New Surround sound experience help

AustinProH

I’m interested in setting up a surroundsound system for my place, I’m not really too familiar with any equipment. 

Here’s some diplomas that I have, I live in an apartment which means that I am very limited on what I can do in a way, I am just looking for the best experience unfortunately I’m gonna have to sacrifice on a subwoofer . It doesn’t mean I don’t need one or I can’t have one it just means it can’t be the focus of what I’m looking for. 

If anyone could help supervise that would be amazing

Watching video or positional audio?  Room experience or can you get away with headphones?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I would just go with a simple 2.1 or 5.1 setup, and turn down the bass response on the sub.  No need to spend $$$ if you're brand new to the segment.  For upgrades later, sure, get a dedicated receiver and satellites.  But for "new to the segment", go cheap/functional.  I myself am currently using a Logitech z606 as surround sound compliment to my Cinemax P1's built-in soundbar (functioning like a center channel).

IMHO, 2.1 if you want minimal setup/fuss.  5.1 if you don't mind buying some speaker stands and some light DIY wiring.  Soundbar if you care even less about sound location/accuracy and truly unwilling to do even basic setup.  ATMOS is completely out of the budget and shouldn't be a consideration.