Resolution not available in Nvidia control panel & windows resolution settings

XzzDSA

Hi LTT Forum

I have a couple of IDENTICAL setups.

They all run the same LG TV, same graphics card, same cable, same GPU drivers.
 - However, on 4-5 machines I can't select the fully supported resolution.

I want to run 1440p at 120hz on all the TV's.

However only TWO of the PC's actually allow me to select this resolution at the refresh rate I want.
If I change the cable between the machines, the same pc's will have the same issue.

image.png.24daa17c1bc43d60ca244bff2e3ea87a.png
In the picture above, it should allow me to select 1080p, 1440p and 4k resolutions at 120hz, 120hz and 60hz respectively.

Does anyone have an idea of what to try next?

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Do the TVs even support 1440? That's the big question here.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Do the TVs even support 1440? That's the big question here.

Yes - TV's support 4k @ 120hz.
I'm running 1440p @ 120hz on two of 8 identical setups.

But obviously something is not the same I suppose across the setups. I just can't figure out what is limiting the data bandwith across the machines...
Again, They are all running RTX 2060 Supers, with the same cables, to the same TV's, in the same ports that are all marked with "4k@120hz". 
All the GPU's run the same driver version.

image.png

- Cool right?

The TV's model nr.: 55NANO0916NA

- Cool right?

HDMI 1.4 cable versus 2.0 cable versus 2.1 cable maybe? Shot in the dark, but it's a thought. 1.4 is limited to 1920x1080. I suspect a 1.4 cable on a 2.0 or 2.1 port would limit the output to 1920x1080.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

HDMI 1.4 cable versus 2.0 cable versus 2.1 cable maybe? Shot in the dark, but it's a thought.

2.0 cable - Supports 1440p @ 120hz, however does not support 4k at 120hz.
As I mentioned - using the same cable from a machine that has the resolution available, to a machine that doesn't, changes nothing. Issue is the same, sticking with the machine/tv combo.

I am just PUZZLED... 

- Cool right?

1 minute ago, XzzDSA said:

2.0 cable - Supports 1440p @ 120hz, however does not support 4k at 120hz.
As I mentioned - using the same cable from a machine that has the resolution available, to a machine that doesn't, changes nothing. Issue is the same, sticking with the machine/tv combo.

I am just PUZZLED... 

So you are saying you are positive that you have a 2.0 cable? Because if it were a 1.4 cable, that would explain it, as that would limit bandwidth and probably drop resolution to the1.4 limitation of 1080p. Perhaps the ports may be set to 1.4 in setup, rather than 2.0 for some reason?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Come to think of it, I seem to remember running into this on a machine recently. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think it was a mismatch between the display's HDMI version mode and the GPU's HDMI output version mode.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

So you are saying you are positive that you have a 2.0 cable? Because if it were a 1.4 cable, that would explain it, as that would limit bandwidth and probably drop resolution to the1.4 limitation of 1080p. Perhaps the ports may be set to 1.4 in setup, rather than 2.0 for some reason?

They are all 2.0 cables, no shadow of a doubt.

- The port being set to some other mode could explain it. - However I've combed through seemingly all of the settings on the TV to find something that would explain the lower resolution/bandwith... Like the HDMI mode, can't find anything.

TV's are running in the "Gaming" mode.

- Cool right?

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

Come to think of it, I seem to remember running into this on a machine recently. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think it was a mismatch between the display's HDMI version mode and the GPU's HDMI output version mode.

Okay, how would I check this?

- Cool right?

18 minutes ago, XzzDSA said:

Okay, how would I check this?

I'm still looking for that, but I just remembered something about the resolution being limited until Windows was able to download and install a driver for the display. In my case, it was a generic driver as it did not recognize the specific manufacturer and model, but the generic driver it downloaded allowed the extended resolution. So maybe try connecting the machine to the internet and let it do any updates or driver downloads it needs. It might well fix your problem. NOTE: That may require a restart.

ADDED: Having not found a specific driver on LG's website, here is a link regarding installing said generic PnP display driver.

https://www.driverscape.com/download/generic-pnp-monitor

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info, updated link

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

7 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'm still looking for that, but I just remembered something about the resolution being limited until Windows was able to download and install a driver for the display. In my case, it was a generic driver as it did not recognize the specific manufacturer and model, but the generic driver it downloaded allowed the extended resolution. So maybe try connecting the machine to the internet and let it do any updates or driver downloads it needs. It might well fix your problem. NOTE: That may require a restart.

Looking into this now.

- Cool right?

Just now, XzzDSA said:

Looking into this now.

Recheck my previous post -- added a link for downloading generic PnP display driver.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Recheck my previous post -- added a link for downloading generic PnP display driver.

Doesn't have a windows 10 driver however. Maybe I'll just try the windows 8.1 version.

- Cool right?

2 minutes ago, XzzDSA said:

Doesn't have a windows 10 driver however. Maybe I'll just try the windows 8.1 version.

Damn page title on the search said Windows 10, my bad...

Try this one...

https://www.windowsdigitals.com/generic-pnp-monitor-driver-windows-10-download/

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

9 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Damn page title on the search said Windows 10, my bad...

Try this one...

https://www.windowsdigitals.com/generic-pnp-monitor-driver-windows-10-download/

It's just odd that it would be a driver issue, cause looking at the driver versions across the PC's - They're the same.

They both have "Generic PnP-monitor" 
v 10.0.19041.1151
Dated: 21-06-2006

- Cool right?

14 minutes ago, XzzDSA said:

It's just odd that it would be a driver issue, cause looking at the driver versions across the PC's - They're the same.

They both have "Generic PnP-monitor" 
v 10.0.19041.1151
Dated: 21-06-2006

Are the latest drivers for the GPU installed? And is any OC mode enabled?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

On 9/4/2022 at 9:07 PM, An0maly_76 said:

Are the latest drivers for the GPU installed? And is any OC mode enabled?

Not quite the latest anymore, however all the same.
There shouldn't be any OC mode, however I'll have to check, later this week.

- Cool right?

13 minutes ago, XzzDSA said:

Not quite the latest anymore, however all the same.
There shouldn't be any OC mode, however I'll have to check, later this week.

I've noticed that usually when a driver update is available, my games let me know before the update software does. Don't ask me why, but I experience annoying glitches not long before the software notifies me of an impending update. Somehow, though, your description makes it seem less like a driver issue.

So that opens up the question of a firmware issue. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm wondering if the motherboards in these two machines might need BIOS updates to allow these video cards their full range of operation. Or perhaps certain software accompanying the card needs to be installed before it will operate at full potential. If already installed, perhaps the installation is corrupt.

I've seen similar situations before, and you've already stated swapping cables between machines and displays does not move the issue. So I wonder about the firmware. Is it possible to try swapping the card from one of the problem machines to another machine that doesn't have this issue? If the issue doesn't move to the second machine in that instance, it could be a firmware issue in the first machine, or possibly some other component in that machine (RAM, for instance -- crazy as it may also seem).

The reason I mention RAM is that I used a Crucial Ballistix kit in three different boards that caused various issues in all three. The first, a 2020 kit in an MSI B450. RAM, GPU and M.2 upgrade led to the board shutting down and requiring an RMA -- it flat refused to work with that GPU. The board was neurotic after the RMA, and in light of more recent and similar issues, I've found that even today, the DIMMs register at different speeds -- something that should never happen.

The second, a 2022 kit in an Asus TUF B550-PLUS, caused issues with waking from sleep and POST failures with no video every 8-12 cold boots. Before I thought the RAM could be the issue, I swapped the DIMMs and GPU from the first machine for troubleshooting, and the issue remained. In retrospect, all I really proved was that the same kit of RAM produced the same issue in the same board. But I also reasonably proved the GPU was not the issue, so the board was RMA'd.

In the interim of what I figured would be a month of downtime, I repowered the machine with an ASRock B450M-HDV and the other components from the build. It had minor stability issues on one DIMM, installing the other to see if it helped produced a POST failure with no video. Hmmm... why does that sound familiar? Incidentally, the machine experienced random audio-only and audio-video cutout only when gaming within another week. Another kit of RAM from the board manufacturer's QVL list cured the issue, and that machine runs perfectly now.

It was then that I learned about QVL (Qualified Vendor Lists) and why they exist. Many subscribe to the school of thought that it doesn't matter and that manufacturers couldn't possibly test all hardware combinations, insisting that unlisted components simply haven't been tested, but I don't believe that after what I've seen. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, QVL exists for a reason.

Sure, there may be unlisted components that appear to work perfectly fine, but without a guarantee of manufacturer's recommendation, I'll pass and save my money. Further, the Asus board was returned "could not duplicate issue", and was migrated to another case with the original build components and a replacement kit of RAM from tha board's respective QVL list. The issues experienced previously have not returned.

So the takeaway from that, is to never assume anything, and never rule anything out. I would never have thought in a million years that the RAM was the problem if I had not experienced a different set of issues with it in a different board.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, An0maly_76 said:

I've noticed that usually when a driver update is available, my games let me know before the update software does. Don't ask me why, but I experience annoying glitches not long before the software notifies me of an impending update. Somehow, though, your description makes it seem less like a driver issue.

So that opens up the question of a firmware issue. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm wondering if the motherboards in these two machines might need BIOS updates to allow these video cards their full range of operation. Or perhaps certain software accompanying the card needs to be installed before it will operate at full potential. If already installed, perhaps the installation is corrupt.

I've seen similar situations before, and you've already stated swapping cables between machines and displays does not move the issue. So I wonder about the firmware. Is it possible to try swapping the card from one of the problem machines to another machine that doesn't have this issue? If the issue doesn't move to the second machine in that instance, it could be a firmware issue in the first machine, or possibly some other component in that machine (RAM, for instance -- crazy as it may also seem).

The reason I mention RAM is that I used a Crucial Ballistix kit in three different boards that caused various issues in all three. The first, a 2020 kit in an MSI B450. RAM, GPU and M.2 upgrade led to the board shutting down and requiring an RMA -- it flat refused to work with that GPU. The board was neurotic after the RMA, and in light of more recent and similar issues, I've found that even today, the DIMMs register at different speeds -- something that should never happen.

The second, a 2022 kit in an Asus TUF B550-PLUS, caused issues with waking from sleep and POST failures with no video every 8-12 cold boots. Before I thought the RAM could be the issue, I swapped the DIMMs and GPU from the first machine for troubleshooting, and the issue remained. In retrospect, all I really proved was that the same kit of RAM produced the same issue in the same board. But I also reasonably proved the GPU was not the issue, so the board was RMA'd.

In the interim of what I figured would be a month of downtime, I repowered the machine with an ASRock B450M-HDV and the other components from the build. It had minor stability issues on one DIMM, installing the other to see if it helped produced a POST failure with no video. Hmmm... why does that sound familiar? Incidentally, the machine experienced random audio-only and audio-video cutout only when gaming within another week. Another kit of RAM from the board manufacturer's QVL list cured the issue, and that machine runs perfectly now.

It was then that I learned about QVL (Qualified Vendor Lists) and why they exist. Many subscribe to the school of thought that it doesn't matter and that manufacturers couldn't possibly test all hardware combinations, insisting that unlisted components simply haven't been tested, but I don't believe that after what I've seen. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, QVL exists for a reason.

Sure, there may be unlisted components that appear to work perfectly fine, but without a guarantee of manufacturer's recommendation, I'll pass and save my money. Further, the Asus board was returned "could not duplicate issue", and was migrated to another case with the original build components and a replacement kit of RAM from tha board's respective QVL list. The issues experienced previously have not returned.

So the takeaway from that, is to never assume anything, and never rule anything out. I would never have thought in a million years that the RAM was the problem if I had not experienced a different set of issues with it in a different board.

Thanks for this - I'm going to try and swap some GPU's next time I get around to looking more into fixing this issue.
Motherboard sounds the most likely to me, might simply be a setting, so I'll run though the BIOS of them and see if there's anything that stands out. Firmware updating would be a good shout to try and solve these issues.

I'll have to check up on the specific RAM installed in these machines and check with the QVL's.
I've never payed much attention to the QVL's, however what you're explaining I remember learning in the past, but in the majority of cases it seems to not be an issue. Curious. The conspiracy nut in me wants to believe the QVL's were just made for manufacturers to avoid warrenty claims. But hey, far out maybe 😛 (legally they probably can't anyway...)

- Cool right?