Watercooling Lenovo Rx 6800 xt

Hi everyone, 

Back when no Gpu's where available, I bought a prebuilt Lenovo Legión PC with an Legion AMD 6800 xt built in. 

Since then I've changed the casing to a Bequiet 500 DX, installed a new motherboard (Asus B550 F gaming) and cooled the CPU with an Arctic AIO. It works like a charm, except the GPU. 

Under load it gets pretty toasty and the fans spin very fast to cool it down, making the GPU extremely loud. Now I've tampered a with the fan curve and it didn't help much and I don't want to undervolt the gpu quite yet. I was thinking to watercool the GPU and maybe using a kit like the AIO GPU kit from Alphacool. 

Has anybody attempted something like this with an OEM Rx 6800 xt, or even better with the same Lenovo legión GPU? If yes what parts did you use, especially backplates and cooling block. 

Thanks in advance! 

BR, 

Yooora

OEM cards in general are almost always just reference based designs with a crappy, insufficient air cooler strapped to them. I'd have no reason to suspect this is anything else, but I'd probably take out the GPU, remove the cooler and compare the PCB to that of the reference 6800 XT. If everything looks mostly in the same place (I see no reason why it wouldn't be), just get one of the water blocks designed for the reference 6800 XT. Heck, if the card doesn't have a backplate on it you can probably just compare the back to see if everything is in the same place. I wouldn't fully trust this, method, but it would let you know if its even worth the effort of taking the cooler off to check.

Spoiler

front_full.jpg

back_full.jpg

Your legion GPU will be made by one of the other 'big' GPU firms.  (i.e.  The GTX1070 from Dell was actually made by MSi with their 'Aero' cooler on it just debranded)  Can you take a picture of it and post here.  We may be able to match the shroud to the OEM supplier and then it will be just a case of getting the watercooling parts for that companies version of the card

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Why go with a custom waterloop first and undervolting second? You could see a considerable drop in temps from undervolting, wouldn't cost you a thing.

Hi guys, 

Many thanks for your replies, I appreciate your feedback. 

Regarding the undervolting, I didn't want to leave any performance on the table just because Lenovo isn't capable of designing a proper cooler for a 300W card. I tried to undervolt the card using the Amd software and the results didn't blow me away, I might try again though. 

Alphacool suggested the same thing, essentially to disassemble the card and send them pictures. Wouldn't that void though any guarantee? To be honest, I don't see a way around it.. 

I will disassemble the card in the next days and post the pictures here.

Thanks again. 

On 9/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, Yooora said:

Hi guys, 

Many thanks for your replies, I appreciate your feedback. 

Regarding the undervolting, I didn't want to leave any performance on the table just because Lenovo isn't capable of designing a proper cooler for a 300W card. I tried to undervolt the card using the Amd software and the results didn't blow me away, I might try again though. 

Alphacool suggested the same thing, essentially to disassemble the card and send them pictures. Wouldn't that void though any guarantee? To be honest, I don't see a way around it.. 

I will disassemble the card in the next days and post the pictures here.

Thanks again. 

you can mostly save 100 mv and still get the stock speed and reduce temps by 2-5c but amd cards will boost higher so you get more profromace so then then would have to diel down the oc? also the fan speed will be reduced so you can bring it back up to your stock speeds or at lest that's what i gathered from under volting

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/7/2022 at 5:46 AM, Yooora said:

Regarding the undervolting, I didn't want to leave any performance on the table just because Lenovo isn't capable of designing a proper cooler for a 300W card.

I'm not sure why you would actually want to run these cards at such a high wattage anyway.

I daily run my 6900xt limited to 180w, for most games it's more then enough and if i need the extra power for specific games i can easily increase the power again.

I've modified the SPPT tables with MorePowerTool.

In 3Dmark Timespy Extreme here's some quick results

Stock(ish) at 300w power limit, default clock speeds - 10600 graphics score.

180w power limit, tuned core + vmem clocks + slight undervolt - 9250 graphics score.

That's a 13.6% drop in performance for a 50% power reduction, I'm sure there's a better sweet spot somewhere in between.

Of course that's not going to translate exactly in to gaming fps but you get the idea.