playing HDR10+ files on the PC (and it's anomalies)

rrats

If you have a file in a HDR10+ colour format then you might find playing it a bit peculiar as opposed to the normal rec709 video.

Very little amount of video players support them as of now. VLC doesn't support em, windows 10/11 media player needs a codec and MPC-HC requires a renderer.

As of now the best way to play HDR content is to use MPC-HC. While both media player and mpc will output the same video, there are loads of bugs in media player, such as not being able to change an audio tracks, as well as it not supporting custom subtitles etc.

Now, to use MPCHC you would need to install madVR renderer. It also supports tone mapping, which is useful. That's it. You might need to restart the pc before playing media.

If you really want to play stuff on "movies & TV" (previosly mentioned media player), you would have to consider buying the H265 codec

1 hour ago, rrats said:

If you have a file in a HDR10+ colour format then you might find playing it a bit peculiar as opposed to the normal rec709 video.

Very little amount of video players support them as of now. VLC doesn't support em, windows 10/11 media player needs a codec and MPC-HC requires a renderer.

As of now the best way to play HDR content is to use MPC-HC. While both media player and mpc will output the same video, there are loads of bugs in media player, such as not being able to change an audio tracks, as well as it not supporting custom subtitles etc.

Now, to use MPCHC you would need to install madVR renderer. It also supports tone mapping, which is useful. That's it. You might need to restart the pc before playing media.

If you really want to play stuff on "movies & TV" (previosly mentioned media player), you would have to consider buying the H265 codec

Wouldn’t vlc also just need a codec?  One that isn’t written yet?  Or is it just flat out not something it’s capable of doing?  VLC used to be the king of compatibility.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, rrats said:

You can check the HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer package as you probably have a license through some component already, in which case it can be downloaded without having to pay Microsoft another dollar: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9N4WGH0Z6VHQ?hl=en-us&gl=us

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

You can check the HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer package as you probably have a license through some component already, in which case it can be downloaded without having to pay Microsoft another dollar: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9N4WGH0Z6VHQ?hl=en-us&gl=us

Worth a look..  if you don’t have one is there a way to do it and is it awful?  There was a way to do it with blu-ray but it was like pullling teeth getting it to work.  If you didn’t want to spend a day or two gnashing your teeth and making up new words of profanity it was a hundred bucks.  That was on top of the drive which cost multiple times more than other types. I bought the drive, found out how evil or expensive it was to actually do, and then only ever used the drive for burning dvds.  Which it was exceptionally fast at. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Worth a look..  if you don’t have one is there a way to do it and is it awful?

If software patents apply in your country you'd have to buy the codec in that case. If it doesn't, then you should be able to get it elsewhere. IIRC that was part of the reason why VLC could offer HEVC freely, since France didn't/doesn't recognise software patents.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB