Get an iPhone 14 or literally die.

AlexTheGreatish
1 hour ago, aselwyn1 said:

the North American phones not having a sim slot is just wrong. Canada and Mexican iPhone 14's both as per the apple website will have a physical Nano sim slot.  along with the only 2 esim thing while you can only have 2 active at a time you can have a bunch more inactive sitting in a list for you to turn back on in the settings 🤦‍♂️

Okay this was something that I was really suprised when they said in the video since all the news sources which I saw that posted as things came up were like USA phones don't have a physical nano slot, rather then NA as a whole.

1 hour ago, rkv_2401 said:

but Apple's implementation of an always-on display is not at all something I am impressed by.

If I were in the market for a new phone (I'm not), and I ended up with one with an always-on display, I'd be looking to turn that feature off immediately.  If I'm not looking at my phone, I don't want it using battery (however little battery it uses) to display stuff to nobody.

2 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

eSIM has a design flaw that I still have not seen addressed.  If you turn on 2-factor SMS authentication for your account, then have to replace your phone, you can not set it up again.  You can't activate the e-sim without logging into your account, and you can't log into your account without activating the eSim to get a text message.  Apple's iMessage (if you have another apple device) and google's messanger web app (if you have Google Fi service) both work around this to an extent, but there's still a large portion of users that would be locked out of their new phone.  The only way to avoid this issue is to turn off 2-factor authentication on your account.  

it's definitely annoying how many services have the 2FA be SMS when it's considered one of the worse MFAs last I recall.

4 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

eSIM has a design flaw that I still have not seen addressed.  If you turn on 2-factor SMS authentication for your account, then have to replace your phone, you can not set it up again.  You can't activate the e-sim without logging into your account, and you can't log into your account without activating the eSim to get a text message.  Apple's iMessage (if you have another apple device) and google's messanger web app (if you have Google Fi service) both work around this to an extent, but there's still a large portion of users that would be locked out of their new phone.  The only way to avoid this issue is to turn off 2-factor authentication on your account.  

This does also happen when using standard sim cards with Microsoft InTune enrolled iOS and Android devices.

We get around this by disabling 2FA on Azure for specific user accounts. 

6 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

BTW Mrwhosetheboss (who has less subscribers) also made a video on this launch and he has 4x as many views despite it not being clickbait in any way.

I'm also curious whether this will be another skipped upload slot (after the Ryzen 7000 launch video).

16 hours ago, Shimejii said:

The flop year for phones ends. S22 Ultra was a pretty big flop, and this will probably also flop decently hard since its really just such a marginal difference. Hopefully this only happens this year for phone tech, but weve been at the leveling off for phones for a few years so  im not sure where they will actually improve besides just marginal changes here and there, with some gimmick features. 

I bought the new S22 right away without looking at any specs and was very disappointed in it. I no longer have a SD slot, that alone makes the phone feel like a downgrade to my s20. This upgrade was a waste of money and I could have just continued to use my s20 instead. Hope phones sell less these year so phone makers are encouraged to improve more.

8 minutes ago, iLikeBananas said:

I bought the new S22 right away without looking at any specs and was very disappointed in it. I no longer have a SD slot, that alone makes the phone feel like a downgrade to my s20. This upgrade was a waste of money and I could have just continued to use my s20 instead. Hope phones sell less these year so phone makers are encouraged to improve more.

Still using my note 9 (Has the Green screen defect which samsung refuses to acknowledge is their fault) Cause most new phones dont have headphone jacks, and the bigger storage options are so dumb price wise. 512GB costs 50$ yet they charge like 250$ for it which is just dumb. If the 512GB phones werent overpriced, i wouldnt mind the removal of the expandable SD card slot. Since transfer of files can be fast using USB C, oh wait iphone doesnt use it and uses a much slower standard 🙂

18 hours ago, hishnash said:

one simple key factor here is the display controler no the SOC. Apple have been doing a lot of custom work within their display controllers, things like final stage compositing and anti-aliasing for screen cutouts like the notch and now the `dynamic island`.   I would not be surprised at all if they have moved even more of this to the display controller, due to how the widgets apis work the CPU and GPU could wake up and pre-render the needed assets for all the parts of the lockstreen for the next few minutes and the display controller can cache these in its own on die local cache so for the rest of the minute or 2 the rest of the entire SOC can be completely asleep doing nothing and the display controller can composite in the bits of the Lock Screen that need to be updated for each frame every second. 

This is the hardware and software integrate at its peak and what makes me very hopeful for apple AR/VR product with respect to things like input/headtrakcing/eytracking latency. 

The android approach for a long time has been to just throw 32GB of ram and 64 cores at the thing and hope it performs better than iPhone.

Narrator: it doesn't.

(side rant: I have an android tablet on my desk right now that is the epitome of "fuck android".  2 years old, sitting on my desk acting as a weather station.  Never updated, never really used much: now it crashes all the time and is generally slow as shit.  Android is so bad it commits suicide on its own like Windows 98 used to.)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The android approach for a long time has been to just throw 32GB of ram and 64 cores at the thing and hope it performs better than iPhone.

well the issue with that approach is power draw!  and I suppose you see that with the capacity of android phone batteries sometimes in raw W/h being unto 2x that of apples and yet the products having sometimes worse real world battery life.   But it takes a lot smaller R&D budget and a lot less risk to just put a large battery and turn up the specs to 11 than it does to really go in there and work closely on chip designs with your software teams that will not ship for 5+ years into the future.

You North American people need to simply come out of your caves and from under your rocks. eSIM has been a thing in the world for quite some time and in many countries has much better support rate on major carries than the US/NA. Especially because nowadayas you can buy up your eSIMs in advance to make sure you never end up without internet abroad.

Some sites I recommend:

This very useful list for all phone brands that support eSIM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

Two large international eSIM providers: https://www.airalo.com/https://esim.holafly.com/

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM