Secure Boot won't let me change my OS

-Blue-
Go to solution Solved by duncannah,

Yep, you'll need to set a supervisor password to change it, was the case for my Acer laptop.

So I have some cheap Asus netbook style laptop. I more or less use it as a internet device. Unfortunately it has Windows 11 and I am looking to put my favorite Linux OS on it. However everytime I try to use the flash drive as the boot device I get a Secure Boot Failure screen. I can't seem to change it in the BIOS. Has anyone else run into this?

PXL_20220908_021002131_MP.jpg

PXL_20220908_021159090.jpg

As C2dan88 says, change Secure Boot to Disabled.

It looks like an ASUS I did a Linux installation on recently, the Power On switch in the keyboard area instead of anywhere else. Take care not to hit it when you want a Backspace or Delete. If it had been mine I'd probably have put a half cover over the power ON switch.

Secure boot is working as intended. You need to disable it to boot linux, install the distro and if the distro supports it you can reanble secureboot afterwards.

Yep, you'll need to set a supervisor password to change it, was the case for my Acer laptop.

🙂

Supervisor Password - my suggestion, done it before, make it 1234 then do the action needed (Disable Secure Boot) and then delete the password as some actions don't need a password and it is just a nuisance if the BIOS needs to be worked on later, especially by someone else.