Get an iPhone 14 or literally die.

AlexTheGreatish

Apple's Far Out event showed us why if you don't have an iPhone 14 and an Apple Watch Ultra you will die.

The flop year for phones ends. S22 Ultra was a pretty big flop, and this will probably also flop decently hard since its really just such a marginal difference. Hopefully this only happens this year for phone tech, but weve been at the leveling off for phones for a few years so  im not sure where they will actually improve besides just marginal changes here and there, with some gimmick features. 

I just want to state that the eSim information is just plain wrong. I know getting this videos out fast is imperative, but facts still matter. You can store quite a few eSims as you want on your iPhone currently, but only use n Number actively at a time. Where n is the number of eSims that you have in your given iPhone. At present this is one, but with the US model this will now be two at a time: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044 

You can store more than one eSIM in your iPhone, but you can use only one at a time. To switch eSIMs, tap Settings, tap either Cellular or Mobile Data, and then tap the plan you want to use. Then tap Turn On This Line.

How am i going to drive a car without the SOS? I'm doomed!

Apple : we make features that only 1 out of 1000000 people would actually use.

EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!!!!!! 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

How am i going to drive a car without the SOS? I'm doomed!

Apple : we make features that only 1 out of 1000000 people would actually use.

EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!!!!!! 

If you consider the fact that a lot of old peoples end up with iPhones because they're very simple to use, I guess it makes sense to basically have complementary life alert 😂

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Can't apple including os unlocking and the notch is still bad with the little line of extra pixels

7 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

If you consider the fact that a lot of old peoples end up with iPhones because they're very simple to use, I guess it makes sense to basically have complementary life alert 😂

US centric analysis. In my country we give 100$ xiaomi to our old parents, because they mostly break it in less than 3 months.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

US centric analysis.

... Yeah, pretty much:

222902009_ScreenShot2022-09-08at1_57_29AM.thumb.png.b801fd2a89fbf273f54462ffeeebeb78.png

The Americas alone (which is itself probably US and CAN for the most part) pretty much equal everywhere else on the planet for Apple's revenue for over past decade. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

... Yeah, pretty much:

The Americas alone (which is itself probably US and CAN for the most part) pretty much equal everywhere else on the planet for Apple's revenue for over past decade. 

Yeah practically very little movement in other parts except north america.

In asia we have more option, the midend 300-500$ serve us good enough.

Are there Android phones with the kind of always-on display the iPhone 14 Pro has?

Meaning

- full screen full color background photos

- always-on advanced functions (like widgets and live activities) powered by low power co-processors

?

So Linus' sarcastic "it took them 9 years *slow clap*" is supposed to mean "compared to showing what time is it against a black screen and little more"?

1 hour ago, Saad-M said:

I just want to state that the eSim information is just plain wrong. I know getting this videos out fast is imperative, but facts still matter. You can store quite a few eSims as you want on your iPhone currently, but only use n Number actively at a time. Where n is the number of eSims that you have in your given iPhone. At present this is one, but with the US model this will now be two at a time: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044 

So this actually makes it more convenient for regular people than juggling with a number of pinky-nail sized nanoSIMs...

And this will also push more and more carriers to stop playing games and support eSIMs, gradually eliminating the "what if I need to use a nanoSIM" problem in a self-fulfilling prophecy way. 

Swapping carrier account must become as easy as swapping email account, good that Apple is pushing in that direction. 

I know this has been talked about too much already but man, the titles and thumbnails on the latest videos are beyond clickbait. Youtube algorithm favors clickbait and all but somehow other creators in the same field manage to pull off an informative titles without sacrificing their audience? Might as well put some implied nudity and unrelated SHOKING ALL CAPS TITLES instead of these, that will surely attract more clicks while having just as much value for the viewers as this bs.

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

Are there Android phones with the kind of always-on display the iPhone 14 Pro has?

one simple key factor here is the display controler no the SOC. Apple have been doing a lot of custom work within their display controllers, things like final stage compositing and anti-aliasing for screen cutouts like the notch and now the `dynamic island`.   I would not be surprised at all if they have moved even more of this to the display controller, due to how the widgets apis work the CPU and GPU could wake up and pre-render the needed assets for all the parts of the lockstreen for the next few minutes and the display controller can cache these in its own on die local cache so for the rest of the minute or 2 the rest of the entire SOC can be completely asleep doing nothing and the display controller can composite in the bits of the Lock Screen that need to be updated for each frame every second. 

This is the hardware and software integrate at its peak and what makes me very hopeful for apple AR/VR product with respect to things like input/headtrakcing/eytracking latency. 

You can always count on the childish Tech-Bro community to make an ass out of themselves as soon as Apple is mentioned....or even when Apple is not mentioned....because CLICKS.

I just downvote and close Videos like this, there is literally no reason to watch this video.

Every time Apple launch a new product I just think back to the arguments I used to have as a 14 year old boy re: Sega vs. Nintendo.  It's good, it means I don't need to come on to the internet straight away to find out what people's opinions are.

4 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

So this actually makes it more convenient for regular people than juggling with a number of pinky-nail sized nanoSIMs...

And this will also push more and more carriers to stop playing games and support eSIMs, gradually eliminating the "what if I need to use a nanoSIM" problem in a self-fulfilling prophecy way. 

Swapping carrier account must become as easy as swapping email account, good that Apple is pushing in that direction. 

eSIM has a design flaw that I still have not seen addressed.  If you turn on 2-factor SMS authentication for your account, then have to replace your phone, you can not set it up again.  You can't activate the e-sim without logging into your account, and you can't log into your account without activating the eSim to get a text message.  Apple's iMessage (if you have another apple device) and google's messanger web app (if you have Google Fi service) both work around this to an extent, but there's still a large portion of users that would be locked out of their new phone.  The only way to avoid this issue is to turn off 2-factor authentication on your account.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

Prior to my Redmi, I had been using an iPhone 7+ for several years. Only disappointments. Although it is was given by a relative, I certainly am not going to be putting any money on an iPhone anytime in the future.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

2 hours ago, Seventh_Evil said:

You can always count on the childish Tech-Bro community to make an ass out of themselves as soon as Apple is mentioned....or even when Apple is not mentioned....because CLICKS.

I just downvote and close Videos like this, there is literally no reason to watch this video.

"I'm going to stereotype this video without watching it because it's clearly a stereotype"  

Linus complimented a few of the new apple tech features.  The rest is just ribbing on Apple for pulling their standard informercial-worthy marketing BS again.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

4 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Meaning

- full screen full color background photos

- always-on advanced functions (like widgets and live activities) powered by low power co-processors

Get off your high horse, it shouldn't have taken Apple 9 years to do that. They're not your friends, and you don't need to make excuses for them.

"Widgets and live activities", any always-on display except maybe the one that came out 9 years ago has a variety of things it can do other than "showing what time it is on a black screen".

Also, so what if it's powered by low power co-processors: are you gonna wake up late at night looking for your phone thinking "Oh boy, I sure am glad this is powered by a low power co-processor unlike those Androids!!"? As long as battery life is comparable, literally doesn't matter how they got there.

"Full screen full color background photos" - I had a cheap Chinese Android (300-350USD) phone with this, had some purple wallpaper thing on a scintillating AMOLED screen 5 years ago!!

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

3 minutes ago, rkv_2401 said:

any always-on display

I don't want this. I had an Android that did do this, and it drained the battery at an absurd rate. Every time I took a step it showed up. It wasn't even in color. I lost 10%+ of my battery life to that stupid useless feature. I get the same info from Apple's current solution.

7 minutes ago, rkv_2401 said:

Get off your high horse, it shouldn't have taken Apple 9 years to do that. They're not your friends, and you don't need to make excuses for them.

He's not. He's stating how Apple's implementation is different. And it can get pretty annoying to see some of the idiots here rail on Apple for no other reason than Apple bad. This year, like last year, is a year with little development. iPhone 13 is the last iPhone to buy I suppose. iPhone 14 is a good upgrade if you are still on iPhone 8 or 10.

7 minutes ago, rkv_2401 said:

"Widgets and live activities", any always-on display except maybe the one that came out 9 years ago has a variety of things it can do other than "showing what time it is on a black screen".

Also, so what if it's powered by low power co-processors: are you gonna wake up late at night looking for your phone thinking "Oh boy, I sure am glad this is powered by a low power co-processor unlike those Androids!!"? As long as battery life is comparable, literally doesn't matter how they got there.

"Full screen full color background photos" - I had a cheap Chinese Android (300-350USD) phone with this, had some purple wallpaper thing on a scintillating AMOLED screen 5 years ago!!

My Nintendo Game&Watch had an always-on display decades before Android smartphones, joke’s on you!

spacer.png

the North American phones not having a sim slot is just wrong. Canada and Mexican iPhone 14's both as per the apple website will have a physical Nano sim slot.  along with the only 2 esim thing while you can only have 2 active at a time you can have a bunch more inactive sitting in a list for you to turn back on in the settings 🤦‍♂️

Aselwyn1

24 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

My Nintendo Game&Watch had an always-on display decades before Android smartphones, joke’s on you!

spacer.png

Yep.

On the subject of Nintendo, My Garmin has a transflective Color display much like Gameboy Color of yesteryear (presumably the LCD may be a bit more advanced, not sure on that) and is “always on”.  Means I can get up to 7 days per charge if I’m lazy and do no exercise that week.

Is it as nice as a display as the Apple Watch? No. Nowhere near. Do I think it’s more appropriate for a wrist accessory given the battery life benefits? Yes. Does that make the Apple Watch a bad product? No. It just means personally I don’t want it until it can last longer per charge.

C2F84C1E-6005-488F-9C04-5317078A7765.jpeg

32 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

He's not. He's stating how Apple's implementation is different. And it can get pretty annoying to see some of the idiots here rail on Apple for no other reason than Apple bad. This year, like last year, is a year with little development. iPhone 13 is the last iPhone to buy I suppose. iPhone 14 is a good upgrade if you are still on iPhone 8 or 10.

Hmm, fair point. I don't know what the scene is like here, and if it is as you described - fair play to point out that Apple's implementation is different - but I'm tired of people supporting Apple and their poor creative decisions to the ends of the world. Recently, I saw a post talking about Apple's (retracted) statement about why older phones such as the iPhone XS don't get their amazing Astronomy wallpapers, which is a fairly normal high-res Live Wallpaper. My 200$ Wildfire S from 2011 had a Live Wallpaper. Like it or hate it, Apple made their decision, but I was really shocked to see random people gaslighting themselves into thinking "antiques" such as the iPhone 8 Plus, XS, etc. would not be able to run it - like bruh, it's literally a normal live wallpaper that updates the (static) images displayed based on weather and location data? Apple themselves went back on this afterwards, in a rare correction, so that shows you how strange a decision this was.

There are interesting things about this update: I think the Satellite connection thing is cool and could save lives, the Dynamic Island is neat, but Apple's implementation of an always-on display is not at all something I am impressed by. People can have different opinions about it, and that's completely fine. If the previous poster were merely pointing out that this implementation is (slightly) different compared to what's existed in the past, fair play, but that's not what I gathered from their post.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

This clickbait is getting out of hand... Or do you want to tell me that an Apple employee will come and shoot anyone who doesn't buy iPhone 14?

BTW Mrwhosetheboss (who has less subscribers) also made a video on this launch and he has 4x as many views despite it not being clickbait in any way.