many are just due to a lack of willing to search the answer but rather want the solution handed to them

Welcome to peer-to-peer Internet tech support.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I am wondering about being unbanned from LTT discord.  My issue is that my discord account was compromised and they spammed many servers with their spam for joining there server.  I didn't find out being banned until the next day.  So I am wondering if there is anybody to talk to about this issue?

1 hour ago, Namless said:

I am wondering about being unbanned from LTT discord.  My issue is that my discord account was compromised and they spammed many servers with their spam for joining there server.  I didn't find out being banned until the next day.  So I am wondering if there is anybody to talk to about this issue?

Not here. You would have to get in touch with one of the Discord mods personally. Even then you probably won't get unbanned. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 9/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, Namless said:

If you are certain your account has been secured, send me a dm with your user ID. I can look into it.  

Even if the persons that moderate the discord don't frequent the forum, I assume , they have like a point of contact somewhere , like a public E-Mail, a Public Profile somewhere, or a Public Discord Account  (by public i mean one that is not their personal and is linked to their function as moderator as i dont mean to intrude into their personal space ) 

3 hours ago, Langley_Man said:

If you are certain your account has been secured, send me a dm with your user ID. I can look into it.  

that messag was a quote from a different thread, my account is still secure as far as i know.

but if its okay for you I'll dm you with my Discord UserID aswell

thnx

22 hours ago, Herr.Hoefkens said:

Even if the persons that moderate the discord don't frequent the forum, I assume , they have like a point of contact somewhere , like a public E-Mail, a Public Profile somewhere, or a Public Discord Account  (by public i mean one that is not their personal and is linked to their function as moderator as i dont mean to intrude into their personal space ) 

As of right now there is no official appeal system. 

Holy hell, I can see the logic in some of those automated rules, if im squinting, but even then, they are just very poorly set up in all of those cases. If they dont want to moderate a discord server, then they probably just shouldn't as the automated warnings/filters are just abusive and way to heavy handed at a certain point. 

Got banned from my account being compromised by phishing attack, and it spamming all dms and servers I was in. Contacted Momo but they just said that no appeal system has been created and we just have to be patient and wait for them to create an appeal system. Though in my opinion their bot is very heavy handed with the ban hammer, but if its a compromised account with a bot surely just kicking the compromised account would be enough. And that if its a simple misunderstanding and your account as been secured surely you should be let back in even with restrictions on where you can talk for the first few weeks or so.

20 hours ago, FeintCobra said:

Got banned from my account being compromised by phishing attack, and it spamming all dms and servers I was in. Contacted Momo but they just said that no appeal system has been created and we just have to be patient and wait for them to create an appeal system. Though in my opinion their bot is very heavy handed with the ban hammer, but if its a compromised account with a bot surely just kicking the compromised account would be enough. And that if its a simple misunderstanding and your account as been secured surely you should be let back in even with restrictions on where you can talk for the first few weeks or so.

If that is what he said , im afraid they arent even planning to implement  an appeal system ever ... imho. because if there was one being made or atleast discuttion about it , they would have modrated the LMG Warships 's agressiveness so for the time being maybe a 'semi' insult in swahili would get past once and a while , so and the 'insulted' one would have had to inform a mod in person, until the appeal system was ready to be beta-tested, but what they actually did was  adding half thee english dictionary to the blacklist , without even removing common typo's from other words , nor did they remove the words that have a naughty part in them as a sequence of letters, while its meaning is unrelated ...  and then they Created a Second Bot (Warship) to even enforce thos rules stricter .

When i was Explaining why the NTFS3 driver that only had been added to the mainline kernel source tree two months earlier, with a Developer that had Promised to be a good Teamplayer. and an Approachable , active one. , and Suddenly their project gets status orphaned , left allot of people with questions. But the answer was actually really simple, the reason for Paragon (the developers of NTFS3)  to go awol all of a sudden is because its a  Russian Company and due to the war , their internet was no longer linked to ours,.. resulting in a communication and a logistics problem for the driver and kernel team.,

the message i wrote dissapeared as soon as i hit enter , if you actually go cheeck what the bot is complaining about (you cant recover what you wrote) if you stay in the channel you can recoover your work with up arroow or ctrl-z , was a long text , and  i just decided to instantly repost but only the first half and keeping the second half in my clipboard , after checking the text for accidentally typed  blacklist words (wich you can only guess as there is no place to see what is actually on that list and what not )and dissapeard again as soon as i hit enter , I really was baffeled when i saw what word triggered it ,

literally the  word `Russia` , the name of a freaking country , that is printed on very world map  and gets trown at you by newscrew and politicians a thousend times a day. 

but you say maybe its not meant to ban the word , but to stop people from going offtopic and discussing the war on a Tech server , Then i can only say 🤦‍♂️ Russia Is present in basicly Every war game , 50% of malware originates in russia,  But so do some of the best Low Level Repair Tools like ( https://hdd.by/victoria/) whats next banning the words 'microsoft' or 'Windows' to keep people from discussing why Melinda Gates packed her stuff and left her husband the verry second she herd of her husbands not so legal hobby..

banning a word for that purpose is clearly the worst solution you can come up with, because when can you reintroduce it ? if it isnt really a bad word , if you ban the words permanently the chat will be seriously handicapped in no time at all, so if you actually have to temporary delegate some powers to some regulars in each channel so thy can mute people that aree starting a war discussion  for half an hour , my guess is that aftr 14 days the urge to start that discuttion is non existent in even the most hardheaded people.

anyways i got around the 'russia' -blacklist thing thanks to this really  controversial  (due to historical acuracy) ,movie that got released around the same time and that i just had watched. so thanks to "the Northmen" , Paragon Is a Software company located in the land of the Rus , wich wasnt blacklisted :), im actually really curious for how they have dealth with or will be dealing with , the thing that is now boiling peoples minds ,... the disney live action remake of the little mermaid ,... not that i care about that , but i really wanna see how and what they do with the Chinese version of that movie 🙂 wich is actually a strong display of technical ability (doing 'healty' satin like female skin in CGI without making it  look like its plastic is really hard (look at the hulk , (male rough easy to cgi) vs shehulk , (female ,soft , looks like plastic , becausee not that easy) ) and that for a whole movie  on the lead charactr, and actually making it look not plastic but actual skin ,really impressiv , but what they actually did might be not that cooshjer , if only they had made her a han chinese instead , some peoples brains might have survived trying to understand)

On 9/30/2022 at 4:17 AM, Langley_Man said:

As of right now there is no official appeal system. 

not to be a complete d*** here, and the following is just as an example:

but what if i want to GDPR my contributions?

either for complete removal or at least get a copy of all of my messages and messages i was quoted in ?

not that im that kind of person , but one may never know what politics decide to hold people accountable for , seeing what happenend with people getting cancelled for something they wrote in 500 B.C. on twitter, its not that far of a strech to think that someone would atleast want access to the actual data or message written at the time , since getting stuff out of context is pretty easely done and pretty common, or if one would want to atleast cover his tracks that stuff he has been banned of using and forgot about cant come back to bite him in the a** 20years later

And this is why I've said multiple times, that @CPotter@LinusTech should ditch the Discord, take their name off it and stop advertising it on WAN.

If it's run this poorly, and no one at LMG, or even just staff on this forum, is involved in it, then why is it advertised as an LMG Discord?

11 hours ago, Herr.Hoefkens said:

not to be a complete d*** here, and the following is just as an example:

but what if i want to GDPR my contributions?

either for complete removal or at least get a copy of all of my messages and messages i was quoted in ?

not that im that kind of person , but one may never know what politics decide to hold people accountable for , seeing what happenend with people getting cancelled for something they wrote in 500 B.C. on twitter, its not that far of a strech to think that someone would atleast want access to the actual data or message written at the time , since getting stuff out of context is pretty easely done and pretty common, or if one would want to atleast cover his tracks that stuff he has been banned of using and forgot about cant come back to bite him in the a** 20years later

That's a problem for Discord itself, not the people operating the server. It's outlined in Discord's privacy policy and if they're not compliant with GDPR, you'll have to take it up with them. So a lacking appeal process has nothing to do with GDPR.

Anyway, I do have to wonder why so many people want to be part of a Discord server that by all accounts is terribly moderated and only frequented by unpleasant people.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, Arika S said:

I got banned for saying poop

• 3 weeks later...

or at the verry least the mods should have a contact point that is reachable from outside the discord server.

and they should also considder that (since my phonenr was amongst the lucky ones to get passed out in the free sample you could get from the sellers of the latest whatsapp hack), that phone numbers get recycled, so when my new sim arrives , in a short while someone else might find out that his new phone number is blocked on ltt discord when that person tries to join....

thinking of it i wonder...

if they blocked my account + phonenr , or just the phonenumber.

i could try with my producer account and the new number in a few days :), but if its phonenr only i could just change that on my regular account

aside from that discord is quickly becomming a sh*tshow imho:

their TOS is against the law. wich is a first ever think (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32022R1925)

i have had a short discussion on this topic , and found out that the logical 'solution' servers come up with , makes a fatal error

they choose to follow the TOS arguing that if certain content would be legal in some country but prohibited by the TOS thereby breaking the law in that they cant be asked to vet for the origin of certain accounts and only show and allow that content for that specific country, so the TOS gets applied to everyone wich seems safest and most fair...

however... that analogy is wrong , if the TOS would allow for Explicit Underage content, while the law of a certain country forbids it ,and they would go okay its allowed on our servers because of the TOS... that would be breaking the law actually whilee the former is extending the law not breaking it

ps the law i linked to is the european law that mandates that 3party clients should be allowed and that protocols should be open. (of wich has been signed and published in the mean time: https://oeil.secure.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/popups/ficheprocedure.do?lang=en&reference=2020/0374(COD))

but try posting a screen shot on any of the popular tech discord (including the ltt one, if one has still access and see who's breaking EU law: image.thumb.png.f53e8ddad8b3eca62a60cc7864511acc.png

42 minutes ago, Herr.Hoefkens said:

aside from that discord is quickly becomming a sh*tshow imho:

When was it not?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I managed to get banned about 3 years ago for sending a meme in general, no warning, tried to appeal 3 times. I was in the server for about 1 day 3 hours, and poof, gone.